Remember when...

rainee

Actually, he's deader than a hammer. I always thought the one thing we had in common besides music was that he was the guy who would say what everyone was thinking but nobody had the guts to. You pay a price for that but for some of us it really isn't voluntary ... it's reflex I guess.

Hi!
yes, I just saw the post of Town's not too long ago and now see yours!
And maybe we'll see how strong that commonality between you and Frank is when you start naming your children, yes? :eek:

fzappa13

His earlier MoI stuff was chaotic, true, but not so much the later. Check out Watermelon in Easter Hay...it's actually almost melodic. Still, he did remain hopelessly juvenile pretty much his whole career.

Agree 100% on Springsteen. Never, ever saw the appeal.

(I followed Zappa heavily from around age 13 until shortly after he croaked)

A well respected drummer who shall go nameless called him a classical composer masquerading as a rock musician. I think that about as close to accurate a description as I have heard. When he was dying of prostate cancer the preeminent classical group in Europe put themselves at his disposal for a project as a gesture of respect for a guy that wasn't long for this earth.

fzappa13

Hi!
yes, I just saw the post of Town's not too long ago and now see yours!
And maybe we'll see how strong that commonality between you and Frank is when you start naming your children, yes? :eek:

Yes, it likely ends there but ... how many kids get to work with their dad?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So embarrassed, thank you, Town.
Didn't know Frank had uhm died... now I get Musterion's joke!
:doh:
Of course now I don't know what "going to Montana soon.
Gonna be a dental floss tycoon" means.
It's a line or two from a Zappa song. :) Though it should read, "Movin'" and not "Going".

Everything seems to be getting more and more over my head. May need to bring an interpreter here.
Just a nod to people who know Zappa.

Like, "And his hair was perfect" would instantly clue in Zevon fans.

rainee

Very well Th, but I dare say all of you, meaning you, M and fzappa, are too young to know Zappa songs anyway

rainee

Like, "And his hair was perfect" would instantly clue in Zevon fans.

And we know why you liked that line don't we, TH?
Cousin_itt.jpg

Oh and was that you dressed up this Halloween??
cousin_it02.jpg

Great costume!

musterion

Very well Th, but I dare say all of you, meaning you, M and fzappa, are too young to know Zappa songs anyway

I can recite most of the 1974 Apostrophe' album from memory. I'm not proud of the fact and wish I no longer had his nonsense in my skull, but it is a fact.

fzappa13

Exsqueez me ? When he died I grew out a Fu Manchu in his honor. You risk an eye full of the deadly yellow snow ...

PureX

My father didn't like Zappa either. He called his music sophisticated grossness. Like a lot of things in life I guess he is what you would call an acquired taste. But you've got to take your hat off to a guy that faced down the ADL, Tipper Gore and the commercial music industry.
He was an extremely intelligent guy, and an artist's artist. But I like music; clever and innovative wasn't enough for me.

fzappa13

He was an extremely intelligent guy, and an artist's artist. But I like music; clever and innovative wasn't enough for me.

Having spent no small part of my life in pursuit of music I can't say I am any closer to understanding it and its effect than I was when I started. As someone who holds Beethoven and Hendrix in similar esteem I can only say, "To each their own."

P.S. I have noted that I am drawn to the innovators much more than the practitioners.

P.P.S. Though most of us suffer from that malady that finds us thinking we are the smartest person in any given room we are in ... F.Z. usually was. The reflection from that vantage point is seldom appealing to others.

PureX

Having spent no small part of my life in pursuit of music I can't say I am any closer to understanding it and its effect than I was when I started. As someone who holds Beethoven and Hendrix in similar esteem I can only say, "To each their own."

P.S. I have noted that I am drawn to the innovators much more than the practitioners.

P.P.S. Though most of us suffer from that malady that finds us thinking we are the smartest person in any given room we are in ... F.Z. usually was. The reflection from that vantage point is seldom appealing to others.
As I get older, I care less about innovation (nothing new under the sun and all that) and more about music that touches the spirit in me, in a good way. Courage and authenticity matter to me more than clever innovation. But that's probably just an inevitability of old age. When I was a teen, music was all about the freedom, and lust, and breaking the rules. Now I wouldn't listen to most of that music. I'd be embarrassed by it.

fzappa13

As I get older, I care less about innovation (nothing new under the sun and all that) and more about music that touches the spirit in me, in a good way. Courage and authenticity matter to me more than clever innovation. But that's probably just an inevitability of old age. When I was a teen, music was all about the freedom, and lust, and breaking the rules. Now I wouldn't listen to most of that music. I'd be embarrassed by it.

I think there are those that understand the power and influence of music and used it to sell drugs (FZ was rabidly anti-drug) and cultural disintegration for profit and worse. It started in earnest with the Hippy movement and seems to have found a final resting place with rap/hiphop/whatever the latest cool name for this garbage that refuses to go away is. It's why I got out of it.

PureX

Back to the thread …

Remember when "cool" was so real and raw it was almost magical? And was being defined by the true originals, and wasn't being manufactured by corporate ad campaigns?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I like Abba.

What song defines me, hard to say? I have liked three generations of music!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Speaking of "The Mothers of Invention" I was on NY when they played Filmore East, I though the "Mud Shark' song was bit weird, but the end redone Turtles song was good.

I like Abba.

My favorite song, hard to say, after spanning three generations of pop-rock-metal music

Mainly I like jazz and classical.