Talk about your sins!

glorydaz

Your right. It is arrogant of me to assume I am saved. God is in control. Only he knows. I can only do my best to continue my relationship with him, and work hard to please him. I am forever thankful for the opportunity I have to even know him. I am lucky to know himZ

Only those who are saved can have assurance of salvation. I'm pleased that you have that assurance. Never listen to Meshak ...she doesn't know what it means to be saved.

glorydaz

What did I do that will take people to hell with me? Please tell me specifically so I can understand.

This is a good example of why you don't want to be talking about your sins. Either you are a sinner or a saint. There is no middle ground. Since you seem to be a fairly new believer, I imagine you've not had a lot of real teaching. Most new Christians spend their time in the four Gospels and get the idea that they have to do all kinds of things to be accepted by God. Then, people begin to compare themselves among themselves. Usually, they then start focusing on the things the others are doing wrong.

The only remedy for that is to understand that believers are no longer under the law for righteousness. Romans 10:4KJV It is no longer what we do, but what God does in and through us. We don't get to take any credit for any good thing that we do....boasting is excluded by the law of faith. Romans 3:27KJV On the flip side, God sees us as perfect IN CHRIST JESUS. Don't argue with God...reckon it to be so. That's faith.

glorydaz

I don't claim to be saved, perfect nor sinless.

You judge me as not humble, it seems.

You have no assurance of salvation. :(

Your lack of confidence in the Lord tells us a lot.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:​

katiecrna

This is a good example of why you don't want to be talking about your sins. Either you are a sinner or a saint. There is no middle ground. Since you seem to be a fairly new believer, I imagine you've not had a lot of real teaching. Most new Christians spend their time in the four Gospels and get the idea that they have to do all kinds of things to be accepted by God. Then, people begin to compare themselves among themselves. Usually, they then start focusing on the things the others are doing wrong.

The only remedy for that is to understand that believers are no longer under the law for righteousness. Romans 10:4KJV It is no longer what we do, but what God does in and through us. We don't get to take any credit for any good thing that we do....boasting is excluded by the law of faith. Romans 3:27KJV On the flip side, God sees us as perfect IN CHRIST JESUS. Don't argue with God...reckon it to be so. That's faith.

I'm not a new believer. But thanks for the information.

Eagles Wings

Listen I don't want to argue. Geez everyone on this forum just wants to fight. I believe that even though I am saved, I still have to or at least I want to be accountable for my sins. although I am saved, I still sin. And so do you.
This is not a contest ok. We don't have to go back and forth back and forth undermining each other. We just believe different things.
Do you think 'Geez' is an appropriate exclamation?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
When I got saved I joined a great community that was open and honest about our own struggles. It's a fact we all sin. Talking about our struggles makes us stronger, makes us vulnerable, makes people trust us, and the awareness of our own sins helps us combat it. Denying and pride is the devils work.

After church it became normal to talk about the message with my friends in a personal way. "That really spoke to me because I'm struggling with..." . "Jenny that made me think of you because last week you told us you were working on...". It was hands on. Not just, that was beautiful, ok what's for lunch.

Then I meet my future husband and his family is the opposite. So closed off, won't admit any personal struggles. No talk about self improvement. It felt like a very guarded unsafe place to be.

For me, I was also taught that we are all sinners. So why pretend to be perfect? I was taught that the goal is to be as Christ-like as possible. So I am a very type A person and I attack problem strategically. Identify the problem, identify the goal, and steps to take to get to that goal. That's how my brain works. So to become Christ like, I need to not only be aware of my sins, but make actual steps to work on them.

So I keep a journal. I pick one sin that I struggle with. I write it down, find scripture to help me, pray about it. And think of ways to work on it. That's how my mind works. Whereas my husband is like... well I just try to be the best I can. It's so general and I'm like ok well what do you need to work on? What are areas of weakness... he can't answer these questions. It's like he has been trained not to think like this, where it's so natural for me.

So here's an example... patience. We all know God calls us to be patient. My husband and I are stuck in traffic. I immediately think this is a perfect test, my patience is being tested, how will I act. That's how I think about bumps in the road. I'm more aware of it than my husband. Like when there is trouble... I always think it's the devil ringing his hands down there and thinking haha how are you going to handle this?? And there are 2 ways to handle any trouble... get angry, why me! This sucks. That stupid guy doesn't know how to drive etc. or use it to grow our faith and our character. You know what, I'm going to be late for work but that's ok things happen. I hope no one is hurt in the accident etc.

I don't know for sure what it is, maybe pride that keeps some Christians from letting their guard down a little and admitting they need some work. Sometimes it seems some Christians are super focused on others and not themselves.

Hmmm. I understand the desire to want to apply what was taught in church by discussing your weaknesses and I applaud those that care enough to talk about the sermon since most people don't.
But I think it's immature to do that and it may cause weaker brethren to struggle because they might think that as christians we don't lust, we don't get high or drunk or covet etc.

Here's what I think is the best way to deal with sin myself; I am not my sins nor am I my mistakes. I am a new born spirit born from above by grace thru faith in the finished work of the cross plus nothing. According to 1 John I have been born of God and do not sin nor can sin because I'm born of God. According to Galatians 5 I have a dual capacity, one that can and does sin and another that bears fruit. I can gauge my state by what fruit I am exhibiting in my character. And I can gauge yours and every other believer's too by that same passage. Galatians 6 tells us we are to march together as christians and we must be careful of our walk in order not to trip each other. That passage gives us several steps to take while walking with one another so as not to stumble each other.

We have to identify ourselves as victorious new born beings that are perfect in Christ, our problem is that our walk needs to be consistent with our position in Christ and the more we allow our will to be controlled by that dead man called the flesh (that we carry around on us like a corpse) the harder it is to identify who we have become by God's omnipotent love. Yet what does scripture tell us about our Savior?
That without faith it is impossible to please God. Without faith in ourselves? No but without faith that God is indeed very well pleased in His Son who now lives in us.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Listen I don't want to argue. Geez everyone on this forum just wants to fight. I believe that even though I am saved, I still have to or at least I want to be accountable for my sins. although I am saved, I still sin. And so do you.
This is not a contest ok. We don't have to go back and forth back and forth undermining each other. We just believe different things.

I agree with that. A lot of carnality here. If we are to live by reckoning ourselves as positionally in Christ I think the I John passage that says we confess our sins every night and God cleanses us is how I should deal with my regrets and sorrows for how I continue to struggle with the same weaknesses. Good topic Kate

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Do you think 'Geez' is an appropriate exclamation?

This triggered an old memory way back when I was about 15 years old, and I used the expression "Geez" while conducting ballet rehearsal in front of numerous students/dancers, and my trainer totally took me down for doing so.

I was not Christian, so I had no idea why the term I used was so bad.

But she told me it was truncating and using the name of "Jesus" in vain.

Made me feel terrible, even though I was not a believer at the time, and I never used that word again.

Unfortunately, many things that come out of our mouths (heart, mind)that reveal our ignorant ungodliness . . even without our conscious knowledge of right and wrong.

glorydaz

This triggered an old memory way back when I was about 15 years old, and I used the expression "Geez" while conducting ballet rehearsal in front of numerous students/dancers, and my trainer totally took me down for doing so.

I was not Christian, so I had no idea why the term I used was so bad.

But she told me it was truncating and using the name of "Jesus" in vain.

Made me feel terrible, even though I was not a believer at the time, and I never used that word again.

Unfortunately, many things that come out of our mouths (heart, mind)that reveal our ignorant ungodliness . . even without our conscious knowledge of right and wrong.

And sometimes it's merely an old habit or not meant the way others might think.