Remember when...

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Remember when...

When I could be here more often. Health issues seem relentless at times, and there are the quiet times too.

Maybe someday there'll be a turn around with some of these health issues that I have and I will not be so hit and miss in posting, and function a bit better.

You TOLer's are still best there are, you are great friends and students of the Bible, keep up the Truth Smacking TOL tradition and personal Bible study, it really does matter, you never know when someone who needs to will really find out the truth and meaning of John 14:6, and act on it.

Amen!​

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Says the resident Steelers' fan. :plain: :)

Well, I guess people who live in Cleveland can adhere to Ecclesiastes 7:10 better than us Pittsburgh'ers :chuckle:

But I think you can miss elements of a thing without getting lost in or necessarily wanting the whole of it or wanting to be other than where you are.

:e4e:

I agree, but it's a slippery slope.

I think it comes down to fear.

To long for "the good old days" helps take away fear of the present. In most cases, the good old days feel safe compared to the present.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kids today will never know the terror of looking up their crush's phone number in the phone book, calling, and their crush's dad/mom picking up.
Oh, I remember one time that a couple of neighborhood boys decided to knock on my daughters window at night.
It was not a pleasant evening after my husband caught them.

musterion

I remember trick or treating on foot three subdivisions away, totally unsupervised, coming back after 11 pm with a queen sized pillowcase STUFFED with loot, which Dad, armed with flashlight and bare feet, always raided for Paydays in the wee hours.

I also remember when drive-ins didn't use FM radio.

musterion

Ah, Perkins..."I'll just hover here in the helicopter while Jim plummets into the heart of the enraged lion pride."

If you've not read it, look up the story about the time Marlin slugged some guy in the face. Not something you'd expect from him.

musterion

I remember when ever kid under the age of 12 dropped whatever they were doing whenever this sound was heard...

!

...especially if it preceded this...

!!!

(a few of you are too old to care, some too young to know...now I want a Dolly Madison Zinger)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Remember when people complained about having to pay $0.77 per gallon for gasoline?

Remember when America WASN'T at war?*

*I don't claim to remember this, but I have it on good authority that happened, and it sounds nice.

Ohhh. I remember the gas wars when gas would drop down 20 cents a gallon. Really!
Regular gas was about 27cents and ethyl was 29 cents, then I remember it being about 32 cents for regular for a long time.

When gas rose to 50 cents, we were saving gas is a big barrel. And 5 gallon metal cans, no plastic ones then.

Real oak furniture, not cheap, had plastic molding on it!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
What tings cost when:
What Things Cost in 1945:
Car: $1,250
Gasoline: 21 cents/gal
House: $10,000
Bread: 9 cents/loaf
Milk: 62 cents/gal
Postage Stamp: 3 cents
Stock Market: 152
Average Annual Salary: $2,900
Minimum Wage: 40 cents per hour
What Things Cost in 1950:
Car: $1,750
Gasoline: 27 cents/gal
House: $14,500
Bread: 14 cents/loaf
Milk: 82 cents/gal
Stock Market: 235
Average Annual Salary: $3,800
Minimum Wage: 75 cents per hour
What Things Cost in 1955:
Car: $1,950
Gasoline: 29 cents/gal
House: $17,500
Bread: 18 cents/loaf
Milk: 92 cents/gal
Stock Market: 488
Average Annual Salary: $5,000
Minimum Wage: 75 cents per hour
What Things Cost in 1959:
Car: $2,200
Gasoline: 30 cents/gal
House: $18,500
Bread: 20 cents/loaf
Milk: $1.01/gal
Postage Stamp: 4 cents
Stock Market: 679
Average Annual Salary: $5,500
Minimum Wage: $1.00 per hour

When postage stamps went up to 4 cents, everyone thought it outrageous!

fzappa13

I remember when cars didn't have seat-belts.

I remember when I inherited my grandfather's 68' Chevy Truck. It had those waist type seat belts and after having the buckle become an inadvertent suppository one too many times I cut them both out. Two weeks later it became mandatory to wear them in Texas. It was at this point that it first occurred to me that there was something fundamentally wrong with this country ... and that the insurance industry was buying legislation.

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Kicking pumpkins!

Kicking pumpkins!

All the childen went out to trick-or-treat. Most kids wore homemade costumes and carried shopping bags, brown paper bags with handles. Kid usually painted a pumpkin on them.

My daddy said the trick-or-treat was for little children, and children over age twelve only get into trouble. I know that is true; at first, I went out in the neighbourhood ringing door bells and having candy, some gave out taffy apples. There was no need for parents to tag along, and most folks had to put on the light and offer candy. Those who did not were tricked.

There were some harmless pranks, such as soaping windows, rolling, and for the daring, kicking pumpkins!

Most have carved pumpkins out on the yard and true to my father’s belief, older kids would run by and kick the pumpkins.

One time, when I was eleven, I ran with some wild kids who did these pranks. A very large man caught us; he was very scary, big and aggressive, i thought he would surly kill us. He had a flashlight and used it to examine our shoes, top and bottom, and no pumpkin pieces. We were lucky; we did kick his pumpkins, and we got away, I shall say that was my last year out on Halloween!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What tings cost when:
What Things Cost in 1945:

When postage stamps went up to 4 cents, everyone thought it outrageous!

Your point is taken, but I will take our current technology and standard of living including its cost.

PureX

I remember my old phone number. Diamond 5-1070 and it was a party line. And turning that antenna until the picture came in clear. And the day President Kennedy was shot (I'd told my mom I was sick so was home when it came on the news). And the night the Beatles came on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Seems like only yesterday. :plain:
We must be near the same age, I remember these, as well. My mother cried when Kennedy was killed. And I remember that somehow I understood, even at a young age, that something special was happening - something that only we kids recognized, as the Beetles played on the TV that night. Also, I remember watching a man step onto the surface of the moon, and even as amazing as that was to see, it was more amazing to see the shots of all the other people, all around the world, watching it at the same time (that wasn't something TV technology could easily do, back then).

What I remember and miss most, though, was the freedom that came with being a kid in the 60s. I could just get on my bike and go anywhere: the beach, the penny arcade, the playground, the woods, the railroad tracks (with the tunnel under and the swimming hole for skinny-dipping), …

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What I remember and miss most, though, was the freedom that came with being a kid in the 60s. I could just get on my bike and go anywhere: the beach, the penny arcade, the playground, the woods, the railroad tracks (with the tunnel under and the swimming hole for skinny-dipping), …
Those days really do bring back fond memories.

The last place you wanted to be was inside the house.

Now it's hard to get a kid to even go outside.

PureX

Those days really do bring back fond memories.

The last place you wanted to be was inside the house.

Now it's hard to get a kid to even go outside.
I loved playing back yard football, softball, kickball, basketball, kick-the-can, bicycle tag, ... It's true, we were outside a lot. There was't that much to do in the house.