Anybody else sick of the supposed race issue?

rexlunae

Every decision carries responsibilities. When you make a decision, you are aware of the possible pitfalls. If you fail at your attempt at happiness, it is no ones fault but your own.

And that's the bottom line. Your view is that you're on your own, and if you don't like what you get, tough.

ClimateSanity

Exactly, if someone keeps talking to a fool they only prove themselves a fool. I'm glad you understand why I must leave you to your own small mind.

Not small; unable to break away from his way of thinking he was indoctrinated into. His method of thinking is repeated over and over in myriads of people. That tells me it flows from the same ultimate source.

rexlunae

That isn't my view at all. My view is that the government should not be responsible for your failure to make good choices.

That sounds like basically the same thing, to me. Who should offer a hand then, if not the government? It seems, more than anything, like you're trying to avoid the true implications of your ideology.

Arthur Brain

Not small; unable to break away from his way of thinking he was indoctrinated into. His method of thinking is repeated over and over in myriads of people. That tells me it flows from the same ultimate source.

Eh, that's just a load of pompous talk that says absolutely nothing. People who don't fall into your own mindset are not 'indoctrinated' CS. The chances are they've broke or are free from your own monotonous line of 'reasoning'...

:plain:

Arthur Brain

You take away the SNAP benefits and women will be extremely careful not to find themselves being single parents to begin with.

How many single mothers were there in the past when those benefits didn't exist? How many are there today?

Ah yes, I forgot you were such an expert on women an' all...

:doh:

Arthur Brain

I know from history that the future often repeats the past.

Women should be careful whom they marry. I don't believe most marriages fit the above condition in the past. For some reason, people seemed to manage before divorce became easy. If there is physical abuse, there should be temporary prison time. The husband should return to the family with outside supervision. If you are demanding all families follow a fairy tale of blissful happiness, you are asking too much. Once children enter the picture, the two parents become parents first and a couple second, no matter how unromantic it may seem. The solution to an unhappy family is not divorce and single parenthood. It only makes a bad situation worse.

Define "managed". If women often had to make do with their lot before they were afforded a meaningful voice in regards to abusive and stale 'relationships' then yeah, I guess many had little choice but to 'manage' such.

:plain:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I saw Star Wars. Mostly enjoyed it.

watched it once, won't watch it again

in a similar vein, I watched Terminator Genysis yesterday for the second time and want to watch it again :thumb:
kmo said:
Would like to see Compton.

burned to the ground? :thumb:

kmo said:
Would consider see Revenant but it doesn't pique my interest too much.

was very good, but watch the richard harris original first :)

PureX

There's a phenomenon of 'racial paranoia' which all races exhibit in varying degrees. Blacks have the most of this because they consistently stigmatize themselves with a racial issue.

Why don't you all open up a book :rolleyes:
Blacks have the most reason to BE paranoid, since they have been the favorite target of enslavement from the dawn of time (easy to identify and all that). Why don't you try using logic for the first time in your life? Maybe you can find your way back to reality, with it, someday.

ok doser

Blacks have the most reason to BE paranoid, since they have been the favorite target of enslavement from the dawn of time...

purex - you don't have to be an ignorant moron for the rest of your life - we have the internet now where you can actually research this stuff

blacks enslaved blacks throughout history

egyptians (blacks) enslaved jews (non-blacks)

scots sold captured scots (non-blacks) into slavery

the british sentenced (white) convicts into slavery

american indigenous peoples enslaved members of other tribes (non-blacks)

want to really blow your mind?

google "etymology of slave"

but beware - it doesn't have anything to do with blacks, so you'll probably not be able to handle it

ok doser

Blacks have the most reason to BE paranoid, since they have been the favorite target of enslavement from the dawn of time (easy to identify and all that).

:doh: the stupid, it hurts

i just can't get over the staggering ignorance of purex's post :dizzy:

here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

wiki said:
Records of slavery in Ancient Greece date as far back as Mycenaean Greece. It is certain that Classical Athens had the largest slave population, with as many as 80,000 in the 6th and 5th centuries BC;[113] two to four-fifths of the population were slaves.[114] As the Roman Republic expanded outward, entire populations were enslaved, thus creating an ample supply from all over Europe and the Mediterranean. Greeks, Illyrians, Berbers, Germans, Britons, Thracians, Gauls, Jews, Arabs, and many more were slaves used not only for labour, but also for amusement (e. g. gladiators and sex slaves).

and

wiki said:
Mediterranean powers frequently sentenced convicted criminals to row in the war-galleys of the state (initially only in time of war).[168] After the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 and Camisard rebellion, the French Crown filled its galleys with French Huguenots, Protestants condemned for resisting the state

Last edited:

rexlunae

That article gets a number of facts wrong, including when LBJ took office as President. As you should know, he became President in 1963 after the assassination of JFK. He was elected President in 1964, but he was already in office at the time.

But more pertinent is this claim:

This year, the cheerleaders for big government are celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the launching of Lyndon Johnson’s War on Poverty. This should be an occasion for mourning, not celebration, because that was the most expensive legislative failure in our history.
Instead of lifting Americans out of poverty, LBJ’s 40 federal programs trapped millions of Americans in poverty and permanent dependency.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/05/21/semicentennial-of-lbjs-war-on-poverty/

Failure is a strong term. Lets see if they can justify it.

Oh, wait. There isn't a single fact or figure from the era of the Great Society in the entire article. The only figures are the claim at the top of 49 million in poverty and 100 million unemployed today. It's pure narrative regarding the actual Johnson years.

Well, here's a graph to consider:

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/publications/p60-68a.pdf

You'll note that poverty is already declining in the US in 1964, when the Great Society programs started. But what you notice after that is that the rate of poverty starts declining even faster from that point on. It sure looks like it's working. In fact, the 1964 number of about 36 million (33%) is a far higher percentage even than today (about 14%). By 1968, the end of Johnson's first term, it was around 25 million, or about 12.5%. By the end of his second full term, it was down to around 23 million, or about 11%. https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=225439#rows:id=1, https://aspe.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/aspe-files/happend.txt

So, to recap, over the course of his time in office, LBJ cut the poverty rate by two-thirds. It sure doesn't look like a failure to me. There's certainly no obvious evidence that he trapped anyone in a "perpetual cycle of poverty and dependence", as the article narrates. What we have here is a right-wing mythology about the futility of government and the importance of self-reliance.

Last edited:

ok doser

That article gets a number of facts wrong, including when LBJ took office as President.

i assume you're referring to this:
Johnson came into power in 1964 on the biggest landslide in U.S. history...

typically, veeps who assume the presidency on the exit of the elected prez continue the elected prez's policies

they don't own the job until they're elected to it

rexlunae

i assume you're referring to this:

typically, veeps who assume the presidency on the exit of the elected prez continue the elected prez's policies

they don't own the job until they're elected to it

Still seems silly to say he "came to power" in 1964 when he was already in office. He was part of the JFK ticket in 1960. Especially when the inauguration wouldn't have been until 1965.

Any thoughts on the rest of it?