ECT For those who think our actions dont matter

Jamie Gigliotti

None of my sins will be held against me.
The cross has removed the penalty for sin. The Holy Spirit is responsible to deal with the presence of sin.

God is the lifter of my sinfull head. Who's yours?

So you have a free pass to sin as you want?

God's love and mercy have moved me to not want to sin, along with the memories of life with the swine.

glorydaz

So you have a free pass to sin as you want?

God's love and mercy have moved me to not want to sin, along with the memories of life with the swine.

I've never known a true believer yet who wanted to sin. Why do you keep suggesting those IN CHRIST....new creatures....might want to sin? Whatsoever things that are true, think on those things.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I've never known a true believer yet who wanted to sin. Why do you keep suggesting those IN CHRIST....new creatures....might want to sin? Whatsoever things that are true, think on those things.

Why are Christians told this---

Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Is He not speaking to believers---

Jas 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
Jas 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
Jas 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
Jas 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
Jas 4:5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?
Jas 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
Jas 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
Jas 4:11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.

Why the need--

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Why the possibility to live after the flesh--

Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

LA

Jamie Gigliotti

The point of the post was we all are doing something good or bad. This was to counter the argument do I have to do good? If one says good isn't necessary then it affirms that doing bad is perfectly acceptable for a Christian. Which obviously is completely against the truth that is found in Christ.

And as you say genuine faith will move one away from sinful actions and towards good ones.

Paul was never against doing good. Paul merely argued against doing good apart from a genuine love connection with Christ.

Cross Reference

The point of the post was we all are doing something good or bad. This was to counter the argument do I have to do good? If one says good isn't necessary then it affirms that doing bad is perfectly acceptable for a Christian. Which obviously is completely against the truth that is found in Christ.

And as you say genuine faith will move one away from sinful actions and towards good ones.

Paul was never against doing good. Paul merely argued against doing good apart from a genuine love connection with Christ.

So is a monk in a monastery making jams and jellies, sinning or doing good?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does anyone seriously think if you believe in Jesus your actions no longer have any eternal consequences? You can sin as much as your heart desires?
For eternal salvation? Yes.

You are already a sinner.
If you break just one point of the law, you are guilty of breaking the whole law.

One's salvation is not based on the tipping of the scales (more good on one side than the bad on the other side).
It takes 100% perfection.
One's salvation is based on the 100% perfection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 5 KJV
(18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.​

One.
Christ alone.
Not two.
You and Christ.

If you are relying on your own righteousness, you are relying on the wrong one.

ZacharyB

So you (Intojoy) have a free pass to sin as you want?
YUP, you got the key word right ... "free".
But, it's not the "free" Jesus was talking about.
Jesus' "free" is the freedom of not having to sin!

Intojoy's version of "free" is free grace, as in "easy believism" unto salvation.
Idiotic and moronic ... totally opposite to what the NT teaches us!

But, now for the explanation ...
Just was talking to a teacher here in BC.
I mentioned Americans have been dumbed down for 50+ years
in every which-way-but-loose, esp. through the education system.
She said Canadians have always been taught to think critically,
but they have begun to change that in the BC school system.

The average American on the street is an absolute moron in many ways.
E.G. almost everyone here will be asking demselves, "Where's BC?"

Cross Reference

And this verifies to me that he is in the faith and in Christ. See how easy it is to judge righteously?

Judgment isn't needed. Understanding is.

Only redemption from Adam's transgression happened on the cross, a universal redemption. That is the fact of it all. Having sins forgiven after having knowledge of being redeemed to embrace Christ for his salvation is a matter of faith most all nominal Christians presume upon by a wrong understanding of redemption. . . . and salvation.

Jamie Gigliotti

Temptation IS desire to satisfy one's flesh. Jesus confirmed this as being true. So what is the reason for temptation you think you might address?
I would say we are being tempted to desire, or want anything more than Jesus. This passage seems to sum things up.
"But exhort one another everyday, as long as it is called to "today," none of you may be hardened by the deceitfullness of sin. For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end." Hebrews 3:13-14

Jamie Gigliotti

For eternal salvation? Yes.

You are already a sinner.
If you break just one point of the law, you are guilty of breaking the whole law.

One's salvation is not based on the tipping of the scales (more good on one side than the bad on the other side).
It takes 100% perfection.
One's salvation is based on the 100% perfection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 5 KJV
(18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.​

One.
Christ alone.
Not two.
You and Christ.

If you are relying on your own righteousness, you are relying on the wrong one.

So a muderer can continue to muder?

HisServant

Love is the standard. You know that. That maybe is all that monk is capable of doing. He maybe doing it for the Lord.

The monk is being selfish... as are most priests, nuns, etc. Secluded in the safety of their enclaves and rarely having to witness and/or justify their faith.

God calls us to live in the world.. but not be of it.

Jesus did not die a horrible death on the cross so you can be selfish and hide from the world.... what a waste that would be and an insult to his pain and victory.

FYI, I have the same problem with all protestant clergy that are totally self absorbed with their flocks that the are of no use to the people that need them the most.

Anyhow, the Scriptures talk about freedom from guilt and sin... you would have to understand the mentality of a 1st century Jew to see its meaning.

We no longer can make offerings for our sin to cleanse us from our guilt. God has empowered us to live for him.. not live for the law or some group of men sitting in ivory towers directing our lives.

So I sin, heck yea, I struggle with it all the time. But I am also confident that humans cannot conquer their sins.. that is why Jesus came, to do it for us. Now we can rest assured that as we move through life, the Holy Spirit will work in us to create a new creature in the image he wants... not the image we want.

I can think of a few issues I had in my life that I struggled with simply because I thought I could obey and change myself.... in the end, I was stupid to think I could fix myself. When I learned to rest on Jesus and allow him to lead, he fixed me in ways I would never have thought of and the issue is no longer a problem and no longer a temptation.

And that is the real problem, if you belong to any group that has a code of conduct that is so important that it silences the Holy Spirit, you are hanging with the wrong crowd. God will work in his children when and how he sees fit... on his time table, not ours.

Last edited: