toldailytopic: Body piercing: is it sinful? Is it just stupid? Or is it perfectly acc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think people should be denied jobs because they have a few extra holes in their face.

When I started teaching at the college, I removed my tongue piercing because I thought it would make me look more "professional." I should never have been conditioned to think that way.

Employers are concerned about their customer's reaction to their employees. Some customers are turned off by things such as tattoos, piercings, funky haircuts, disheveled appearance and bad hygiene.

Your appearance and how you present yourself is a reflection of the company you are working for.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I will tell you the same thing I tell my children about body piercings and tattoos. When living in the real world, there is an assumption that at some point in time one will have to go out and work for a living.

Many employers do NOT want to hire somebody who has numerous holes in their face and tattoos covering their body.

Also, tattoos are forever. Just imagine how happy the soon to be wife or hubby would be to see a constant reminder of the exes name or pic permanently tattooed on their partner's body.

I remember giving a young man the same advice, nearly to the word. I hated it. It's a sad, annoying fact of life.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Depends on the person and their lifestyle, obviously. Different strokes.

My brother's girlfriend has elaborate (and beautiful) tattoos and I've had the pleasure of enjoying friendships with plenty of folks who have ink as well as piercings. It's a personal style statement and shouldn't be misconstrued.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't think people should be denied jobs because they have a few extra holes in their face.
Should the government force private companies to hire people with "extra holes in their face"?

When I started teaching at the college, I removed my tongue piercing because I thought it would make me look more "professional." I should never have been conditioned to think that way.
Why not?

Shouldn't people have the right to feel less comfortable around a person that is slurring their speech due to a metal object piercing through their tongue?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is 5000 words on stupid.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:plain: I've got ink....but nowhere that's visible unless I wear a tank top.

My wife has some ink and the obligatory ear peircings. :juggle:

The girl, boy & daughter-in law have both ink and piercings but they had to wait until they were eighteen (much to their consternation). Actually, if I had my way; they would have had to wait until they were twenty-five for the ink. Considering it's permanence I think that's a good idea but.....*meh* what do I know. :idunno:

Interestingly enough, for the piercings which would "offend"; they stick a post into the hole with no ends on it. It keeps the hole from sealing up during work but is barely visible unless you are looking for it. :think:

Quincy

I'm all for people doing it if they want, it's not for me anymore though. At one point in my life I had 11 facial piercings. Everything from the cartridge in my ears to multiple eyebrow piercings. However, all that and $5 dollars can't even buy you a sub sandwich. It got old quick, the only ones I miss are my tongue piercings, sometimes I still think they are there.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Should the government force private companies to hire people with "extra holes in their face"?

No :plain:

Knight said:

:think: Because this:

Employers are concerned about their customer's reaction to their employees. Some customers are turned off by things such as tattoos, piercings, funky haircuts, disheveled appearance and bad hygiene.

Your appearance and how you present yourself is a reflection of the company you are working for.

Cracked

All those piercings - not my thing. However, I do think they can be beautiful, as well as tattoos. I started getting tattooed when I was 18, before it was the big "in thing". However, I don't regret that I have them; the very last one I got is a cross. My tattoos can easily be hidden under a t-shirt.

I have two piercings, both in the same ear. I like them OK, but I don't know how long I'll keep them.

Dr.Watson

I'm generally not a fan of most body piercings. I judge them on a case by case basis depending on the person and location of the piercing. And tattoo's are OK, although I feel they're too much of a fad these days. I think it's now more uncommon to have ink free skin than it is to have more than one tattoo.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Most tattoos I have seen were a bad idea, once in a while I see one that I actually think is cool though. For piercing, the only men who should have any are pirates, for women ears are cool and a small-ish nose ring can be cute.

Sinful? Yeah if it was done in rebellion to someone who should have a say in the decision.

My opinion for what it's worth. :p

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Until fairly recently, my experience with tattoos was limited to WWII vets. Their tats were roughly 30 years old when I was old enough to understand what a tattoo is. I look at people with tattoos today and I can't help but recall those 30 year old tattoos, faded and blurred on aged and wrinkled skin. Tattoos do not age well.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree with Vaquero...that it's only sinful when done for some wrong motivation.

Piercings just look stupid to me. I'm pretty traditional in the sense that an earring in each ear (for women) is about all I'm interested in. More than that, especially on other body parts, just doesn't look good.

I have 3 tattoos, only one of which will look stupid when I'm old. I can't ever imagine not liking the others. A lot of tattoos on someone can either look good or really stupid. Depends on the tattoos.

Status
Not open for further replies.