A respectful request to Sherman for tolerance in moderation.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Not opposed ... what you have listed is the type of responses that come from immature, inept posters.

IF you feel someone is violating a rule, instead of mimicking them, report them.

That's the point...such posters (no names) won't get banned for such behavior yet, an atheist will for posting how atheist's view the existence of God. (Though, I didn't read the post in question I understand it was sarcastic in nature. Nonetheless....)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
True that, but when one opens a Christian forum to those who are not, it's almost a foregone conclusion that there will be points of view from those unbelievers that will rub us the wrong way.

Well, that's a given ... however, disagreeing with one can be done in semi-respectful manner.

That's the point...such posters (no names) won't get banned for such behavior yet, an atheist will for posting how atheist's view the existence of God. (Though, I didn't read the post in question I understand it was sarcastic in nature. Nonetheless....)

I guess it would depend on how you word your belief and the intent of the person posting. I have made it clear that I am an agnostic and have never been seen as blasphemous for doing so. Others have as well.

I have seen some of the things that receive infractions, and it isn't just about voicing an opinion about the existence of God. The comments are normally laced with ridicule not just towards the person, but their deity (God) as well.

For someone who truly believes in the Christian God, the insult is towards their family member. Just because a nonbeliever doesn't agree with that perspective, doesn't make the insult any less personal.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I was hoping for some constructive exchange of ideas when I originally made this thread. I would say that objective has been partially realized.

There was a time when I really looked forward to checking the latest on TOL. I could expect interactions that flowed freely without regard to worries about infractions for many insignificant slights, insults, differences in theology or other conflicts. Nick M would be there insulting frequently but harmlessly, redsoko would be antagonizing Town as well as others. Meshak was free to express her anti-trin opinions and John W leveled charges of demon-ette and other such. I could go on with dozens of examples but why belabor the point.

Perhaps the defections have all been for personal reasons unrelated to infractions. I don't really know except, of course, in the cases of those still on lengthy vacations. Their absence is accounted for.

I hope TOL grows, remains a strong internet site and through interactions reaches into the hearts of unbelievers bringing them closer to God. I suspect that is a slow and incremental process. It may even be painful at times. I know a preacher who encourages his congregation to greet graciously the stray poorly washed drunk who might show up at the front door. He says that it may do no good but you can be assured that if you turn him away at the door he is unlikely to ever show up again.

I have received pm's and messages sent through other means such as the rep system which criticize me for not contributing more in theological discussions. Unbeknownst to many I read hundreds of threads without commenting. I thoroughly enjoy those of psalmist and others but while I may make the occasional amen or attaboy affirmation I am not here to reach the righteous. What good comes of that? Reaching the unbeliever is never easy and seldom comes in one huge aha moment.

OCTOBER23

I remember 8 years ago when there were serious Bible Scholars on TOL

but with all these newbies with their own agendas ,

they are just wasting our Valuable time .

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see stuff like "Stuu-pid" and I have to question the in and out boundaries we've laid up and whether we understand God's Love and Grace at all.

Perhaps with time and counseling you'll get over it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have no problem standing with Sherman. She is fair and she sticks to her guns. Like everyone else, she is capable of making mistakes and being provoked but overall she has a heart for God and it shows. She has probably considered your request, Eeset, and searched her heart in regard to her decision which is more than many would do. You should have asked her privately, though.

nah. i tried that. no reconsideration possible - :patrol:

rougueone

I remember also about 8 years ago when finding a Holy Spirit filled Site required a little effort. But today they either gone or do not advertise. I would guess it requires some money to keep sites going. Any recommendations ? You can PM me.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I remember also about 8 years ago when finding a Holy Spirit filled Site required a little effort. But today they either gone or do not advertise. I would guess it requires some money to keep sites going. Any recommendations ? You can PM me.

Are you speaking in tongue Christian? There are many of them here. I am not one, BTW.

Letsargue

There still are.

What's the difference between an Atheist and a Mormon, or how some feel about "Catholics"?? -- Anyone who cannot accept Chastisement or "Correction" of any kind is the Same as an Atheist.

ONLY What is written of God is Correct and True, and is able to "Correct" any "FALSE" Christian!!
Who believes God when "He" said: - ( Romans 3:10-12 KJV ) -- 10- "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11- (( There is none that understandeth )), (( there is none that seeketh after God )). 12- They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. --//---

God said that, and that is Christ in TRUTH. Only the Nonbeliever of Christ can disbelieve anything God HAS SAID!!

Letsargue -- 050515

journey

This subject should NOT have been aired in a public thread. You should have sent a PM to the moderator and been done with this. This thread has accomplished absolutely nothing except a waste of bandwidth. You at least found out that nearly everyone disagrees with you except those on the receiving end of disciplinary action.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Pickled herrings............

Pickled herrings............

Is that from your own 'book of codes' or 'emotional bias'????

:)

Simmer down Tam,.......it was just a fun little jab. You know, some of those rigid peeps who look like they've been baptized in lemon juice (or was that pickle juice?), or from the First Church of the Frigidaire (the frozen chosen). Its just poking fun at some of the more conservative types who are more judgmental and inflexible. Either the Queen Bee or the drones. Granted there are more than enough divisions/sects/denominations within Christendom itself and contending doctrinal issues for them to debate among themselves, than unorthodox points of view from more liberal theists challenging or threatening the 'orthodox' formula or creed. All share in the collective mumbo jumbo. One man's heretic is another man's hero.

~*~*~

Another way to look at 'tolerance' in moderating, is to consider one's actions towards an unorthodox theist or atheist, and if the re-action of banning that individual is really doing any good, for that person or the greater human community in general. A person continually getting banned (ousted/marginalized/dejected) by conservative Christian police might not develop an affectionate, respectful or friendly attitude towards that belief-system or mentality, in fact making one more adversarial towards it. So its up to the moderator to use his/her own discretion, wisdom, intelligence in deciding each case of how to warn or reprimand another. The fact of 'karma' holds here on every level possible, since all 'actions' engender consequences and effects in the greater context of existence, so how we decide those actions has significance in both time and eternity.

pj

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
:)

Simmer down Tam,.......it was just a fun little jab. You know, some of those rigid peeps who look like they've been baptized in lemon juice (or was that pickle juice?), or from the First Church of the Frigidaire (the frozen chosen). Its just poking fun at some of the more conservative types who are more judgmental and inflexible. Either the Queen Bee or the drones. Granted there are more than enough divisions/sects/denominations within Christendom itself and contending doctrinal issues for them to debate among themselves, than unorthodox points of view from more liberal theists challenging or threatening the 'orthodox' formula or creed. All share in the collective mumbo jumbo. One man's heretic is another man's hero.

~*~*~

Another way to look at 'tolerance' in moderating, is to consider one's actions towards an unorthodox theist or atheist, and if the re-action of banning that individual is really doing any good, for that person or the greater human community in general. A person continually getting banned (ousted/marginalized/dejected) by conservative Christian police might not develop an affectionate, respectful or friendly attitude towards that belief-system or mentality, in fact making one more adversarial towards it. So its up to the moderator to use his/her own discretion, wisdom, intelligence in deciding each case of how to warn or reprimand another. The fact of 'karma' holds here on every level possible, since all 'actions' engender consequences and effects in the greater context of existence, so how we decide those actions has significance in both time and eternity.

pj

How's your UFO buddies doing?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I was hoping for some constructive exchange of ideas when I originally made this thread. I would say that objective has been partially realized.

There was a time when I really looked forward to checking the latest on TOL. I could expect interactions that flowed freely without regard to worries about infractions for many insignificant slights, insults, differences in theology or other conflicts. Nick M would be there insulting frequently but harmlessly, redsoko would be antagonizing Town as well as others.
That's enough to sum my problem with you. You're a curious revisionist. You gloss over other people's concerns and insult as insignificant while only a relatively short time ago you were comparing slights aimed at you to gang rape.

Nick and a number of people inside the power beltway enjoyed and still enjoy a latitude that most don't, even some long established members. The problem with that sort of allowance is that people tend to grow accustomed to spending it and, like Congress, get a taste for it. Eventually even their excess can run them into trouble. Hopefully that leads to change, or to an indefinite absence. I always enjoyed talking football with Nick, but I detested the way he treated some here, like anna.

People like Stuu are sometimes the recipient of benefit from time outs on behavioral grounds. And if they're too entrenched not to benefit then the public square benefits from their time away, giving people with a more civil methodology a chance to differ without the influence/distraction.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Beyond Omega point................

Beyond Omega point................

:think: There are some fabulous theologians, soul-pioneers, visionaries and space-cadets on board, some within your eye-view...where have you been? :)

Well 'time' is a funny thing,...its about the movement of consciousness as it relates to thoughts, ideas, forms, concepts, images. Time includes as part of its experience what you invest with-in it,....so while it may seem another is wasting your time, at the same time, both of you share that 'waste', which you could change by re-investing your attention into something else...OR...you can use the art of 'creative dialogue' to transform or steer the discussion into constructive channels. Use your own imagination and spiritual intelligence to ENGAGE. Now you can do this only so far of course as long as others are able to 'respond' in kind, to sustain a cordial dialogue of expanding consciousness. Otherwise you can only sow your seeds so far until co-operation wanes, and one makes themselves no longer engagable.

Life is what we do with the space and time afforded us,...since such is the canvas of creation.

pj

IMJerusha

You gloss over other people's concerns and insult as insignificant...

That happens quite often around here. :chuckle:
BTW, clean out your inbox. :D ....or did you mean to send me an email and then block my ability to respond?

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
The great, humble saint John W, recently experienced the "wrath" of the Colonel Sherman, sending me to the "penalty box," without a cause, according to the consensus of fellow members of the body of Christ, on TOL. The outcry was astounding, and compelled me to more humility, which is even more astounding. I think Sherm is a bit like Barn:

Sherm-Senstive/"Very Spirited"/Feelings Hurt?

Cain't we have our "little talk" on TOL w/o Sherm getting very sensitive? You reckon?