Town Quixote's

Thunder's Muse

Well, author of said sensitivity thread is currently grieving after her daughter ran away.

I think you'd be a little sensitive, too.

Cheers 'buddy'.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, author of said sensitivity thread is currently grieving after her daughter ran away.
I'm sorry to hear it.

I think you'd be a little sensitive, too.
Of course, but on this topic I don't think you're in a position to realize what people were actually up to. It had nothing to do with taking shots. I thought most of the goofy bits were simply that and good naturedly playing with the topic, as with the psycho thread.

It had everything to do with a light hearted approach and good humor. God keep your daughter until she can be returned safely to you. :thumb:

IMJerusha

Hey, I scored a 69 on the sensitivity thingy but TM closed it before I could post my result. Not sure why she shut it down.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hey, I scored a 69 on the sensitivity thingy but TM closed it before I could post my result. Not sure why she shut it down.
She was having a family situation that I'd bet most of us didn't know about and so the good natured play seemed to her a form of mockery. She'll right her ship in time and realize the mistake. As per her score she's already piano wired and having a daughter run away would push even someone of muted emotions into a fog, I'd imagine.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Continuing the forgotten new policy of one day lock down so the Gazette doesn't get buried, anyone who wants to correspond on the TM situation likely has my profile/PM. Prayers for the safe return of her daughter would, I'm sure, be appreciated.

The Friday Afternoon Gazette

That bar continued to be lowered in the Pagan thread...
Bar humbug...etc...

:plain:
There are times when I barly understand you. :plain:

Indeed, I think I may even open one - 'The Virtual Beer Emporium' sounds rather crap so I'll think of a more catchy title for the place...
CGImbibe?

In the psychopath thread...
Hmm... I scored 16.. :freak:
8 here...so you're what, twice as crazy as I am? :eek:

And...
That's very true. :D

:p

I don't feel quite as bad now. :chuckle:
I feel great...about not giving out my actual address. :shocked:

Until...
You have NOTHING to worry about.. NOTHING at all.. Now, what's that address? :plain:
It varies. :plain: Well, now it does.

Beloved was lamenting the odds against the Falcons in the NFL thread...
Dont nobody give my Boys a chance tonight ! I hope they shock the world !
Though to be honest they could do that just by not getting completely blown off the field...the cold, cold field of broken dreams. :plain:

Said of the poorly cobbled atheist billboard aimed through or at kids...
Makes sense as approaches go, given someone trying to get you to invest in nihilism literally has nothing to offer.

Differed over it with the stoney one...
...It's a dear Santa letter, for crying out loud.I feel like I'm trapped in a room with a pack of Puritans who'd as soon hang Harpo Marx as fling mud at him.
Because that's my reputation all right, serious to a fault. :eek:

If you can't stand some extremely gentle mockery
I not only stood it, I returned it...you didn't like that. :think:

you're in no position to lecture anybody about anything.
In that case I think you're hoisting yourself, but Merry Christmas anyway. :)

Before rex said of a Christian response to that ol billboard...
You must bruise easily.
You don't have to. It's likely hard for many atheists, contextually. But a slap at the Holy, not at the fallible men or practices of men, is an insult offered to the most meaningful part of the adherent's existence, the anchor of his life context.

You don't have to be sensitive to take offense, only insensitive to offer it.

In the sensitivity thread, things got touchy...
I started to take the test, then one of the questions hurt my feelings and I wept so hard I couldn't finish. :plain:

Oh, all right, I had a 57.

Leading to...
Originally Posted by PureX
Now, see, that just breaks my heart!
Mean. I'm literally typing through tears. My lips are already chapped from the loss of moisture. I can barely make out the lettres pn tht screnn.

While in the ancestry thread shag responded to being called a racist with...
Yeah, I'm a white guy with a Native American/Mexican wife and mixed race kids.
That's going to extraordinary lengths to keep them down. :plain:

I'm clearly a racist.
Insidious. :)

Tomorrow? Well...white Christmassy stuff and such. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Monday Evening Gazette

Had a race report...
:singer: Race Report:

Heading out of the first turn and into the back stretch it's anyone's race with Oatmeal, Angel holding place and a surging GM catching them at (6). IMJ, anna, Granite and Must are still in the running three lengths back of third (4) the last serious contenders one length behind, with Stripe, Cab, Eeset and yours truly still mathematically alive (3). :)

And in anna's Beautiful Word thread...
Silence...that's really a beautiful word, especially in the context of a darkened woods made luminous with snow and moonlight. :)

Then things got cagey...which is a good word...
Presence. Another word I like.
Fixed it for you. And certainly an appropriate word for this time of year. :plain:
Baffled. That's another good one...(either, but especially the latter use). :plain:

Then 50 confounded me...

Tried having a conversation on the choked man and police misconduct allegations...
...Again, as shown in the photo, obviously the officers on the scene were talking to 6'3", 350 lb. career criminal Eric Garner before they attempted to arrest him.
So you said. Has anyone disputed his height? His weight? His past?

Again, without a doubt the evidence and testimony presented before the Grand Jury showed that officers on the scene talked to Garner and explained to him why he was being arrested.
The question to proceed with charges has nothing to do with how reasonable they were, but with whether or not they were unreasonable. You don't have to do everything you could do to avoid indictment. You only have to make sure what you did wasn't unreasonable. Graham v. Connor essentially gave officers the right to use force in response to any resistance relating to arrest and to escalate that use as needs be. They have a lot of latitude, in other words.

When a suspect refuses to be arrested (like Garner did), what is the next step that police officers should take?
It's rather about when that line is drawn in the sand. And officers control that, don't they.

Anyway, I watched someone diffuse a situation that could have turned ugly and violent once upon a time in a ride along. One of my oldest friends was a lifer Marine MP, retired MSgt. and has for several years worked as an officer in California. I suppose I gauge reasonable behavior by him, which is probably unfair to younger, less seasoned policemen.

And...
Do you have any evidence to show that the men and women of the New York City Police Department haven't been trained in such techniques?
I didn't say anything about them not being trained, but that would have been a heck of a comeback if I had, yes it would.

Now they might have been highly trained, for all I know, but it's peculiar that one of those potentially highly trained officers employed a choking technique that's actually against NYPD policy and, one would guess, training. :plain:

Either he obeys the police officers' lawful commands or he doesn't. When the latter happens, that's when the suspect finds out who really is in charge.
No, it isn't about showing who is in charge. It's about affecting an arrest and how that's done.

Anyway, I always enjoy a liberal's perspective on things,
This is about an arrest, not your arrested development.

Then...
Undoubtedly on your ride along you didn't get the opportunity to use the carotid sleeper hold (the choke hold). As someone who had used it dozens and dozens of times throughout my career, I can't emphasize how useful it is. Not only does the officer not get injured, rarely does the criminal who is resisting arrest get injured.
That must be why it's against New York policy. Because it's so effective and safe for everyone. :plain:

Of course this vast knowledge of yours comes from your ride along with a police officer buddy of yours?
No, it mostly comes from conversations with him on the point, exposure to police and their techniques over years of interacting with them as an officer of the court and from being rational.

You should definitely try one of those. :plain:

While in the HOFer thread...
Am I in? I can't remember.
It's right there on your TOL alert bracelet.
Or in STP's case, most mornings, the "less than alert" bracelet. :)

Then a pagan said in the pagan thread...
I might be remembering this wrong. Is "3 points" a ban? I can see the infraction, but the post is gone.
It has a time limit. But for some reason they remain visible long after the point where they impact anything. . . like Christmas lights still hanging in February. :plain: It was that or elderly voters, but it's too close to Christmas.

