toldailytopic: The election is finally upon us. What do you think will be the outcome

IMJerusha

Keep saying that.

Your problem, glorydaz, is you live within a worldview of your own making, relatively untrammeled by fact. If I were a betting man, I'd be willing to wager that if Romeny won by .1%, you'd say "landslide." And if Obama wins, by any margin, you'll cry "fraud."

You don't care about facts--all you care about is your worldview.

Well, here are a few facts to think about--assuming they get past your reality filter. Neither candidate will win by a landslide. Right now, Obama is in front, and it's pretty good odd that he will win. If he does, he's going to have an uphill slog, because this election has been dirty--both sides have been slinging mud and lies for all their worth.

In the mean time, however, we're definitely going to have one winner and one loser in this election. Somebody's going home very disappointed Nov 7th. In one respect, I don't care who wins--I will support the President of the United States, no matter who is elected. In one respect, I care very much--I do not agree with Romney's policies.

But one thing I refuse to do--which evidently you revel in--I refuse to put party above country. I refuse to despise the President just because he's not the person I voted for.

Interesting. Since you post of a worldview untrammeled by fact, I can't help but ask, what exactly, do you do when it comes time to say the Pledge of Allegiance?...you know, "one nation, under God"? How can one support and have respect for an office designed, in fact, to support and uphold that which one does not support and respect?

In answer to the OP, I think it will be a close call. I'm praying that Romney wins.

Doormat

I don't know how old you are, but from WW2 up until about 1984, we were doing OK.

"The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know, that a financial element in the large centers has owned the government ever since the days of Andrew Jackson…" -Franklin D. Roosevelt (in a letter to Colonel House, dated November 21, 1933)

Junius Gallio

Interesting. Since you post of a worldview untrammeled by fact, I can't help but ask, what exactly, do you do when it comes time to say the Pledge of Allegiance?...you know, "one nation, under God"? How can one support and have respect for an office designed, in fact, to support and uphold that which one does not support and respect?

Were I in a situation where the Pledge of Allegiance was being said, I would remove my hat, cover my heart, and respectfully pay attention. I never said I do not "respect and support" theistic views--I simply do not have the information required for me to be at all comfortable holding such a view myself.

I do my best to respect ... most religions. Scientologists get short shrift, as do those who attempt to falsely claim that science supports YEC, that presuppositional apologetics is a good argument, or those who claim that "Secretly you know there is a God, you just suppress the knowledge." I despise theonomy, but usually get along well enough with those who propose it.

Newman

I've yet to met a politician that wasn't good at lying. However, regardless of what I think of the person in office, the office is due my respect.

Nonono. This will lead you to accepting, with unwavering commitment, all of the most grotesque, rights-trampling, dishonest actions committed by the man sitting in the office you so respect. Would you slaughter innocent people if your ruler demanded you do so? Or would your conscience speak up amid the din of dissonant respect for an office?

zoo22

I hope it's not too close; I dread the prospect of recounts and calls of foul play and having to wait.

I dread the calls of foul play as it is. They're already popping up in anticipation. Foundations. I wonder how many conspiracy sites have assorted "Fraud!" headlines written and ready to be posted as soon as someone is declared the winner. Like newspapers printing two different "And The Winner Is..." headlines to get the story out on the newsstands as fast as possible. But in this case, "And The Conspiracy Is..."

:plain:

Junius Gallio

Nonono. This will lead you to accepting, with unwavering commitment, all of the most grotesque, rights-trampling, dishonest actions committed by the man sitting in the office you so respect.

No, Newman, it does not. To be in such a situation would require far more than respect--it would require blind obedience, and I give that to no one.

The world is neither as black-and-white as your arguments portray, nor as simplistic as they seem to indicate you think it is.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

toldailytopic: The election is finally upon us. What do you think will be the outcome?

I don't know, but I'm glad I live in a swing-state (Pennsylvania) where my vote will matter.

