Talk about your sins!

katiecrna

When I got saved I joined a great community that was open and honest about our own struggles. It's a fact we all sin. Talking about our struggles makes us stronger, makes us vulnerable, makes people trust us, and the awareness of our own sins helps us combat it. Denying and pride is the devils work.

After church it became normal to talk about the message with my friends in a personal way. "That really spoke to me because I'm struggling with..." . "Jenny that made me think of you because last week you told us you were working on...". It was hands on. Not just, that was beautiful, ok what's for lunch.

Then I meet my future husband and his family is the opposite. So closed off, won't admit any personal struggles. No talk about self improvement. It felt like a very guarded unsafe place to be.

For me, I was also taught that we are all sinners. So why pretend to be perfect? I was taught that the goal is to be as Christ-like as possible. So I am a very type A person and I attack problem strategically. Identify the problem, identify the goal, and steps to take to get to that goal. That's how my brain works. So to become Christ like, I need to not only be aware of my sins, but make actual steps to work on them.

So I keep a journal. I pick one sin that I struggle with. I write it down, find scripture to help me, pray about it. And think of ways to work on it. That's how my mind works. Whereas my husband is like... well I just try to be the best I can. It's so general and I'm like ok well what do you need to work on? What are areas of weakness... he can't answer these questions. It's like he has been trained not to think like this, where it's so natural for me.

So here's an example... patience. We all know God calls us to be patient. My husband and I are stuck in traffic. I immediately think this is a perfect test, my patience is being tested, how will I act. That's how I think about bumps in the road. I'm more aware of it than my husband. Like when there is trouble... I always think it's the devil ringing his hands down there and thinking haha how are you going to handle this?? And there are 2 ways to handle any trouble... get angry, why me! This sucks. That stupid guy doesn't know how to drive etc. or use it to grow our faith and our character. You know what, I'm going to be late for work but that's ok things happen. I hope no one is hurt in the accident etc.

I don't know for sure what it is, maybe pride that keeps some Christians from letting their guard down a little and admitting they need some work. Sometimes it seems some Christians are super focused on others and not themselves.

Reactions: Lon

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts,10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 12“Everything is permissible for me,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me,” but I will not be mastered by anything.

Romans 8:9 You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Romans 6:6
We know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.

katiecrna

I try my best to make God happy and do what he wants me to do and I try my best not to sin. When we sin, it distances us from God. When we sin, the devil benefits.

When I sin, even though I'm saved, it doesn't please God.

katiecrna

So wait... you believe you ask for forgiveness once and then your done for life?
What if a saved man asked for forgiveness than cheats on his wife? What if instead of cheating on his wife he steals?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So wait... you believe you ask for forgiveness once and then your done for life?
What if a saved man asked for forgiveness than cheats on his wife? What if instead of cheating on his wife he steals?

Do you think you need to get saved again over and over? Do you believe He didnt really mean what He said?

John 5:25 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Hebrews 7:25 Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So that's it? You don't sin anymore? You don't have to be accountable for your sins because your saved?

If you died now, you would go to hell. You provided evidence of the carnal mind, and not the mind of Christ. You judge the flesh.

katiecrna

1 John 1:8-10
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Hebrews 10:26
For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

1 John 3:6-10
No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him. Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

katiecrna

If you died now, you would go to hell. You provided evidence of the carnal mind, and not the mind of Christ. You judge the flesh.

How can that be true is we are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God?

The difference between you and I is that I admit when I sin, whereas you are self righteous and aren't aware of your own sins.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
1 John 1:8-10
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
yes, before you are saved. All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory.

You prefer an out of context verse, than blessed assurance He already gave? Why listen to the devil, instead of trusting God, do you believe He goes back on His word?

Hebrews 10:26
For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
https://www.gotquestions.org/Hebrews-10-26.html

1 John 3:6-10
No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him. Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

What are the works of God? To believe in Him who was sent, Those are His own words, see John 6:28-29

Thats why its such were some of you, there are loads of people who claim to be christian because they warm a church bench, and no more believe His promises than it looks like you do.

katiecrna

yes, before you are saved. All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory.

do.

Wow, I didn't realize I was walking around with so many perfect people. According to you, after your saved your without sins.

It's interesting how different Christian people think and belief.

I for one will admit I am a sinner. Before and after he saved me. I am not perfect. Only he is.

katiecrna

I believe God saved me. I believe I am with sin. God forgives my sins. But I will never be without sin like he is. I will forever try to be as Christ like as possible.

I have the spirit in me, but I am still made from flesh. Because of this, I always need God. I need his grace and forgiveness because no matter what I do, I am still made of flesh. I accepted his spirit to help guide me, but I am not God, I am made of flesh. I will always fall short of the glory of God.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Wow, I didn't realize I was walking around with so many perfect people. According to you, after your saved your without sins.

It's interesting how different Christian people think and belief.

I for one will admit I am a sinner. Before and after he saved me. I am not perfect. Only he is.
Did you know that the word in the bible translated as perfect, means complete?

We are complete in Christ. I see you havent bothered to answer anything ive asked you though, or comment on the verses specifically one from Him.

Such were not you then? You remain in sin unwashed?

I am complete. No longer estranged from God.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I believe God saved me. I believe I am with sin. God forgives my sins. But I will never be without sin like he is. I will forever try to be as Christ like as possible.

I have the spirit in me, but I am still made from flesh. Because of this, I always need God. I need his grace and forgiveness because no matter what I do, I am still made of flesh. I accepted his spirit to help guide me, but I am not God, I am made of flesh. I will always fall short of the glory of God.

Nothing sinful will enter heaven. Why do think Paul said such WERE of you but you were washed? Are you still unclean? Are you not a new creation?

katiecrna

Listen I don't want to argue. Geez everyone on this forum just wants to fight. I believe that even though I am saved, I still have to or at least I want to be accountable for my sins. although I am saved, I still sin. And so do you.
This is not a contest ok. We don't have to go back and forth back and forth undermining each other. We just believe different things.