Tomorrow? Gift wrapping, mostly... :mmph:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
YES
we have no bananas

you make monkey sad

002109-SB1.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hope you're all enjoying the Christmas holiday season. :)

Anyway, here's todays:

The Tuesday Afternoon Gazette

Spoke to method in discussions outside of the faithful...
Okay, my weigh in...as a rule then, I find love of the tenderer part a better advance. The good Samaritan over Job's friends, if you like.

Continued to scratch my head over a debate about choke holds...
Undoubtedly on your ride along you didn't get the opportunity to use the carotid sleeper hold (the choke hold). As someone who had used it dozens and dozens of times throughout my career, I can't emphasize how useful it is. Not only does the officer not get injured, rarely does the criminal who is resisting arrest get injured.
That must be why it's against New York policy. Because it's so effective and safe for everyone. :plain:

And...
Why don't you toss the readers of this thread a "factual bone" TH and show the number of NYPD carotid sleeper hold related deaths versus the number of times the carotid sleeper hold was successfully used by the NYPD without any harm done to the resisting suspect?
Because that doesn't really have anything to do with reasonable risk or the actual reason the NYPD first restricted and then, eight years later, banned the practice altogether.

By way of example, you might say holding a bazooka on someone yields a statistically superior surrender response, even with the odd property damage and death. But it really wouldn't make using a bazooka to affect an arrest a reasonable means now would it.

Then I founded a HOFer only thread for the following...
I thought it might be amusing and interesting for everyone to be able to see HOFers stepping in and out and give newbies a notion of the diversity around here, how you don't have to be any one thing to find a place of relative respect and longevity, despite the grumbling of some to the contrary.

Among all the threads that are accessible for anyone to say nearly anything, I don't see a great inconvenience being worked by having one thread dedicated to that purpose.

So, of course a few unhappy people found a great reason to be even more so...
HoFers are kind of elect in this site
Nah, we're a mixed bunch of nuts on the corner of the bar.

and I am sure they feel special because of it.
After school or chocolate and flowers special?

That's why they have that kind of thread for starter you are addressing, Rainee.
No, that's why we have the special rings that transform seemingly innocuous messages into powerful incantations and insider trading. :)

I am just happy I can post here.
It was bound to happen eventually. :plain:

And...
...None of this kind of activity is Christianity.
What kind of activity? I completely shut down the goat sacrifices fool had going...okay, it was a barbecue, but I shut it down, shut it down hard. :plain:

Then pj said...
wow, some people really take TOL serious. and themselves
You don't understand. This is the internet. When threads go wrong people die.

Leading to...
when threads go wrong ?
Oh so very, very wrong.

how do people die from a thread ?:dizzy:
The way they do anywhere, badly for the most part...some burst into flames, some spiral into the earth...others simply fade away like a bad disco tune or leap into the void with a grand gesture.

Just like real life, only lifeier. :plain:

Tomorrow? Someone gets Nanged and Nanged hard. :shocked:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just wanted to thank everyone who stops by to read this goofy thread. I tried to stay a little more regular with it this month and the response has been outstanding. Just a bit past the half way point and around four thousand views. On pace to rival the old glory days of Observations and I appreciate it.

A new Gazette should be up by Thursday...probably. :plain: Well, you know.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As per each day the Gazette runs, we'll be closed for a type reset and back up again and open for business later in the afternoon. :cheers:

The Thursday Morning Gazette

So, after suggesting someone might have a stigmatism...
A poor sport, perhaps.
A poor judge, not.
Well, if you were you'd be the last to know.

...I find a sense of humor to have very fleeting quality.
It's not for everyone, to be sure. You, for instance.

I wrote: What you really mean is that you think you're doing the serious lifting and that's why you catch so much flack.
Exactly . .
:plain: I think you catch so much flack because you honestly think that about nearly everything.

I wrote: I've been arguing with the heathen and the apostate since I got here.
You have? Could have fooled me!
Don't have to, you're doing enough of that for both of us.

And then my personal favorite dead horse, the old popularity bit...
Your MO is a continual campaign run for class (TOL) President.
Which is why I declared right wing and stood on the popular side of the Islamic Center at ground zero and the legality of homosexual marriage, to give a sense. :rolleyes:

Then Stux tried another nag...
My unaskedfor vote: Observations, Gazette, even Jack should be a personal blog account. Tag the differences.
I think that should apply to most of what passes for conversation with you. :plain:

Observations: 3,033 posts. 1,428 mine/1,605 other people's posts.

Or, as we say in the non blog business, not a blog. :nono:

Quixote's? 1,611 posts. 596 mine/1,015 other people's.

Gee, it looks a lot like Observations, with most of what's in it contributed by others.

Jack's: 563 posts. 168 mine/295 other people's posts.

(mic drop)

While in the Pagans thread, FS was on the witness stand...
As soon as I get someone to translate this for me, I'll have a scathing retort for you. :plain:

:chuckle:
I'd help out, but...you know, that's part of the services lost under sub section 6 (a) i, like I have to tell you...which I suppose I would. :think:

I think TH doesn't want his minions moonlighting as minions of other super-villains. :chuckle:
She's going to be in court for years. :reals:

Over in the HOF thread (no, the other, other one)...
I think it's mostly for the beautiful people.
Then why am I not in it? :plain:
We were afraid you'd over post. :plain:

And I think it's a big bowl of soup with a fork beside it.

And then someone else tried the popularity horse, referencing a third jockey...and no sign of chrys yet...
...AS StuX pointed out TH held many threads, and had developed a popularity with the people.
Well, my threads do well and I have a number of friends. Does that bother you? I think it might. It bothered chrys...he pointed this sort of thing out often enough too.

Town would never, nor would any moderators ever join forces to overthrow the Admin here.
:plain: More Caesar then [more to the point, Mark Antony's speech, which would have been clear but I'm omitting a bit]. If a thing is inconsiderable then it isn't worth considering. If you consider it, the association is really the end game. But I never said you weren't clever, rainee.

But I could see why we all have to be under the same rules even when TH had a perfectly good and proper intention with the Hall of Fame Thread.
Caesar, again.

But there wasn't a contest, rainee. I had an idea. One person trolled it and you played at one thing while doing another (see: your gibe admission) which is really what you do here, so all that happened is a couple of malcontents, one smiling and one not so much, took the point and fun out of a thread.

That's no coup, rainee. It happens all the time. Oh, and I got your nose. :plain:

And a new note on a poor, hapless thread and the blowback...
Elitism always bring out the best in folks don't you think?
I think anyone actually associating stature in an internet chatroom with elitism needs a broader perspective and an off switch on their computer...well, another one then.

Some of the brightest and best posters around here have always been outside of the not so Secret Order and/or the Hall and their reputations [scores] don't remotely reflect the gravitas or ability. The Hall is nothing more or less than a recognition by Knight of a sampling of people who've helped grow and maintain an interesting forum. It's not an IQ or credit score. :plain:

Before noting of one particular monkey with a wrench...
...The reason I was able to quote my original posting to that thread is because you actually captured it by quoting it. Of course you can always go edit that.
Why would I? Again, with you it's the "lookie" bit. It's what you do in my threads.

A few of yours from Quixote's
Oh lookie lookie!
Oh lookie!
I feel blessed.
You forgot to lock the thread. :)
You forgot to lock the thread. :)
You left the thread open?
Town have you been condescending again? Gracious!!!

And more like that...or the earlier misdirects within the thread:
That's just so heretical. The latest Gazette can be found here
Most recent intelligent discussion found Over there
That's who you were and are. If you fool anyone they deserve to be.

Tomorrow? A history lesson, more popularity and an unintentional petard fest. :plain:

IMJerusha

"And I think it's a big bowl of soup with a fork beside it."

Hey, the fork is great for nabbing the alphabets! I looooove my alphabet soup! :cloud9: