Which dog are you more likely to fear?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Which one of these dogs is more likely to strike fear into your heart?

George, near as we could guess, was a Pit Bull /Great Dane mix. He was the gentlest, most lovable dog I have ever encountered. George just loved people, and people loved George!

Ziggy was a Lab /Springer Spaniel mix. Ziggy was the smartest dog I ever owned and a great protector of my chickens, he loved my family but never got used to meeting strangers, especially strange men. When a man, even one that had visited my house before, came over I had to keep him on the leash or put him in the kennel for at least 20 minutes before he would settle down and quit growling.

Take your pick. Which dog would you have rather met?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Going by your word, I would rather meet George. However, without that insight, I would rather meet Ziggy.

I have a fear of large, powerful dogs, especially German Shepherds, followed by Pits.

GFR7

George, near as we could guess, was a Pit Bull /Great Dane mix. He was the gentlest, most lovable dog I have ever encountered. George just loved people, and people loved George!

Ziggy was a Lab /Springer Spaniel mix. Ziggy was the smartest dog I ever owned and a great protector of my chickens, he loved my family but never got used to meeting strangers, especially strange men. When a man, even one that had visited my house before, came over I had to keep him on the leash or put him in the kennel for at least 20 minutes before he would settle down and quit growling.

Normally , (at first glance, by looks alone) I would say Ziggy, as George looks more vicious or "deadly" (simply due to the Pit Bull/Dane mix). HOWEVER, having read your story, and countless others now, about how very smart, sweet, loving, loyal, kind, and eager-to-please Pit Bulls really and truly are, I would now say George. Looks can be very deceiving. I've seen large Rottweilers who were kind and sweet, and small terriers that would try and take your hand off.

Buzzword

George.
I've never met a pit, but I have many friends who've had them over the years, and the report is universally positive, especially those with small children.

...it helps that my friends in this case are sane, caring individuals with great devotion to their pets.

whitestone

every dog is different Delmar,I had a pit that was sleeping one day(I was sharpening a hoe against a trailer about 3 feet from him),,my 4 year old son walked by him and he jumped up out of his sleep and grabbed him by his head and put him on the ground and swept dirt on him showing his dominance. My son is now 13 but if he gets a burr you can still see the scars,,,I put a broad-head through that dog,,,,,,

glorydaz

Train up a dog in the way he should go...... :chuckle:

Judging by the picture, that Springer looks a little too intense, course I love Pits and Danes unless some idiot has raised them. I never trust any dog completely...they are animals after all. Even those I have taught from puppyhood to take anything a little kid can dish out, I remember they have sharp teeth and can make a mistake just like people can.

whitestone

the best dog I ever owned was a dachshund named Harry,he would tree squirrels,was a come back dog and a catch dog(funny to watch),,a Coral snake bit him and he died but I saw him hold a 6 foot timber rattler without getting bit.

I'll be frank though,I was sold on dachshunds after that but none of the others I had were anything like Harry(It's the dog its self not the breed),,,I do also because I hog hunt own "Pitts"(true Pitts,not pit bulls),,the oldest dog learned from harry and the others learned from him(It"s the particular dog not the breed),,,,,,

Buzzword

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just realized the OP question was which dog are likely to FEAR, not which one you'd rather meet.

Neither.
Unless a dog is aggressive or standoffish right off the bat, I assume they've been loved.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
every dog is different Delmar,I had a pit that was sleeping one day(I was sharpening a hoe against a trailer about 3 feet from him),,my 4 year old son walked by him and he jumped up out of his sleep and grabbed him by his head and put him on the ground and swept dirt on him showing his dominance. My son is now 13 but if he gets a burr you can still see the scars,,,I put a broad-head through that dog,,,,,,

Out of curiosity was your pit an unneutered male?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Train up a dog in the way he should go...... :chuckle:

We raised Ziggy from an 8 week old pup and to be honest I alway thought that a dog I had raised would never be aggressive, but it turned out I was wrong. Ziggy was just too high strung. I always wondered if it might have been different had we not waited as long as we did to get him fixed.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I once rescued a purebred wire-haired dachshund, and he was a holy terror. He was gentle and kind to the family, and loved small dogs. But any dog larger than he was, was in big trouble if it came close. I was told that wire-hairs are very close to the original hunting dogs, bred to dig badgers out of holes. He wasn't very bright and was absolutely fearless. And he could dig out of almost anything. He got out once, and was hit by a car. Spent about two weeks limping around, and then was back to his old stuff. Finally had to give him up. Even staking the fence wouldn't keep in in.

I should have known; the vet told me that his previous owners turned him in after he ate their Bible.

glorydaz

We raised Ziggy from an 8 week old pup and to be honest I alway thought that a dog I had raised would never be aggressive, but it turned out I was wrong. Ziggy was just too high strung. I always wondered if it might have been different had we not waited as long as we did to get him fixed.

It might have been, but one thing to consider is that working dogs like that really have a lot of energy, and it can get pent up resulting in aggression. It's almost like they can't help themselves.

glorydaz

I once rescued a purebred wire-haired dachshund, and he was a holy terror. He was gentle and kind to the family, and loved small dogs. But any dog larger than he was, was in big trouble if it came close. I was told that wire-hairs are very close to the original hunting dogs, bred to dig badgers out of holes. He wasn't very bright and was absolutely fearless. And he could dig out of almost anything. He got out once, and was hit by a car. Spent about two weeks limping around, and then was back to his old stuff. Finally had to give him up. Even staking the fence wouldn't keep in in.

I should have known; the vet told me that his previous owners turned him in after he ate their Bible.

Never trust a Bible eater. :chuckle:

We had a Jack Russell, he was crazy like that...a fearless digger who liked to escape. I think we waited too long to neuter him, too. It might have helped (although it seems to come with the breed). That little dog would go after anything...even raccoons. He was great with people, though.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I had a Lab. And Great Danes have a great disposition. I like them both.

whitestone

Out of curiosity was your pit an unneutered male?

yes he was,I thought it to be dominance(king of the yard) at first,,The dog was asleep and must have had a bad dream because he just jumped straight up and grabbed the first thing he saw(my son),

IMJerusha

I'm an equal opportunity dog lover. I can't keep my hands off them.
If there is any dog that I would think twice about making angry, it's the Afghan Hound.

Damian

It has been my personal experience (as a paper boy) that terriers (especially the small ones) are the most likely to attack.