Private Threads - To Be Or Not To Be?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Perhaps, yet wisdom teaches those who are unteachable, not only with knowledge, but with compassion. "What is a Private Thread"? A blog?
No, a blog would be one person writing. And while I didn't coin the "private thread" business I did set out my intent on the thread in question. I noted the gentle treatment misrepresented here by literally reposting my response entire. That's about all I can do. If people want to respond negatively to that then I think it's something for them to wrestle with and consider.

I also don't think the Boy Scouts of America is trying to insult adults by forbidding our joining up.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Or another brag?
Technically you need the first one before you have another.

A boast of superiority? A reminder if who is supposed to be the who?
Let's look:
HoFers are kind of elect in this site
Nah, we're a mixed bunch of nuts on the corner of the bar.
I thought it might be amusing and interesting for everyone to be able to see HOFers stepping in and out and give newbies a notion of the diversity around here, how you don't have to be any one thing to find a place of relative respect and longevity, despite the grumbling of some to the contrary.

Among all the threads that are accessible for anyone to say nearly anything, I don't see a great inconvenience being worked by having one thread dedicated to that purpose.
Doesn't seem like.

None of this kind of activity is Christianity.
What kind of activity? I completely shut down the goat sacrifices fool had going...okay, it was a barbecue, but I shut it down, shut it down hard. :plain:

dreadknought

No, a blog would be one person writing. And while I didn't coin the "private thread" business I did set out my intent on the thread in question. I noted the gentle treatment misrepresented here by literally reposting my response entire. That's about all I can do. If people want to respond negatively to that then I think it's something for them to wrestle with and consider.

I also don't think the Boy Scouts of America is trying to insult adults by forbidding our joining up.
TH, your original thread was a vote on flag burning, if I am aright of mind. A locked thread....... or the threat of lockdown serves no social platform purpose......... except exclusivism. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
TH, your original thread was a vote on flag burning, if I am aright of mind.
No, you're thinking of the sarcastic poll attached to Observations. It wasn't a thread about flag burning or any particular thing, though it did grow into a oft visited thread featuring the digest I kept going in the next thread of that sort.

A locked thread....... or the threat of lockdown serves no social platform purpose......... except exclusivism. :plain:
I closed to keep it from growing any larger, the way some close music threads before starting another one, which I eventually did with Quixote's. It was done. Now it's an archive of sorts, the way Quixote's will be one of these. A snapshot on old members and older jokes. :)

I close Quixote's now and again, for a day after the Gazette comes out or when people are making a concerted effort to spam it. Otherwise it's open for business, though most people only seem to stop by to read it (about three thousand and change at the half way point of this month). I don't get any rep out of it, but I do it because people like it and it's a good way to expose them to threads and conversations they might have missed.

I count that a public service. :)

bybee

Or another brag? A boast of superiority? A reminder if who is supposed to be the who?

None of this kind of activity is Christianity. It does not even rise to the level of High School Yearbook journalism!

Oh lighten up!
You've got your nose pressed against the glass?
So what!
In your theology God has created people who will have their noses pressed against the glass for eternity.
You show small mindedness and a mean spirit with these types of remarks.
You are much too smart for this.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
musique2_zps95ed0413.gif~original

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Oh lighten up!
You've got your nose pressed against the glass?
So what!
In your theology God has created people who will have their noses pressed against the glass for eternity.
You show small mindedness and a mean spirit with these types of remarks.
You are much too smart for this.

I show small mindedness and a mean spirit?

You are showing yourself . . . once again . . . :sigh: