ECT Does what we do reflect what we believe?

Cross Reference

God sent his Son not to judge the world but that through him the world might be saved based on each person receiving the Holy Spirit.

No Spirit, no eternal life.
Naah! That isn't correct understanding from the bible. "Scarcely are the righteous saved". Lookout it up and explain it your yourself.

OCTOBER23

FATALISM = the belief that all events are predetermined and therefore inevitable.

READ YOUR BIBLE = Isa 10:12 Wherefore it shall come to pass,

that when the Lord hath performed his whole work upon mount Zion and on Jerusalem,

I will punish the fruit of the arrogant heart of the king of Assyria,

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anyone else ever thought about the trees in the garden of Eden (tree of life and tree of good & evil) in connection with how to tell a good tree from a bad tree, and the fruit they produce?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
is the indwelt Holy Spirit in a Christian powerful enough to keep that Christian from succumbing to the temptations of satan and committing immoral acts?

i say yes

glorydaz

Do you believe God is going to resurrect dead people just so he can kill them? Why would you believe that?

Who do you think He's going to JUDGE if not the UNJUST?

Acts 24:15
And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
is the indwelt Holy Spirit in a Christian powerful enough to keep that Christian from succumbing to the temptations of satan and committing immoral acts?

i say yes
I would say yes also, only because I believe The Spirit has power beyond my comprehension, and I don't know at what point His power could fail (if there even is a point).

But just having the power to do so doesn't mean that is what He does.
I mean, the Spirit would have had the power to prevent everyone that ever lived from committing immoral acts.

So, just saying that the Spirit is all powerful really doesn't solve the dilemma of how a believers flesh body still commits immoral acts.

musterion

i say yes

There's a long but relatively quiet debate that goes back to how spirit is to be translated. In some places (one argument goes) Paul is referring to the Holy Spirit himself; in others, to the new life of Christ given to the believer which is (the argument goes) distinct from the Holy Spirit. J.N. Darby is said to have agonized over this when doing his own translation, and IIRC the footnotes of the ASV mention it, but it seems one reading or the other can lend clarity to otherwise disputed passages.

Apart from saying that the mental exercise of switching around readings of spirit may shed light on disputed passages, that's all I'll say about it because even having the discussion burdens some unnecessarily. So... :shut:

glorydaz

I don't.
I agree with these statements:

My comment was directed at this statement that you made.

Do you agree with that statement?

Paul said this:

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.​

Is it your belief that a person calling himself a Christian can do all of these things and still inherent the kingdom of God?

I'm saying a person certainly is physically capable of doing all those things, because he is a human being. Those are the works he did before he was created IN CHRIST JESUS. "Such were some of you". Therefore, what Paul is listing out there are how the sons of Adam manifest themselves. There is nothing of innocence in that list of works...they clearly speak of an evil heart. You may be able to imagine some evilness in something a believer does that might even resemble one of those fleshly works, but you won't find any evilness there.

To the pure, all things are pure. We are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit. Our hearts have been purified by faith, and our conscience is no longer defiled.

Titus 1:15-16
Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.​

Cross Reference

I'm saying a person certainly is physically capable of doing all those things, because he is a human being. Those are the works he did before he was created IN CHRIST JESUS. "Such were some of you". Therefore, what Paul is listing out there are how the sons of Adam manifest themselves. There is nothing of innocence in that list of works...they clearly speak of an evil heart. You may be able to imagine some evilness in something a believer does that might even resemble one of those fleshly works, but you won't find any evilness there.

To the pure, all things are pure. We are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit. Our hearts have been purified by faith, and our conscience is no longer defiled.

Titus 1:15-16
Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.​

Really?? One is purified who remains in the process of purifying his own heart.. Read James unless you believe him to be delusional.

glorydaz

If true, this:

But that's different than:

If you were claiming what ClimateSanity is claiming above then even though you are not a bird it is still .0001% likely you will fly ... just suddenly take off and fly. However, what I hear you saying instead is that there is .0% chance you will fly if you are not a bird. The old man was a bird. Now you're a new creature that doesn't fly. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you.

Okay, I'm going to give you what may be a silly example, but I'm going to use it anyway. Since we are no longer under the law, we are free to drive down the road without worrying about every little road rule...constantly glancing in the rearview mirror...constantly watching the speedometer. So we can go about the business of living the life the Lord intended us to.

As we go along, we may drift a bit...might even hit a bump...might even smack into a mail box and have to stop and fix it or pay some damages of some sort. Those are all the faults that God allows and uses to teach us what He would have us learn.

As we're driving along, we pass a woman walking down the street. We may look.....

But there is something special about this car....being a new creation and all.....it cannot turn back. Repentance to salvation can never be repented of. There are certain things, and I believe rape is one of them, that go totally against our new nature. In order to do those things, we would have to not only stop the car, but turn it around in the road. Turn flat around from what God has created us to be. I don't see it. Not any percent.

glorydaz

Really?? One is purified who remains in the process of purifying his own heart.. Read James unless you believe him to be delusional.

What, you want to put the yoke back on the neck....that yoke none could bear? Let us know how purifying your own heart works out for you.

Acts 15:8-10KJV
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?​

Cross Reference

Okay, I'm going to give you what may be a silly example, but I'm going to use it anyway. Since we are no longer under the law, we are free to drive down the road without worrying about every little road rule...constantly glancing in the rearview mirror...constantly watching the speedometer. So we can go about the business of living the life the Lord intended us to.

As we go along, we may drift a bit...might even hit a bump...might even smack into a mail box and have to stop and fix it or pay some damages of some sort. Those are all the faults that God allows and uses to teach us what He would have us learn.

As we're driving along, we pass a woman walking down the street. We may look.....

But there is something special about this car....being a new creation and all.....it cannot turn back. Repentance to salvation can never be repented of. There are certain things, and I believe rape is one of them, that go totally against our new nature. In order to do those things, we would have to not only stop the car, but turn it around in the road. Turn flat around from what God has created us to be. I don't see it. Not any percent.

Though, of necessity, teaching moments, God allows nothing of the sort except to see what you claim to be in Him and reveal the actuality of it all to you that you repent if found wanting..

Cross Reference

What, you want to put the yoke back on the neck....that yoke none could bear? Let us know how purifying your own heart works out for you.

Acts 15:8-10KJV
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?​

Read James. If you love God for Who He is, you will submit to His method of purification. This is just how it is done.

glorydaz

There's a long but relatively quiet debate that goes back to how spirit is to be translated. In some places (one argument goes) Paul is referring to the Holy Spirit himself; in others, to the new life of Christ given to the believer which is (the argument goes) distinct from the Holy Spirit. J.N. Darby is said to have agonized over this when doing his own translation, and IIRC the footnotes of the ASV mention it, but it seems one reading or the other can lend clarity to otherwise disputed passages.

Apart from saying that the mental exercise of switching around readings of spirit may shed light on disputed passages, that's all I'll say about it because even having the discussion burdens some unnecessarily. So... :shut:

Hmmm....that brings this verse to mind.

Romans 5:5
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

glorydaz

Read James. If you love God for Who He is, you will submit to His method of purification. This is just how it is done.

I just gave you the verse for God's "method" of purification.

Here it is again from Colossians.

Colossians 2:11-13KJV
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;​