Baking Cakes for Homosexual Couples

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

I know it was modeled after some actual place in New York, but New Yorkers are all insane. They love to be humiliated by elitist door policies. It makes them feel special, I guess.

You don't know many New Yorkers, do you?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Taking someone's money doesn't mean you endorse their behavior. Heck, interacting with someone doesn't mean you necessarily approve of them or their behavior.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

I agree, but when its a specialty created item - that's completely different, then you know what their behavior is and are participating in its celebration. Wedding cakes arent blank and sitting in the case to sell to people, its a specifically created item.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
No, the baker has every right to make or NOT make the cake. (at least that's how it should be)

Shouldn't we have the freedom to associate with who we choose?

Furthermore.... there is nothing morally wrong with the baler making the cake or refusing to make the cake. The homosexual couple can go elsewhere to have their cake made.

elohiym left me a rep comment as follows:

Why silent about Knight's comment, bootlicker? If TH had said that, you would have a field day. But you are here for something besides truth, right?

i guess he wants me to respond to you knight, and since he frightens me so much (and calls me mean names), i'd better do it!

No, the baker has every right to make or NOT make the cake. (at least that's how it should be)

if th had said this, my response would have been: "wow th - how did you become sensible all of a sudden?"

again, responding to th making that comment: "but what about the poor offended people with hurt feelings? Who's thinking about them?"

(see, i was mocking th with sarcasm there)

Furthermore.... there is nothing morally wrong with the baler making the cake or refusing to make the cake. The homosexual couple can go elsewhere to have their cake made.

again, responding to a hypothetical th: "ok - who are you and does th know you're using his keyboard?"

there - that should make elo happy :)

who knew he was one of town's sycophants?

Last edited:

PureX

Forcing people to violate their personal religious beliefs is not treating people fairly, even if you are a homosexual or an atheist and think you're so much better than them.
There is no force involved, whatever. I have pointed this out on every of the other twenty or so threads about this subject, but for some reason, the super-Christians are so intent on imagining themselves to be the victims, rather than the victimizers, that they absolutely will not recognize this simple fact of reality.

No one is being forced to do anything against their will. No one has to make anyone a cake, for any reason, ever. Bu one has to sell anything to anyone they don't want to.

All that is being asked and expected, is that commerce be conducted fairly and honestly. We aren't allowed to deceive people and cheat them just because we don't like them, or we don't like their heir moral codes.

IMJerusha

Or maybe they already are, as they have finally realized that:

"Refusing to serve a sinner is a sure sign of the most disgusting disease….self-righteousness."

No, I don't think that Yeshua served up sinners behaviors as okay. He said "Go, and sin no more." not go ahead and continue as you are.

IMJerusha

Ah, yes. I do see now.... :think:

I don't think you do. Taking a stand against homosexual behavior is not the same thing as taking a stand against homosexuals. It's one thing to love a person and a whole other thing to love their sin. If a person refuses to separate themselves from a sinful lifestyle, they get shunned, plain and simple.

musterion

And this, sadly, would make you a target: Gay couples would swarm to your store and watch the litigation and lawsuits start flying. Then you would be forced to pay 10s of thousands of dollars in fines. :nono:

You would now be sued by inhuman humanists for simply posting the sign.

musterion

Originally Posted by Truster
Refusing to serve a sinner is a sure sign of the most disgusting disease….self-righteousness.
The manager of a local abortion clinic comes to a baker to request five cakes for a party to celebrate the abattoir's anniversary. The cakes are to simulate, as closely as possible, newborn babies. Some are to be white cake, some chocolate, but all must be the correct size, have varied icings for hair and facial features, and are all to be filled with raspberry jam. There is no question the baker is skilled enough to pull this off with no problem, and the clinic says money is no object.

Would refusing the job because she opposes abortion make the baker self-righteous? Would she disgust you if she refused the job?

