toldailytopic: Body piercing: is it sinful? Is it just stupid? Or is it perfectly acc

Status
Not open for further replies.

fool

Hall of Fame
I had my left ear pierced in the early 90s. For some reason that I can't recall.
I had worked at a bar, delivering pizza, at a garage, and at a factory and it wasn't an issue any of those places but wen I pulled up to a construction company for an interview for some reason I thought I should take it off.

After some small talk the interviewer said "Well, you seem like a smart guy, you look fit and I don't see any nonsense like earrings or such so consider yourself hired".

First impressions.

KingLouie

I believe that it is purely cultural. That monkey bone through the nose might be a real turn on to the jungle tribe.

As an ER nurse in American I've seen all sorts of piercings and tatooes. Recently I saw a guy who had large splotches of geeen tatooes all over his face/body and over a dozen facial pins. His female companion had hot pink hair but otherwise fairly normal in comparison to him.

The had a baby with them and I remember thinking, poor kid doesn't stand a chance.....

Within the context of our society in America; I can't help but wonder why someone would disfigure themselves this way, if the are normal thinking adults.

I try to be open minded about tatooes and piercing, but at some point I begin to question the person's state of mind.

As far as sin goes... I think that as long as you are not deliberately trying to be offensive (ie: Using profanity) it is not a sin.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Apparently God looked at a ring in the nose of a woman as a thing of beauty.

(Ezk 16:10-13)

10And I clothe thee with embroidery, And I shoe thee with badger's skin, And I gird thee with fine linen, And I cover thee with figured silk.

11And I adorn thee with adornments, And I give bracelets for thy hands, And a chain for thy neck.

12And I give a ring for thy nose, And rings for thine ears, And a crown of beauty on thy head.

13And thou dost put on gold and silver, And thy clothing [is] fine linen, And figured silk and embroidery, Fine flour, and honey, and oil thou hast eaten, And thou art very very beautiful, And dost go prosperously to the kingdom.

Maybe you're right. :)

MrRadish

Personal taste. I think people generally look nicer without, so I don't have them, but what other people do with their bodies is neither my business nor my problem.

P8ntrDan

Just before leaving for college, myself and several friends, whom I had met at church and proceeded to become exceptionally tight with, all went on a big road trip and finished it out getting tattoos together before heading our separate ways.

I got half of a chest piece done (tribal-ish symbol of the Holy Spirit) and while I'm sure that by the time I'm old it won't look as spiffy as it does now (relatively I'm sure it won't look that bad) it sure does get complements now. Whenever I see it in the mirror it's a reminder of my Father in heaven and my friends on earth.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I believe that it is purely cultural. That monkey bone through the nose might be a real turn on to the jungle tribe.

As an ER nurse in American I've seen all sorts of piercings and tatooes. Recently I saw a guy who had large splotches of geeen tatooes all over his face/body and over a dozen facial pins. His female companion had hot pink hair but otherwise fairly normal in comparison to him.

The had a baby with them and I remember thinking, poor kid doesn't stand a chance.....

What is it that their child doesn't stand a chance at?

SoCalPunkGirl

To each his own...

To each his own...

I've had a few piercings myself and liked them just fine. I had my tongue pierced for over 13 years and just recently removed it. No particular reason... just over it I guess.

zoo22

To me, perfectly acceptable. Depending on the extremity, it's not necessarily attractive to me, but I personally don't find problem with it. ... I don't care much how folks dress; that's their thing, and I try not to judge (however, I am not perfect).

I do think it's sad we so often place so much emphasis on appearance. As far as "stupid," I think it can be stupid the extent to which we often do care... About the the way others dress themselves as well as how we dress ourselves. I think "stupid" falls more on one's motivation regarding appearance than anything else.

I also think that appearance and dressing ourselves/presenting ourselves might as well be fun. I certainly have, and will likely continue to dress myself "stupidly"... At least in the eyes of someone or another.

Last edited:

Prolifeguyswife

I think piercing is awesome. I have two nose rings (one on each side), an eyebrow piercing, and six earrings.

OK, I'm totally just kidding. I really think it's a cool way to express yourself, though, and I always wanted a nose ring. I actually mentioned to my husband that I wanted to get the middle part of my ear pierced, instead of the earlobe, but he said no.

WizardofOz

You got me!

You got me!

I think piercing is awesome. I have two nose rings (one on each side), an eyebrow piercing, and six earrings.

OK, I'm totally just kidding. I really think it's a cool way to express yourself, though, and I always wanted a nose ring. I actually mentioned to my husband that I wanted to get the middle part of my ear pierced, instead of the earlobe, but he said no.

HAHA! You totally got me. I am surprised by your response, but in a good way. I feel I've come to know a whole other side of you PLGW. :cheers:

Truth be told, I pierced my own nose when I was probably 13 or so. My mother never allowed my to get my ear pierced prior to that. Then when I asked if I could get my nose pierced she finally caved....until she realized it couldn't be done at the mall, but at a tattoo parlor. Then it was a firm "no".

So, she asked if I wanted my ear pierced instead.:D I was over that and declined.

That day (not in an act of defiance, but in a true desire to pierce my nose) I went into my bathroom, and started pushing through the thinnest needle I could find into one of my pores. It was actually not very painful and went fast. Then I took a slightly wider needle to stretch the hole to get a stud in.

I have not worn anything in there in years, but it is permanent and I could push something through rather easily.

There is another funny story about my pierced nose, but perhaps another time.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned

Since when do you require his permission? He's your husband, not your father. Even at that, you are an adult, right?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wish certain piercings were a bit more socially acceptable.
Why don't you just admit that being a freak is part of what appeals to you! If body piercing became more socially acceptable, you would just have to raise the anti in some other outrageous way!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have always wanted to pierce something, I guess with an Indian tipped arrow, but the tip broke off in a tree and from then on, I settled for regular broad edged arrows.

I think I would laugh now if I saw someone with an arrow through their nose.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Why don't you just admit that being a freak is part of what appeals to you! If body piercing became more socially acceptable, you would just have to raise the anti in some other outrageous way!

Well I'm certainly not normal, or so I've been told. And people that tell me that seem rather boring, repressed, weak-minded, weaker-willed and maybe just a little jealous.

I just think that people should be free to accessorize themselves in what ever manner they choose. And such a choice should not hinder them in any way. I think discriminating against someone that has, for instance, a pierced eyebrow is just as silly as discriminating against someone that is clean shaven.

I believe in freedom of expression as much as I believe in freedom of religion and freedom of speech. I think as a Christian, you believe in some rather loony things, but I accept that and would not hold it against you nor would I agree with you being denied such. I may not agree with what you have to say, but I accept it and defend your right to it just the same. If you choose to express yourself by not having piercings, tattoos or whatever and appearing in a manner that i find rather bland and boring, that is your choice as well, and totally acceptable and not worthy of discrimination. If believing in such things makes me a freak, then yes, sir, I am a freak. I am a freak and proud of it. I revel in being a freak.

That being said, why do you claim that I would do something more outrageous to up the ante?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well I'm certainly not normal, or so I've been told. And people that tell me that seem rather boring, repressed, weak-minded, weaker-willed and maybe just a little jealous.

I just think that people should be free to accessorize themselves in what ever manner they choose. And such a choice should not hinder them in any way. I think discriminating against someone that has, for instance, a pierced eyebrow is just as silly as discriminating against someone that is clean shaven.
You should be able to accessorize however you wish when you are not at work, but it is silly to demand that a workplace have no dress standards.
I believe in freedom of expression as much as I believe in freedom of religion and freedom of speech. I think as a Christian, you believe in some rather loony things, but I accept that and would not hold it against you nor would I agree with you being denied such. I may not agree with what you have to say, but I accept it and defend your right to it just the same. If you choose to express yourself by not having piercings, tattoos or whatever and appearing in a manner that i find rather bland and boring, that is your choice as well, and totally acceptable and not worthy of discrimination. If believing in such things makes me a freak, then yes, sir, I am a freak. I am a freak and proud of it. I revel in being a freak.

That being said, why do you claim that I would do something more outrageous to up the ante?
Because if you were totally accepted, you wouldn't stand out as a freak! You would therefore have to find another way to prove your freakishness!

Status
Not open for further replies.