Baking Cakes for Homosexual Couples

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMJerusha

maybe you should start behaving like them too

And how have I disappointed you?..by standing on Scripture? "If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector." Matthew 18:17

"Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds." 2John 1:9-11

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Uh...that kind of confirms my point. It's the Church of England. That's like buying your great aunt's estate at a frigging barn sale.

You said they wouldn't want to force a church, and they would force a church and they will when they can get away with here too even though there are 'church' groups that are ok with gay marriage, they will seek to be married in the ones that arent to force it like they force other things.

IMJerusha

please repent your disgusting perversion

and I can tell about the content of your character, and there is nothing good there

Genuine was right on. Consider Ezekiel 3:18-19 "When I say to the wicked, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to warn the wicked from his wicked way that he may live, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. Yet if you have warned the wicked and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered yourself.…" Not only is it loving to warn someone living in sin, it is self preserving.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You said they wouldn't want to force a church, and they would force a church and they will when they can get away with here too even though there are 'church' groups that are ok with gay marriage, they will seek to be married in the ones that arent to force it like they force other things.

No, what I asked was why anybody would want the church.

The church of what?

Freaks? Tea Party open-carry idiots? Homophobes? Neo-Confed racists? Nutters? Deniers? Morons who keep on punching out kids like movie tickets?

Seriously, the rate you guys are going, nobody's gonna wanna buy you at a silent auction.

IMJerusha

No, that's not the choice. The choice is to open your business to the public, and then serve the public as promised, or open your business to select members of the public, and serve only them. You just have to be honest about it. You can't pretend to do one and then do the other. That would be dishonest.

"No shirt, no shoes, no service." As long as that one sticks, "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" will also stick. How about this?..."payment is due at the time of service, no exceptions, no terms" or "cash only, no checks accepted" or "no smoking". You can not force businesses to tolerate behaviors of the public simply because they are businesses that service the public. Notice I used the word "service" and not "serve".

genuineoriginal

No, that's not the choice. The choice is to open your business to the public, and then serve the public as promised, or open your business to select members of the public, and serve only them. You just have to be honest about it. You can't pretend to do one and then do the other. That would be dishonest.

The Bill of Rights wrote protection of a person's ability to practice his religion into the very first amendment.

There is no constitutional right to force a businessperson to take your money.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned

:think:

if i'm required to serve the whole public, wouldn't it be only fair that the whole public be required to frequent my business?

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Gay couples and their friends will always remember the their cake was baked by a Christian business. I would think that would be more effective than having them to remember of being refused. Anger vs love

musterion

Gay couples and their friends will always remember the their cake was baked by a Christian business. I would think that would be more effective than having them to remember of being refused. Anger vs love

Nothing short of having Luke 13:3 and Acts 16:31 iced on it would be "effective" for the sodomites.

Oh, and an update on the reasonableness and charity of the modern atheist:

http://christiannews.net/2014/08/29...iscount-despite-atheist-pressure-bomb-threat/

PureX

The Bill of Rights wrote protection of a person's ability to practice his religion into the very first amendment.
The practice of your religion stops at that point when it does harm to others.
There is no constitutional right to force a businessperson to take your money.
There is no constitutional right that says a business person can lie to and cheat his customers in the name of religion, which is what you want to do. And for the hundredth time, no one is being FORCED to do anything. If you don't want to do business with certain members of the public, don't open your business up to the general public.

It's perfectly simple. There is no force involved. It's your own choice as to what kind of business you want to operate. But you aren't allowed to misrepresent your product or services and cheat people out of their money to time. Even if you think that's what God wants you to do.

GFR7

Same thing happens when you start talking about Yeti.

If equality before the law is the cover for conspiracy consider our founders the founders of that feast as well.

One may say it's about protecting the moral traditions of the nation, but the real motivation is hatred of the other and a desire to bring harm to the object of that hatred. It's a first step. Reestablish the inequality, then hammer on the perversion angle, dehumanize and marginalize the homosexual and, ultimately, jail and/or kill them.

See, it's easy to push a paranoid conspiracy theory if you want to. All it takes is the willingness to assume a uniformity that you can't even find in the Republican party.
Well, if you are serious and not merely rhetorical in what you've written, I certainly don't want any part of the bolded above. Leave that for the hate-filled people (like aCW: I would far rather join Tracer's camp than to deal with his venomous contempt for humanity).

I simply thought if civil unions could give them all the benefits, the matter could be resolved satisfactorily. To me, it seemed like some sort of vengeance on their part to push things this far, and not good for either side. I am not a hate-filled person and if anything I sympathize too deeply with gays and all minorities, if I must confront them face-to-face, and not with words typed on a keyboard.

To me, this has become a war of preservation of tradition VS the revisionists.
It is all about ideology and territory, I think. :think:

PureX

To me, this has become a war of preservation of tradition VS the revisionists.
It is all about ideology and territory, I think. :think:
The weird thing about this last comment, is that you seem to imagine that ideology somehow transcends the confines of our own minds and has taken on some sort of life of it's own. And it doesn't. It can't. And especially in this case.

If our respect and appreciation for the equality of individual rights in this country has surpassed our desire to feel superior by practicing bigotry (in this instance, anyway), it's not happening because some evil spirit has taken over the minds of the people. It's happening because people have come to this general realization, each as individuals, and then the collective result is that the rules of society are changing to reflect that change in attitude.

The only way these changes can effect religious bodies that want to maintain their traditional religious bigotry is if the members of that body begin to change in their own minds and hearts. There is no threat from the "outside". There is no external pro-gay demon to fight. Ideology is an internal issue. And no one can make anyone else believe something or not believe it. We choose to believe as we do of our own free will.

The conservative Christian's enemy isn't the "gay agenda" because the gay agenda can't change anyone's mind about anything. It's their own conscience.

GFR7

Anyone here disgusted by this outcome?

http://christiannews.net/2014/08/30...efusing-to-host-gay-wedding-shuts-down-venue/

Or does anyone here consider it a good, just outcome?
I was upset at that ruling, yes, and look at this:

Couple Fined For Refusing To Host Gay Wedding Shuts Down Venue

A Christian couple fined $13,000 for refusing to host a lesbian wedding on their New York farm
has decided to close the venue rather than violate their religious beliefs.

Cynthia and Robert Gifford decided not to host ceremonies anymore, other than those already scheduled, Alliance Defending Freedom attorney James Trainor told The Blaze. ”Since the order essentially compelled them to do all ceremonies or none at all, they have chosen the latter in order to stay true to their religious convictions, even though it will likely hurt their business in the short run,” he said.

New Jersey couple Jennifer McCarthy and Melisa Erwin took the Giffords to court when they refused to host their 2012 wedding at Liberty Ridge Farm, where the Giffords host about a dozen weddings a year.

The Giffords were willing to host the reception, but not the actual ceremony.

A court ruled in favor of McCarthy and Erwin, and fined the Giffords $13,000 for refusing to host the ceremony.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/29/c...t-gay-wedding-shuts-down-venue/#ixzz3Bt9aNGmz

GFR7

The weird thing about this last comment, is that you seem to imagine that ideology somehow transcends the confines of our own minds and has taken on some sort of life of it's own. And it doesn't. It can't. And especially in this case.

If our respect and appreciation for the equality of individual rights in this country has surpassed our desire to feel superior by practicing bigotry (in this instance, anyway), it's not happening because some evil spirit has taken over the minds of the people. It's happening because people have come to this general realization, each as individuals, and then the collective result is that the rules of society are changing to reflect that change in attitude.

The only way these changes can effect religious bodies that want to maintain their traditional religious bigotry is if the members of that body begin to change in their own minds and hearts. There is no threat from the "outside". There is no external pro-gay demon to fight. Ideology is an internal issue. And no one can make anyone else believe something or not believe it. We choose to believe as we do of our own free will.

The conservative Christian's enemy isn't the "gay agenda" because the gay agenda can't change anyone's mind about anything. It's their own conscience.
I understand this last very well. It is the fear of the effects on norms of permanence and fidelity - already ravished by heterosexuals and their no fault divorce - and the affects on future generations, that is the crux.

musterion

The conservative Christian's enemy isn't the "gay agenda" because the gay agenda can't change anyone's mind about anything

Yes it can, if we're talking about other people's children, to whom homosexuals demand educational access. Short of that, they settle for forcing dissenters to obey them by force of law.

PureX

I understand this last very well. It is the fear of the effects on norms of permanence and fidelity - already ravished by heterosexuals and their no fault divorce - and the affects on future generations, that is the crux.
There are no "norms of permanence and fidelity". Life is change. Times change. People change. Conditions change. Everything changes.

Therefor, everyone has to be able to adapt to the changes sooner or later, if they want to survive. I realize that conservatives don't like this thought, and that they will instinctually fight against it. But the truth is that adaptability is just as valuable a quality as resistance is.

When Christians were being confronted with their blatant racism, and the social changes that came with that confrontation, they didn't like it. And the more 'conservative' they were, the more they resisted those changes. Some are STILL resisting them.

Now Christians are being confronted with their blatant moral bigotry, and the social changes that are coming with that confrontation. And they don't like it, either. The more conservative they are, the more they will resist facing it and accepting the changes that come with it. But the changes will keep coming never-the-less. Because that's how life is. And many of those changes will be for the better, in the end, even though the conservatives can't see that, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.