Anybody else sick of the supposed race issue?

glorydaz

I think Hollywood's liberal reputation is a bit overstated.

I think it's accurate.

Who are the "Dims". I can't tell if that's a typo or an intentional sneer...

An intentional sneer.

Seems like conservatives have done a lot more to harm there. When you cut a program that offers help to disadvantaged people, you aren't making them strong and independent. You are saying you don't care what happens to them. And that's been the attitude of conservatives toward the poor and minorities for generations.

No, it's saying you care more than those who want people to give up and live off the nanny state.

This country was built on the PURSUIT of happiness. People are never happy when they give up their dreams and live off other people.

No "conservative" wants to throw granny under the bus...that's a liberal lie. There are ways to help the disadvantaged that don't include doing for them what they can be doing for themselves. In other words, enabling is never a good thing.

Arthur Brain

I am convinced that Liberals are codependents at heart...it is never about fixing the paradigm, it is always a handout, a program that creates dependence, never a hand up, just a hand out, and they call it compassion enslaving the poor instead of empowering them to succeed. Pathetic!

People aren't "enslaved" by simply being on benefits while out of work. How exactly are you 'empowering' a person by denying them any means to live without employment? You make it sound as though people on welfare generally enjoy having no job and living on the bare minimum. That's pathetic.

glorydaz

People aren't "enslaved" by simply being on benefits while out of work. How exactly are you 'empowering' a person by denying them any means to live without employment? You make it sound as though people on welfare generally enjoy having no job and living on the bare minimum. That's pathetic.

That "bare minimum" is quite often more than working families have to live on. And they certainly eat better. So, yes, the way the system has been rigged, it's often better to live off the government handouts than it is to work and squeak by without help of any kind.

glorydaz

I have no problem with that, in principle. The problem is, you're going to just assume that any program that helps the poor furthers dependency.

Yeah, there's too much assuming on both sides of the aisle. It's as though it's a contest to see who can stick the hardest no matter if it's best some somewhere in the middle.

rexlunae

He didn't even come close to saying all Mexicans are rapists, but that's what you claimed.

No I didn't. Go back and reread it. I didn't use the word "all". But it's not like he was being nuanced.

You took his words out of context....just as you did the KKK thing. This is what happens when you hear only what you want to hear. The reason we're okay with those kinds of statements is because we listened to all the words that surrounded those you ripped from their context.

Take your own advice.

Arthur Brain

That "bare minimum" is quite often more than working families have to live on. And they certainly eat better. So, yes, the way the system has been rigged, it's often better to live off the government handouts than it is to work and squeak by without help of any kind.

Cites for that? It can certainly be the case in the UK that at times you can be barely better off working than not in certain circumstances but not as a general rule. I think that's a fault in the system as anyone in work should be accruing more than someone unemployed and able to work. But then that's also the fault of a system rigged to pay ridiculous amounts of money to corporate fatcats while the regular 'joe' is on bare minimum wage etc.

glorydaz

No I didn't. Go back and reread it. I didn't use the word "all". But it's not like he was being nuanced.

Take your own advice.

No, you didn't use the word "all" and neither did he, but you implied it. The facts are that he was speaking of the murders and rapes committed by illegals. He has said many times he loves latinos and had hired thousands of them over the years.

I have taken my own advice, which is why I pay attention to more than just sound bites that tickle the ear.

glorydaz

Cites for that? It can certainly be the case in the UK that at times you can be barely better off working than not in certain circumstances but not as a general rule. I think that's a fault in the system as anyone in work should be accruing more than someone unemployed and able to work. But then that's also the fault of a system rigged to pay ridiculous amounts of money to corporate fatcats while the regular 'joe' is on bare minimum wage etc.

I speak of what I see right here in Oregon. People on food stamps buying expensive steaks is not a figment of someone's imagination. I have family and friends on both sides....those who have free health care (Oregon Health Plan) and free food and free phones, glasses, massage therapy while they sit home and watch TV. While others are struggling to make ends meet with both parents working. Of course it's the fault of the fat cat politicians....that' why we want to kick the bums out and get this economy going.

rexlunae

I think it's accurate.

Of course you do. It suits your preferences. But since you're not a liberal, I assume, nor a member of Hollywood, I can't think of a reason to listen to your opinion on the matter.

An intentional sneer.

Ah. Very mature. Good job.

No, it's saying you care more than those who want people to give up and live off the nanny state.

I'm just not buying it. I think you're just selfish, and like most conservatives, you've been taught an amazing jealousy toward the poor.

This country was built on the PURSUIT of happiness. People are never happy when they give up their dreams and live off other people.

I'm sure that a single mother working for minimum wage will appreciate your desire that she live her dreams when you take away her SNAP benefits. That'll help her get back on her feet. You realize that if these benefits are so corrosive to dreams, you could just not apply for them, right?

No "conservative" wants to throw granny under the bus...that's a liberal lie.