TracerBullet

like only allowing white people into your place of business

just like these young men could have chosen to go eat at a different establishment

home_pic.jpg

musterion

Originally Posted by Truster
Refusing to serve a sinner is a sure sign of the most disgusting disease….self-righteousness.
The transmission on San Francisco's Sodomy-On-Wheels mobile fornication van has begun to slip badly. It's towed to an AAMCO owned and operated by a fundamentalist. The mechanic has read news stories and knows what this van is all about but the van's owner pleads with him to get it back on the road and even flashes a wad of $100s if he gets the van up on the lift pronto.

Would refusing the job because he opposes homosexuality and fornication make the mechanic self-righteous? Would he disgust you if he refused the job?

TracerBullet

Says who?

If a baker considers his business a "Christian bakery" then it is a "Christian bakery."

And who are you to say they can't make that determination?

This is the whole problem, right here.

Once upon a time, business licenses were granted so that people could conduct business in a way that was safe for the populace and so that taxes could be collected.

Now, a business license is another tool used for social engineering.

In order to maintain a business license you have to participate in religious ceremonies against your conscience.

I see, so there are implied "no judgment" clauses in business licenses now?

Not only does the first amendment give the baker the right stand behind the counter and pass judgment on sexual perverts who walks through the door the "Christian baker" has a moral obligation to make right judgments (John 7:24), he or she is morally bound to abhor what is evil (Rom 12:9) and the bible forbids them to take part in a perverted gay wedding ceremony saying "Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. (Ephesians 5:11).

Bottom line, our government has cross the line the first amendment was written to maintain.

the bakers constitutional right to be a bigot ends when he starts inflicting his hate onto other people

TracerBullet

I don't even need to ask them to buy something.

Where I live, most everyone is a Christian of one sort or another....like it used to be in America. We don't behave like snakes. There's an expectation of Christian behavior amongst the population and those who can't be bothered to cough that up are given the choice to change up or get out. We do have a few of the Hindi persuasion here but even they behave like Christians.

maybe you should start behaving like them too

musterion

The apostle Paul denounced the idolatry he encountered among the Gentiles. Many repented but many more did not. A man named Alexander, a coppersmith who made his living from the manufacture and sale of idols, evidently went out of his way to give Paul as much trouble as he could; or as Paul worded it to Timothy, "he did me great harm." Toward the end of his life, Paul looked forward to God rewarding Alexander "according to his works."

Was Paul self-righteous for his imprecation against Alexander? Does he disgust you for writing this to Timothy?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I agree, but when its a specialty created item - that's completely different, then you know what their behavior is and are participating in its celebration. Wedding cakes arent blank and sitting in the case to sell to people, its a specifically created item.

No, you're mixing eggs and flour. If you were there at the reception, that's celebrating. Doing your job ain't the same thing.

For that matter, supposing a gay couple doing a quick city hall marriage grabbed a cake off the shelf and mentioned "Hey, it's for our wedding, we're eloping," what then?

P.S. Are you saying craftmanship always implies "celebration" of the event or end user? What if a guy making an ice sculpture for a 50th anniversary for the Genoveses hates Italians? Is he "celebrating" their anniversary or just doing his job? What if a photographer does a shoot for a magazine and hates the subject of the cover? Is the photographer "celebrating" the subject, or just doing what he's good at? If a jeweler crafts a specialty work for a Muslim couple and detests Muslims, is she "celebrating" her customer's religion, or merely doing good work?

And so forth.

If anything, a real mercenary case could be made that taking the money from these people and putting it into your pocket is at least an economic victory for you that could be put to good use.

Last edited:

musterion

What if a guy making an ice sculpture for a 50th anniversary for the Genoveses hates Italians? Is he "celebrating" their anniversary or just doing his job? What if a photographer does a shoot for a magazine and hates the subject of the cover? Is the photographer "celebrating" the subject, or just doing what he's good at? If a jeweler crafts a specialty work for a Muslim couple and detests Muslims, is she "celebrating" her customer's religion, or merely doing good work?

ISWYDT. You aren't nearly as subtle or sly as you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.