toldailytopic: The election is finally upon us. What do you think will be the outcome

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How so? He is either losing in the swing states by a lot, or tied with polls that use a democratic lean. So how do you figure? I am watching al jezeera right now. They think Romney is winning, but want Obama to win (badly).

That's not the polling data and trend I've been seeing. Either way we're getting essentially more of the same, though with Romney we'll see a serious stab at undoing healthcare provisions. I don't count that as a win for anyone unless the Republicants can become a party of workable ideas after four years of essentially naysaying for political gain.

Here's a Huffington Post piece about polling data.

By way of isolating on data from one swing state, Ohio, the polling all shows Obama ahead. He only needs Ohio and a couple of others, by projection, to reach the magic number.

Junius Gallio

Here's a Huffington Post piece about polling data.

Ugh. TH, I do not trust HuffPo--they're the liberal equivalent of FoxNews, and are (imho) too biased to be trustworthy.

By way of isolating on data from one swing state, Ohio, the polling all shows Obama ahead. He only needs Ohio and a couple of others, by projection, to reach the magic number.

Yup. If Obama takes Ohio and Wisconsin (both of which appear to be solidly in the bag for him), then by CNN projections he only needs five more electoral votes. RealClearPolitics places the election solidly in his hands (on their "No toss ups" map).

The folks talking about a "Romney landslide" are talking through their hat.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There is that thing with Carter and Reagan, but Carter was not ahead of Reagan in the polls as Obama is. Still, if the vote shifts as much in this election, Romney could win.

I don't think so, but no one really knows.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ugh. TH, I do not trust HuffPo--they're the liberal equivalent of FoxNews, and are (imho) too biased to be trustworthy.
Then I don't think you looked at the link, since it cited to polling data not created by HP. I don't let anyone process information for me, but I don't ignore information that can be independently confirmed either. It's a good jumping off point. And it seems in line (especially the model created by Stanford' Simon Jackman) with the New York Times model.

Yup. If Obama takes Ohio and Wisconsin (both of which appear to be solidly in the bag for him), then by CNN projections he only needs five more electoral votes. RealClearPolitics places the election solidly in his hands (on their "No toss ups" map).
One of the points made in the article, if memory serves. I think a lot of people are invested in drama and that it serves everyone to keep this thing feeling like a piano wire, but I don't believe it is or will turn out that way.

Four years ago that would have made me happy. Today I'm just curious.

The folks talking about a "Romney landslide" are talking through their hat.
Zeal brings hope and the two together, fanned by talking point friendly media outlets, can generate a great deal of smoke without much real heat.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I simply do not see how Romney pulls it off. He has next to no margin for error and needs a lot to break his way. Obama can lose ground election over election and still get back in.

Junius Gallio

Then I don't think you looked at the link, since it cited to polling data not created by HP.

I don't distrust the citations, I distrust the interpretation and the omissions. Same as for Fox and MSNBC. Huffpo is biased--but they're not downright dishonest like WND or Newsmax.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't distrust the citations, I distrust the interpretation and the omissions. Same as for Fox and MSNBC. Huffpo is biased--but they're not downright dishonest like WND or Newsmax.
Cool beans, as the kids say...they do say that, don't they? :think:

exminister

I kind of think Obama will win. As inept as he is and the fact that Romney isn't leading by a landslide is perplexing to me. I guess people love a liar and don't care what Obama says and does.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/
Click on the ruling to see all of Obama's statements for that ruling.
True 99 (22%)
Mostly True 106 (23%)
Half True 121 (27%)
Mostly False 56 (12%)
False 63 (14%)
Pants on Fire 7 (2%)

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/mitt-romney/

True 30 (15%)
Mostly True 32 (16%)
Half True 56 (28%)
Mostly False 33 (16%)
False 32 (16%)
Pants on Fire 19 (9%)

How do you tell if a politician is lying?

Not sure if you were comparing Obama to Romney, but Romney is the bigger liar. You know Romney changes with the wind, that is why his base has been so unsure about him.

exminister

I don't know, but I'm glad I live in a swing-state (Pennsylvania) where my vote will matter.

I don't know how people in states like NY, California, Texas, Illinois, etc get excited to vote, when it is crystal clear who will get their state's electoral votes before they even vote.
In those states I think it might be easier to vote third party.

LKmommy

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 5th, 2012 09:47 AM

toldailytopic: The election is finally upon us. What do you think will be the outcome?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

will let you know next week.....

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In those states I think it might be easier to vote third party.

Are there states that don't have any lesser parties on the ballot?

In Indiana the Libertarian party was the only 3rd party on the ballot, which is a change from years past if i remember correctly.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"I'm predicting Obama will take an early lead tomorrow… Until all the Republicans get off work." :doh: ~ Tim Tebow