No. You just support policies that will inevitably lead to that outcome.

There are ways to help the disadvantaged that don't include doing for them what they can be doing for themselves. In other words, enabling is never a good thing.

Specifically?

Arthur Brain

I speak of what I see right here in Oregon. People on food stamps buying expensive steaks is not a figment of someone's imagination. I have family and friends on both sides....those who have free health care (Oregon Health Plan) and free food and free phones, glasses, massage therapy while they sit home and watch TV. While others are struggling to make ends meet with both parents working. Of course it's the fault of the fat cat politicians....that' why we want to kick the bums out and get this economy going.

So it's not the fault of those on benefits and you don't solve the problem of unfair wages by taking it out on those who would have no other means of food or sustaining themselves without aid. I understand the problems in the system and that's what should be addressed. Having been on both sides of the coin myself I prefer being in work as it's no picnic being on unemployment allowance. I also accepted that anyone working should be significantly better off.

ClimateSanity

Of course you do. It suits your preferences. But since you're not a liberal, I assume, nor a member of Hollywood, I can't think of a reason to listen to your opinion on the matter.

Ah. Very mature. Good job.

I'm just not buying it. I think you're just selfish, and like most conservatives, you've been taught an amazing jealousy toward the poor.

I'm sure that a single mother working for minimum wage will appreciate your desire that she live her dreams when you take away her SNAP benefits. That'll help her get back on her feet. You realize that if these benefits are so corrosive to dreams, you could just not apply for them, right?

No. You just support policies that will inevitably lead to that outcome.

Specifically?

You take away the SNAP benefits and women will be extremely careful not to find themselves being single parents to begin with.

How many single mothers were there in the past when those benefits didn't exist? How many are there today?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I saw Star Wars. Mostly enjoyed it.
In hindsight I'm a rather large, "Meh" on that one. Killing Solo, the plot cheats and lame villain elevated by the easiest possible mechanism would have had me on the negative, but the ending saved it a little for me...just enough to get me back for the next installment.
Would like to see Compton.
On the screen or by cab? :plain:
Would consider see Revenant but it doesn't pique my interest too much.
DiCaprio is someone whose work will always draw me in, as much as I don't care for what I know about him personally. A fine actor...I might root for the bear, but a fine actor.
You'd have to pay me to see Creed.
:plain: No, I'd rather enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that, as with your regular season NFL watching, you're missing out on a remarkable portrayal of athleticism and achievement. :eek:

rexlunae

No, you didn't use the word "all" and neither did he, but you implied it.

I was explicitly talking about what he said. I don't know why you give him the benefit of the doubt and not me.

The facts are that he was speaking of the murders and rapes committed by illegals.

Actually, he wasn't. He was typifying the people who "Mexico is sending", i.e., making a generalization about immigrants, which he softened marginally, almost grudgingly at the last moment by saying that "some, I assume, are good people".

He has said many times he loves latinos and had hired thousands of them over the years.

That doesn't make up for it. He plays a good wink-and-nod game.

rexlunae

In hindsight I'm a rather large, "Meh" on that one. Killing Solo, the plot cheats and lame villain elevated by the easiest possible mechanism would have had me on the negative, but the ending saved it a little for me...just enough to get me back for the next installment.

That's the formula. Welcome to Disney's Star Wars. :)

rexlunae

You take away the SNAP benefits and women will be extremely careful not to find themselves being single parents to begin with.

You have a time machine?

How many single mothers were there in the past when those benefits didn't exist? How many are there today?

I suppose you prefer that women enter into and remain in loveless, unhappy, and often abusive marriages in order to have support raising children? And how is this any less dependent?

ClimateSanity

You have a time machine?

I know from history that the future often repeats the past.

I suppose you prefer that women enter into and remain in loveless, unhappy, and often abusive marriages in order to have support raising children? And how is this any less dependent?

Women should be careful whom they marry. I don't believe most marriages fit the above condition in the past. For some reason, people seemed to manage before divorce became easy. If there is physical abuse, there should be temporary prison time. The husband should return to the family with outside supervision. If you are demanding all families follow a fairy tale of blissful happiness, you are asking too much. Once children enter the picture, the two parents become parents first and a couple second, no matter how unromantic it may seem. The solution to an unhappy family is not divorce and single parenthood. It only makes a bad situation worse.

rexlunae

I know from history that the future often repeats the past.

Women should be careful whom they marry. I don't believe most marriages fit the above condition in the past. For some reason, people seemed to manage before divorce became easy. If there is physical abuse, there should be temporary prison time. The husband should return to the family with outside supervision. If you are demanding all families follow a fairy tale of blissful happiness, you are asking too much. Once children enter the picture, the two parents become parents first and a couple second, no matter how unromantic it may seem. The solution to an unhappy family is not divorce and single parenthood. It only makes a bad situation worse.

So much for the pursuit of happiness, huh?