ECT For those who think our actions dont matter

Jamie Gigliotti

Can one continue to sin and still be saved?
Or let me ask it this way ...... Are you saved, yet still sin?

Since we all know a muderer can find salvation if He repents and turns to Jesus, but not if He continues to murder, I'll answer you.

If by salvation you mean have I trusted Jesus to forgive my past sins? Yes

If by salvation you mean is the Holy Spirit's presence filling me with His love, joy, hope and peace right now? Yes He is my salvation right here right now.

If you mean by salvation have I gained eternal life through Christ? I have full confidence in His promise. So I make it my aim to sow to Him.
"For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit, will from the Spirit reap eternal life." Galatians 6:8

Jamie Gigliotti

The monk is being selfish... as are most priests, nuns, etc. Secluded in the safety of their enclaves and rarely having to witness and/or justify their faith.

God calls us to live in the world.. but not be of it.

Jesus did not die a horrible death on the cross so you can be selfish and hide from the world.... what a waste that would be and an insult to his pain and victory.

FYI, I have the same problem with all protestant clergy that are totally self absorbed with their flocks that the are of no use to the people that need them the most.

Anyhow, the Scriptures talk about freedom from guilt and sin... you would have to understand the mentality of a 1st century Jew to see its meaning.

We no longer can make offerings for our sin to cleanse us from our guilt. God has empowered us to live for him.. not live for the law or some group of men sitting in ivory towers directing our lives.

So I sin, heck yea, I struggle with it all the time. But I am also confident that humans cannot conquer their sins.. that is why Jesus came, to do it for us. Now we can rest assured that as we move through life, the Holy Spirit will work in us to create a new creature in the image he wants... not the image we want.

I can think of a few issues I had in my life that I struggled with simply because I thought I could obey and change myself.... in the end, I was stupid to think I could fix myself. When I learned to rest on Jesus and allow him to lead, he fixed me in ways I would never have thought of and the issue is no longer a problem and no longer a temptation.

And that is the real problem, if you belong to any group that has a code of conduct that is so important that it silences the Holy Spirit, you are hanging with the wrong crowd. God will work in his children when and how he sees fit... on his time table, not ours.

Paul described the Christian walk as pressing on to perfection. Not accepting sin, or deliberately sinning. Repenting.

We have to be willing to let God work in us, He doesn't force Himself upon us, but rather lovingly draws and convicts of sin.

How much of His love and presence did I feel when I refused to forgive when I was severly wronged and filled with hate?. None! How much hope? None.

I could not forgive on my own. I needed his help. He convicted me, but didn't force. I surrendered and He did what I could not do, but I had to choose to be willing to let him. He gives us dominion over ourselves and His Spirit convicts us to surrender for our good, to share in His love, to spread His love.

Jamie Gigliotti

Which of your sins were still in the future when he was being scourged? Which future sins did he not take lashes for?

John says if you sin confess, repent and you will be forgiven. God knows everything in our hearts, if we desire to honor him, to live for Him, to be transformed by HIM. It is a process. Its the sanctifyimg work of the Holy Spirit at our submission to him, in increasing measure.

HisServant

Paul described the Christian walk as pressing on to perfection. Not accepting sin, or deliberately sinning. Repenting.

We have to be willing to let God work in us, He doesn't force Himself upon us, but rather lovingly draws and convicts of sin.

How much of His love and presence did I feel when I refused to forgive when I was severly wronged and filled with hate?. None! How much hope? None.

I could not forgive on my own. I needed his help. He convicted me, but didn't force. I surrendered and He did what I could not do, but I had to choose to be willing to let him. He gives us dominion over ourselves and His Spirit convicts us to surrender for our good, to share in His love, to spread His love.

Nice story.... but thats all it is. Definitely not the christian life.

Ive watched every single person who says what you do end up committing the worse sins imaginable... god show the world what hypocrites they are and to just walk away from the likes of you...

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Ive watched every single person who says what you do end up committing the worse sins imaginable... god show the world what hypocrites they are and to just walk away from the likes of you...

So what do you say is the Christian life??

LA

Cross Reference

So what?? I know and have known a lot hypocrite Christians. I was one a one time and probably still am because of yet to be unsurrendered life to Christ. So what part of what LA wrote is from a wrong understanding, irrespective of your observations of how you and others like you might chose to live your lives in Christ and excuse it away as being something all true Christians do?

OMT: Your last line is a lie unless you maybe know only one person.

Jamie Gigliotti

Which sins were still in the future when the Lord Jesus Christ was being beaten for your iniquity? Since you said "future sins".

Paul described perfectly a life turning to Jesus. The key is a heart turning more and more to Jesus and more and more away from sin. God will judge if we have done this.

"not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith--that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and may share in His sufferings, becoming like him in His death, that by any means possible I may obtain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me His own. Brothers I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lie behind and straining forward to what lies ahead.I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Phiilipians 3:9-14

"In fact, I do not even judge myself...it is the Lord who judges me." 1 Corinthians 4:3-4

It is one thing to deliberately sin and using Grace as a licence to sin, and seeking to sin less and less because of our love realtionship with Christ and His desire for us.