ECT Does what we do reflect what we believe?

elohiym

I agree with John W. that a member of the BOC can be an adulterer, and it not effect his salvation at all.

Is your gospel the same as their gospel?

Those who are in Christ do not rape anyone. If I raped a woman today, I never was a christian.

if you rape a woman today, you're not a Christian

followers of Christ don't rape women

Who is correct, and why? Are they all wrong?

Discuss.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Doesn't appear to be.

I'm sticking with John W. on this one.

I didn't have to act any better or worse to be saved, and I don't have to act any better or worse to stay saved.
My salvation is a done deal.

I rely on the righteousness of Christ, not my own.

elohiym

Doesn't appear to be.

I agree.

I didn't have to act any better or worse to be saved, and I don't have to act any better or worse to stay saved.

I believe you merit salvation strictly for being God's child, as you know. Nobody merits salvation for keeping laws, or keeping them better than other people.

Does the Spirit in you have power to effect your behavior?

A believer is living His life (Galatians 2:20), so how can that lead to rape? :idunno:

glorydaz

Doesn't appear to be.

I'm sticking with John W. on this one.

I rely on the righteousness of Christ, too, but I also trust in His work in me. Those who are saved are new creatures. I was a different person before I was saved than I am now. There is a reason for that, and pretending it's not true doesn't change the fact. Too many profess they know God....and even brag they haven't changed in the least from when they were unsaved. They need to examine themselves....

Titus 1:15-16
Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.​

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

Who is correct, and why? Are they all wrong?

Discuss.
It's wrong to say that someone who commits a grave moral offense is therefore not a Christian and never was.

It's wrong to say that adultery or other grave moral offenses are unimportant if you're a Christian.

I like the Holy See's counsel, to always confess grave matter if it appears in your life, and to take grave matter very, very seriously.

elohiym

It's wrong to say that someone who commits a grave moral offense is therefore not a Christian and never was.

Is it possible the person was never a Christian? If it is, then it's not necessarily wrong. It could be wrong though, granted; David may be an example of that.

glorydaz

You have a different gospel than Tambora and JohnW.

John W says he could do any number of things and still be justified. I've yet to see him say he would actually DO any of those things he lists out.

If I were a bird, I could fly, but I'm not a bird. :)

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Is it possible the person was never a Christian?
Of course, it's just not necessarily the case. I wouldn't even say that it's therefore likely that they aren't and never were a Christian.
If it is, then it's not necessarily wrong. It could be wrong though, granted; David may be a an example of that.
We must always consider David when talking about stuff like this. Our Maker Himself says that he is, "a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will," and that was a quote from deep in Acts (Ac13:22), well after his adultery-murder.

glorydaz

Is it possible the person was never a Christian? If it is, then it's not necessarily wrong. It could be wrong though, granted; David may be an example of that.

David didn't have the Comforter....he was not a new creature as the Comforter had not yet come.

elohiym

John W says he could do any number of things and still be justified. I've yet to see him say he would actually DO any of those things he lists out.

I understand, and I'm not claiming either of you would do those things. I get the theological principle you are trying to convey but disagree with the conclusion because it doesn't emphasize the wouldn't do, the result of being a new creature.

If I were a bird, I could fly, but I'm not a bird. :)

Jesus could have said that to the devil during the temptation. He makes a similar point.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does the Spirit in you have power to effect your behavior?
Sure.
Along with several other things that effect by behavior.

If you are asking if the Spirit prevents any believer from ever committing adultery, theft, rape, lying, coveting, calling people names, questioning a believers faith, etc., then I would have to say no He does not.

elohiym

Of course, it's just not necessarily the case. I wouldn't even say that it's therefore likely that they aren't and never were a Christian.

Consider that the Lord said we can know a tree by its fruit, and the Apostle John wrote, "you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him." Since eternal life abiding in the believer is the primary evidence of belief, it follows that a murderer, at least while committing the act, is not a believer.

We must always consider David when talking about stuff like this. Our Maker Himself says that he is, "a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will," and that was a quote from deep in Acts (Ac13:22), well after his adultery-murder.

Yes, and when we consider David's sin, we must also consider his prayer (Psalm 51) and that he never sinned again after his repentance. It is written: "David did what was right in the sight of the LORD, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the case of Uriah the Hittite.

And we should consider John's parents when imagining the idea of David keeping the law for the rest of his life after his repentance. Luke 1:6.

Why doesn't everyone do that? Is it possible to do? Can't an idea we believe or the Spirit we receive cause us to not murder, steal, commit adultery or covet?

elohiym

If you are asking if the Spirit prevents any believer from ever committing adultery, theft, rape, lying, coveting, calling people names, questioning a believers faith, etc., then I would have to say no He does not.

• David was given the Holy Spirit before he committed adultery.
  • David prayed to not have the Holy Spirit taken from him after he committed adultery.
  • David was forgiven by God for adultery and spared the consequence under the law.
  • David never turned aside from anything God commanded him after he repented.

In light of those facts, it's reasonable to say the Holy Spirit didn't prevent David from committing adultery; but how do you explain him keep the law after that?

Was the cause of his reform the Holy Spirit that was renewed in him, or his own efforts to keep the Mosaic laws, or both?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
David didn't have the Comforter....he was not a new creature as the Comforter had not yet come.

John identifies the Comforter as the Holy Spirit. (John 14:26 NKJV)

David repented.

Hide Your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast Spirit within me.

Do not cast me away from Your presence and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me by Your generous Spirit. (Psalm 51:9-12 NKJV)​