Anybody else sick of the supposed race issue?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
That isn't the problem of the people who did the nominating. They are protesting the wrong people. They need to take issue with the directors or whomever is assigning roles. That is discrimination and there are laws against that. I suggest these protestors invest in a few lawsuits.....expensive ones against the movie companies engaged in this kind of discrimination.

The Academy can probably play a role, but I agree they aren't the primary responsible party.

rexlunae

ahh - the bernie bit

it's called hyperbolic humor, a usage so over the top that nobody could miss the point

except for...well....you know

I got the hyperbolic part. It was the humor that was missing. I know to you mockery is the ultimate in comedy, but I don't think the situation is funny.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I assume this is in reference to okdoser's post about 'ghetto' movies. The desire is not to see movies about 'ghetto culture', it's to see black actors get the same types of roles that white actors would get and lead to nominations. In fact, I think part of the criticism is that right now a black actor usually has to take a role that's about 'black issues' in order to get nominated. okdoser already mentioned 12 Years A Slave. Movies and roles like that are like 'bait' that Rex already mentioned. The desire is that black actors shouldn't need to take roles like that in order to get nominated.
Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, Sam Jackson, ect., are proof that when blacks are given opportunities to establish themselves as main stream participants they manage it with relative ease. But the opportunities for that seem few and far between, which is something Hollywood can and should change.

rexlunae

I don't doubt that 'bait' happens. But to me that's a corruption in the system and shouldn't be encouraged.

I'm not encouraging it. But it's an indicator of the level of influence they have.

And you're basically saying that the Academy should nominate and vote for films not based on their quality but based on the desire for social change, on getting more black people in there. I don't think that's the Academy's job.

I'm really not. I think they should be more careful to consider a wider range of films. That doesn't involve changing the criteria.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Box office gross and Oscar wins rarely coincide, but the better argument would have been Creed, which did well with the public and was critically well received, better than a number of films that were nominated...I think Revenant had the weakest critical reception, which is why I never believed it would take home the Oscar. Seemed to me it would either be Room or Big Short. The best reviewed film of the year, curiously enough, was Mad Max. But you knew there was no way the Academy was going to vote that in.

I used "The Revenant" as an example...It is quite obvious whether you love it, or hate it, the film was more received by the public and the academy than "straight Outta Compton" no?

rexlunae

I used "The Revenant" as an example...It is quite obvious whether you love it, or hate it, the film was more received by the public and the academy than "straight Outta Compton" no?

The point is, though, you don't need an Academy to tell you which movies made a lot of money, or which ones were popular, or which ones get the most tweets. The point of the awards show is peer recognition.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The point is, though, you don't need an Academy to tell you which movies made a lot of money, or which ones were popular, or which ones get the most tweets. The point of the awards show is peer recognition.

Blacks exclude themselves. They harbor exclusivity and then demand the inclusiveness of others. It's just as simple as that.

You don't see BET giving recognition to white peers, do you? You do see people like Kanye West acting ridiculous towards others, though. Don't see any outcry with any of that.

Face it, all you liberals are a bunch of tools.

Reactions: Lon

rexlunae

Blacks exclude themselves. They harbor exclusivity and then demand the inclusiveness of others. It's just as simple as that.

You don't see BET giving recognition to white peers, do you? You do see people like Kanye West acting ridiculous towards others, though. Don't see any outcry with any of that.

That demonstrates your historical illiteracy, and inability to use Google. BET doesn't exist to reinforce segregation for black people. BET exists to give attention to a group of people who have been excluded deliberately from the mainstream. It is precisely because of the exclusion of mainstream organizations that it exists. And white people...still win them (http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ople-naacp-bet-awards-20160121-htmlstory.html).

Fun fact: More white people won the last BET Awards than the number of black people who were nominated for Oscars. You tell me, which one is actually more segregated? http://www.bet.com/shows/bet-awards/nominees.html

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It was more popular/made more money to be sure, though Compton was better reviewed. Not overwhelmingly, but better. Rotten Tomato had it 88% to the Revenant's 82%.

Creed came in at 94% and was also left out in the cold for nominations.

Revenant made more money than either of those, but Star Wars made more than all of them combined and had a 93% Fresh rating...so go figure.

PureX

Blacks exclude themselves.
What an amazing bit of sophistry!

By this reasoning, when I do not invite my black friend Bill to eat diner with me, tonight, and he then stays home and eats by himself, he will have "excluded himself" from my table!

… That's the reasoning of the insane!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

i have on my viewing list to go back and rewatch "Man In The Wilderness" with Richard Harris - prolly last saw it when I was a teen, in the mid seventies, but scenes from it are still stuck in my mind

ClimateSanity

I got the hyperbolic part. It was the humor that was missing. I know to you mockery is the ultimate in comedy, but I don't think the situation is funny.

It is funny to doser and many others because the methods employed to solve the problem are weak and miss the point. You guys whine and moan and proscribe solutions that always go nowhere because you fail to see the essence of the problem for fear of being labeled racists. It is so pathetic and sad , you have to make light of it to avoid insanity.

ClimateSanity

they're also amused by people who are uber-serious about this kinda crap? :thumb:

They are uber-serious and yet never see the real causes of the problem. All solutions the liberals have instituted have made matters worse. They made have alleviated some symptoms but in doing so, made society a worse place overall than it was before.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
They are uber-serious and yet never see the real causes of the problem. All solutions the liberals have instituted have made matters worse. They made have alleviated some symptoms but in doing so, made society a worse place overall than it was before.

now, now - they're doing the best they can

remember, they're suffering from a mental disorder

rexlunae

trolls are also amused by people who are uber-serious about this kinda crap?

well good for them! :thumb:

It's actually a pretty cheap game. You'll be serious for a while, and make a reasonable discussion, and then you'll just say something totally horrible. I think it's a defense mechanism.