Remember when...

fzappa13

Taste has little if anything to do with it. For all his warped, atheistic, God-hating faults, FZ demonstrably had more raw, genius-level musical talent in a fragment of his toenail that "borrower" Dylan ever had on his best day.

Musically speaking, yes ... lyrically? ... Mr. Zimmerman was not without talent.

fzappa13

Before I was a believer, I read the book (can't remember the title) Zappa wrote. He made some comments about organized religion that, even at the time, I found to be nothing new nor insightful and in a few places not well reasoned, and not a little spiteful and petty. And that didn't seem to be just his sardonic humor coming out, either. I was actually disappointed in him when I read that section. Anyway...Frank knows better now.

I would suggest that when your experience concerning the Word of God is primarily a result of listening to and dealing with those that claim His name it can leave your eye a bit jaundiced ... don't you think?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am friends with many homosexuals here on TOL, the only difference between you and them is there are honest and have my respect and friendship.

Your apostle, who has authority to speak on behalf of the Lord Jesus Christ says otherwise.

Ephesians 5

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret.

2 Corinthians 6

14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?

You are to use the law as the tutor to bring them to Christ. The law exposes the wickedness. And then they will hate you.

musterion

I would suggest that when your experience concerning the Word of God is primarily a result of listening to and dealing with those that claim His name it can leave your eye a bit jaundiced ... don't you think?

Given the people he said he was exposed to and whom he used to base his views upon, it was deliberately narrowed. But it don't matter.

keypurr

Now that's a beautiful thing (the '56 Chevy). I'm not quite that old, though.

I had one of these when I was 16 y/o: a 1964, 305cc Honda Scrambler, mine was powder blue and black. It was a little old, even then, but a beauty.

165179d1297036389-post-your-old-mc-photos-1967-honda-305-scrambler.jpg

I always wanted a bile but never got one. I had a hard time putting food on the table let alone one of those. My 57 Chevy was a beautiful car, it had the fins on the back. It was five years old when I got it.

Posted from the TOL App!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Remember when gas pumps were musical, had bells that chimed among the whirls and clicks? :)

There was a little gas station just past the college where I lived that had line after line of streamers with little flags on them and whenever the wind blew it sounded like applause, or rain.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian muses:
(Musty thinks a person who believes Jesus is Lord, is an "idolator")

Were that true, I'd be condemning myself.

You say that, but your anger at Christians is more persuasive.

No. Rather, people who bow down and pray to molded humanoid figurines of painted plaster - as you do

Wrong again. I'm Catholic, and as you know, the Church says that images have no power to do anything for you, and that it's a sin to attribute any power to them. Sorry about your denomination; if that's what you think Christians do, then maybe you're in the wrong community.

Just saying.

fzappa13

Yup! I believe "Barney Miller" is one of my all time favorite sitcoms!

I liked the one where Wojo is booking in a hooker and waxing eloquent about the evils of taking money for sex and then Barney's wife comes in and Wojo asks her what she is doing and she responds that she's picking up Barney's paycheck ...