Remember when...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Anything you want to toss out that you miss, either here or there, now or then. As you liked it, to borrow. The older I get the more of these seem to crop up.

Remember when there were only three channels you could rely on and that pesky UHF on and off. When your heart would race at the sound of the National Geographic theme or on Sunday night, Disney's?

Remember when television went off the air?

Remember when most of your childhood points of reference hadn't been closed or torn down and replaced?

Remember when summer seemed endless and years were small lifetimes?

Buzzword

Remember when a bachelor's degree set you apart from the unqualified mob and provided you with a golden ticket to financial security?*

Remember when multiple networks showed cartoons after school and on Saturday mornings because there were no channels dedicated solely to children's programming?

Remember when a place and a people could remain essentially unchanged for hundreds of generations because innovation moved so slowly?*

Remember when there were still small towns in which "nothing ever happens," and that fact combined with their own isolation to provide a comforting, contented environment in which to grow up or grow old?*

Remember when there was amazing educational programming on TV for kids and teens?

*I don't claim to remember these, but I have it on good authority that they existed once, and they sound nice.

musterion

To this day, the theme to Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom makes me think "Aw man, tomorrow's school again."

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
My TVs are all on air, or public broadcast.

I remember when 'nice girls; would say 'no' during heavy petting.

We ride in the back of pick-ups, and played around in the back seat when my parents drove.

I remember when most of us went to drive-in movies.

Krystal burgers were 10 cents and pups were 5 cents.

I remember when the Coke machine costs a nickle.

Root-beer was 5 cents a mug.

Dinner breakfast was less than a dollar and a milkshake was 10 cents.

Once it was an average Friday to head to the town square and drink Cokes. Some also smoked cigarettes.

Girls had 'coming out' parties.

I remember my first prom and who I dated.

I remember learning to drive in a field car, although I did not get a driver license until I was eighteen. Drinking age was eighteen for girls, but not boys.

Marijuana was so unknown, many did not know it was green! The wild crowd drank beers and some white lighting.

At basketball, the white public school played only white public and private schools, and latter played the black school. Rest rooms and water fountains were segregated. It seems silly now, yet the Governor was against integration. There were laws against miscegenation.

There were no homosexuals, few knew what that really was and most thought they lived in New York city and California. No one spoke about it.

Girls always wore dresses to school, more skirts in high-school, never pants!

Many kids wore glasses, as no one wore contacts. My HS year-book had about a third wearing glasses.

There was no graffiti.

Many friends lived on farms.

Went to college, had to live in the dorms, and rule was in the dorm by 11.00 PM, No boys above the lobby, all had to leave by 9:00 PM.

I remember doing things kids would not be allowed to today, dive in the quarries, swim in the river; however, no one thought a date would lead beyond a goodnight kiss.

There was no teenage pregnancy.

Freedom was doing things, not just a state of mind.

Pool was associated with the rough crowd, same with leather jackets and jeans.

Swimming pools were a status symbol, as were large cars, Cadillac and Lincoln.

Smoking at school was worse than carrying a gun, if the excuse was one was going hunting.

Receiving good grades was necessary if one wanted to be a popular athletic; I do not remember any ball plays who were poor students. Unpopular kids were not bullied, but were ignored, and treated as outcasts and oddballs.

Most parents hated the Beetles! Even college kids did not tell their parents they played rock and roll music.

Everyone went to church, even those who were not religious!

Getting a ride was "being carried".

Children did not talk when adults had friends over.

It was status when the mother did not work. Farm work was the exception, and all older women had flower gardens.

Women were considered bad drivers.

Engineering and business were male majors. Medicine and Law were alright for very bright girls, yet most were not taught to value a career. Girls were supposed to know literature, art and music, more so than boys.

Teaching was a respectable woman's profession, far more than accounting.

I remember it was just a few years much of this began to change.

glorydaz

I remember my old phone number. Diamond 5-1070 and it was a party line. And turning that antenna until the picture came in clear. And the day President Kennedy was shot (I'd told my mom I was sick so was home when it came on the news). And the night the Beatles came on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Seems like only yesterday. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
To this day, the theme to Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom makes me think "Aw man, tomorrow's school again."
Ah, Perkins..."I'll just hover here in the helicopter while Jim plummets into the heart of the enraged lion pride."

Good times. :) Which was actually a television show... :plain:

rainee

Oh TH you came so very close to getting a Barry Manilow vid that starts with "I remember".

Do you remember it?

Buzzword

Remember when people complained about having to pay $0.77 per gallon for gasoline?

Remember when America WASN'T at war?*

*I don't claim to remember this, but I have it on good authority that it happened, and it sounds nice.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Anything you want to toss out that you miss

(Ecclesiastes 7:10 NIV) Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?" For it is not wise to ask such questions.

(Ecclesiastes 7:10 NLV) Don't long for "the good old days." This is not wise.

Buzzword

(Ecclesiastes 7:10 NIV) Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?" For it is not wise to ask such questions.

buzzkill.jpg

Also, remember when people still had phone conversations using their voices, at home?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Says the resident Steelers' fan. :plain: :)

But I think you can miss elements of a thing without getting lost in or necessarily wanting the whole of it or wanting to be other than where you are.

:e4e: