toldailytopic: Body piercing: is it sinful? Is it just stupid? Or is it perfectly acc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ears - acceptable.
Anywhere else - stupid.

Apparently God looked at a ring in the nose of a woman as a thing of beauty.

(Ezk 16:10-13)

10And I clothe thee with embroidery, And I shoe thee with badger's skin, And I gird thee with fine linen, And I cover thee with figured silk.

11And I adorn thee with adornments, And I give bracelets for thy hands, And a chain for thy neck.

12And I give a ring for thy nose, And rings for thine ears, And a crown of beauty on thy head.

13And thou dost put on gold and silver, And thy clothing [is] fine linen, And figured silk and embroidery, Fine flour, and honey, and oil thou hast eaten, And thou art very very beautiful, And dost go prosperously to the kingdom.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Should the government force private companies to hire people with "extra holes in their face"?

The government should in no sense step in. Affirmative action is already going too far, IMHO. Companies should hire people based on their skills, abilities, knowledge, experience, things like that. You know things that are actually important when it comes to doing ones job.

Would you hire someone that is less skilled because they don't have a few extra holes in their face?

Why not?

Shouldn't people have the right to feel less comfortable around a person that is slurring their speech due to a metal object piercing through their tongue?
This should make you proud that you live in a country that has freedom of expression. You should be happy that you too have the option express yourself through your physical appearance. What are ya, a communist or something?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is 5000 words on stupid.

I see 5000 words on beauty, why don't you?

The Berean

I'll second this. Most annoying to me is the big hoops people make out of their ears. I know, its their ears not mine, but it still bugs me.

I noticed this trend with many young people over the past several years. They just keep making these hug gaps in their ear lobes. Maybe, I'm just an old fuddy duddy now but what is the point? And I am sure that they will not like it when they have to have major plastic surgery to repair their ear lobes when they are 45 years old.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
It got old quick, the only ones I miss are my tongue piercings, sometimes I still think they are there.

Is there any reason to piece the tongue? I don't get it. And why would you miss having it?

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Is there any reason to piece the tongue? I don't get it. And why would you miss having it?

I miss having mine. Part for the aesthetics of it. I had it for quite some time and it felt like a part of me. For the first few years of not having it in, it felt like a piece was missing.

Tongue piercings have other advantages, but I don't think this is the right forum to discuss those on. I really miss it for that.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I will tell you the same thing I tell my children about body piercings and tattoos. When living in the real world, there is an assumption that at some point in time one will have to go out and work for a living.

Many employers do NOT want to hire somebody who has numerous holes in their face and tattoos covering their body.

Also, tattoos are forever. Just imagine how happy the soon to be wife or hubby would be to see a constant reminder of the exes name or pic permanently tattooed on their partner's body.

Yes, good you are saying what I know to be true. I knew a man who had big white patches on his arms and chest. Once he told me he had big tattoos removed, how, he did not say, but he did it to move into a management position.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Until fairly recently, my experience with tattoos was limited to WWII vets. Their tats were roughly 30 years old when I was old enough to understand what a tattoo is. I look at people with tattoos today and I can't help but recall those 30 year old tattoos, faded and blurred on aged and wrinkled skin. Tattoos do not age well.

Ok, point in fact, I was a small child back then. My father told me only non-coms got tattoos, not officers. I think this held over to tattoos being rebuked by business executives. This may change over time, yet a small professionally done tattoo is quite different than a big one.

Quincy

Nah, there isn't really a reason to get any piercing. Just something people want to do I guess, that's why I did. I had the middle and tip of mine. I miss them because unlike most piercings they are actually kind of inside you. It's like when someone chews gum or tobacco all the time. They miss it when it's gone, it becomes a part of you. That and it was a lot easier to make friends. :noid:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Depends on the person and their lifestyle, obviously. Different strokes.

My brother's girlfriend has elaborate (and beautiful) tattoos and I've had the pleasure of enjoying friendships with plenty of folks who have ink as well as piercings. It's a personal style statement and shouldn't be misconstrued.

Yes, personal statement freely rejected by others.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 4th, 2010 09:41 AM

toldailytopic: Body piercing: is it sinful? Is it just stupid? Or is it perfectly acceptable?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sin? No.
Stupid? Ears I find pretty normal but most others I don't get. Why do I think that way? :idunno: I guess it's mostly a cultural thing.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Is there any reason to pierce anything? Well, there are reasons, but any good ones? :chuckle:

I miss having mine. Part for the aesthetics of it. I had it for quite some time and it felt like a part of me. For the first few years of not having it in, it felt like a piece was missing.

Tongue piercings have other advantages, but I don't think this is the right forum to discuss those on. I really miss it for that.

:doh:

Quincy

:crackup:

I seriously can't comprehend what would compel anyone to do that. :confused:

It's just to say that you did. Some people are just drawn to the extravagant and some people are addicted to pain...... I definitely would have never done that many though even when I was interested in them.

Thunder's Muse

I had my nose done several years ago but it was done so badly that the ring fell out and I just never had it re-done.

I like some piercings and others I just don't get...but different strokes for different folks, I think.

I really want some tatts but just don't have the money for them. Besides, I'm nearly 40, so it just may be too late for me to do that stuff....

Arthur Brain

I will tell you the same thing I tell my children about body piercings and tattoos. When living in the real world, there is an assumption that at some point in time one will have to go out and work for a living.

Many employers do NOT want to hire somebody who has numerous holes in their face and tattoos covering their body.

Also, tattoos are forever. Just imagine how happy the soon to be wife or hubby would be to see a constant reminder of the exes name or pic permanently tattooed on their partner's body.

I'm in two minds over this. On the one hand anybody should have the personal choice to pierce/tattoo without any prejudice from future (even present) employers. In my previous job I saw glaring hypocrisy in terms of this. One person was actually a professional part time tattooist who had them literally from the top of his head to his feet and also had a permanent position. In my own office there was a temporary office girl who dressed up in more 'cyber goth' ways with ear piercings, make up and wigs who was darn good at the job but passed over for permanent positions because of her appearance. I initially found her looks somewhat different, but we became friends and I found the ignorant prejudice so much more offensive than those who would deny employment due to appearance.

Sadly, on a realistic level I can also see your argument.

Where it comes to tattooing names even more so. Bad move....

Cracked

Until fairly recently, my experience with tattoos was limited to WWII vets. Their tats were roughly 30 years old when I was old enough to understand what a tattoo is. I look at people with tattoos today and I can't help but recall those 30 year old tattoos, faded and blurred on aged and wrinkled skin. Tattoos do not age well.

Brother, people do not age well.

Status
Not open for further replies.