I don't know how people in states like NY, California, Texas, Illinois, etc get excited to vote, when it is crystal clear who will get their state's electoral votes before they even vote.

zoo22

I don't know, but I'm glad I live in a swing-state (Pennsylvania) where my vote will matter.

I don't know how people in states like NY, California, Texas, Illinois, etc get excited to vote, when it is crystal clear who will get their state's electoral votes before they even vote.

Yeah, that makes sense, and it's frustrating, but on another hand, you don't have to consider "should I vote for one of the two parties, even though I'd rather vote for 'X' candidate, who doesn't have a shot?" the same way.

I don't know much about 3rd-party campaigning strategies, but I've thought that hard 3rd-party campaigning in some of the staunchest (pre-decided) red & blue states could be effective, long term. They're not going to win anyway... But they could maybe start getting a higher percentage of voter support, gradually becoming more viable, by appealing to voters who are, in a certain sense, freer to vote 3rd-party. Besides raising the 3rd-party percentage, it could also start slimming the 2-party margin down in those states, which would be great.

PureX

Keep in mind that your vote ALWAYS matters. If nothing else, it tells the politicians that you're there, and paying attention, and willing to vote against them.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Keep in mind that your vote ALWAYS matters.

I disagree.

Yesterday afternoon, two people knocked on my door, they were Romney supporters from Texas that came all the way up here to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to campaign for Romney. They know that it would be useless for them to go door to door in Texas.

Bill Clinton was here in Pittsburgh this afternoon.

Every commercial on TV is for Romney or Obama here. My daughter was here for the weekend (she lives in Massachusetts). She couldn't get over the commercials for Romney and Obama, she said there aren't any in Mass.

The election will be decided by the people of a few states.

PureX

I disagree.

Yesterday afternoon, two people knocked on my door, they were Romney supporters from Texas that came all the way up here to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to campaign for Romney. They know that it would be useless for them to go door to door in Texas.

Every commercial on TV is for Romney or Obama here. My daughter was here for the weekend (she lives in Massachusetts). She couldn't get over the commercials for Romney and Obama, she said there aren't any in Mass.

But the record of the number of active voters ALWAYS matters. When people don't vote, the politicians know they can ignore them, and do as they please. But when people do vote, they have to at least pretend to care.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But the record of the number of active voters ALWAYS matters.

No it doesn't

Gore won the popular vote in 2000, it didn't matter, or change anything. If Obama loses the popular vote but wins the electoral vote, Obama won't do anything different.

It is completely pointless for a Republican to vote for Romney in California tomorrow. The vote means nothing. The people of Ohio, Iowa, Colorado, Virginia, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Nevada, North Carolina, Michigan, and Florida will decide the election.

Son of Jack

I disagree.

Interesting...I live in Mississippi and I haven't since very many commercials at all, and it is because Romney and Obama know that the race is decided already in this state.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Interesting...I live in Mississippi and I haven't since very many commercials at all, and it is because Romney and Obama know that the race is decided already in this state.

Correct.

Either Obama, Biden, Romney, or Ryan have been to Ohio every day the last three weeks.

I bet no one has been to Mississippi?

If you gave Obama and Romney a choice today of speaking to 60,000 people at Vaught–Hemingway Stadium or 6 people at a Starbucks in Cleveland, they would pick the 6 people in a heartbeat.

Son of Jack

Correct.

Either Obama, Biden, Romney, or Ryan have been to Ohio every day the last three weeks.

I bet no one has been to Mississippi?

Not in a long time.

If you gave Obama and Romney a choice today of speaking to 60,000 people at Vaught–Hemingway Stadium or 6 people at a Starbucks in Cleveland, they would pick the 6 people in a heartbeat.

Agreed...but why'd you have to mention that other school?:plain:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
For every rich person there are ten that think they are entited to other people's money. The "gimme" generation is alive and well.

Yep, another one of many lazy crybabys who covet what is not their own, lacking the drive or dicipline to make it happen for themselves...do you think they would like some cheese with all that whine glorydaze? :chuckle: