A respectful request to Sherman for tolerance in moderation.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sherman does a fine job.

It isn't our job to agree on every mod action at every point, but pressed and on this one I absolutely do. Stuu has made a long habit out of intentional disrespect aimed at the Holy in violation of the rules he signed off on when he established his account. He's not on vacation because he's unaware of the line between honest, direct difference and a pointlessly aimed insult.

Stuu has received infractions for blasphemy seventeen times during his time as a member. Cattyfan, one of the more generous mods in the history of TOL, hit him with two of those, Knight eight, Delmar three. Sherman has given him two, with Poly and ebenez rounding it out.

He's had this particular warning and infraction since 09, plenty of time to understand and work out what is and isn't permissible.

Elsewhere I spoke about pride and how it blinds us. I think Stuu is as proud of his want of faith as anyone could be of anything and it blinds him, not to the line here, but to caring whether he crosses it.

Stuu should be welcomed and cared for, witnessed to and met with Christian love, but love isn't license for any behavior that suits him and he's old enough to understand that lesson. Hopefully, at some point he'll stay within the lines...It's beneficial to those without God to keep them from voicing a thing that can only distract them from serious consideration of God.

And that, ultimately and bells and whistles aside, is why TOL exists, why any of us who love God should be engaged with those who are outside of its understanding.

bybee

Sherman does a fine job.

It isn't our job to agree on every mod action at every point, but pressed and on this one I absolutely do. Stuu has made a long habit out of intentional disrespect aimed at the Holy in violation of the rules he signed off on when he established his account. He's not on vacation because he's unaware of the line between honest, direct difference and a pointlessly aimed insult.

Stuu has received infractions for blasphemy seventeen times during his time as a member. Cattyfan, one of the more generous mods in the history of TOL, hit him with two of those, Knight eight, Delmar three. Sherman has given him two, with Poly and ebenez rounding it out.

He's had this particular warning and infraction since 09, plenty of time to understand and work out what is and isn't permissible.

Elsewhere I spoke about pride and how it blinds us. I think Stuu is as proud of his want of faith as anyone could be of anything and it blinds him, not to the line here, but to caring whether he crosses it.

Stuu should be welcomed and cared for, witnessed to and met with Christian love, but love isn't license for any behavior that suits him and he's old enough to understand that lesson. Hopefully, at some point he'll stay within the lines...It's beneficial to those without God to keep them from voicing a thing that can only distract them from serious consideration of God.

And that, ultimately and bells and whistles aside, is why TOL exists, why any of us who love God should be engaged with those who are outside of its understanding.

Well said and I agree!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Sherman does a fine job.

:thumb:

Glen

Dear Sherm, you just gave an infraction to Stuu for expressing his atheism. I request that you reverse the infraction. In the alternative you could just go ahead and ban all atheists. I think that would effectively reduce TOL to a parody of what it once was.

Looks like you have been over ruled by the in house pets.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
In the name of Tolerance.......

In the name of Tolerance.......

Dear Sherm, you just gave an infraction to Stuu for expressing his atheism. I request that you reverse the infraction. In the alternative you could just go ahead and ban all atheists. I think that would effectively reduce TOL to a parody of what it once was.

Ah,...well...there are a few 'perks' here, as I held my cool, and was going to begin a thread over my last banning, concerning the issue of how one defines 'blasphemy' and some other things I found 'petty' concerning what 'qualifies' a person for a banning. I've openly challenged and held my ground in my beliefs to the mods or anyone here, (Knight too in private messages), so there is some history here, but 'discretion' as well, which makes it all the more fun and challenging. I've held my own here from the beginning (gaining friends and enemies along the way,...but ever transcending).

Frankly, the post Stuu got banned for was a bit comical (did you expect something else?), but some here baptized in lemon juice, part of the frozen chosen,...have apparently lost their sense of humor (note again some points Purex made on the 'imaginary friends' comment.) Some religionists ought to be a little more 'secure' and 'mature' in their faith perhaps before calling the posse out, or waving the 'blasphemy' flag. I've criticized these knee-jerk reactions in the past. 'God' is just a word folks. - with many descriptions. Its all a play of language.

With due respect, I understand some words may cross the line, and if one is continually offensive in word and demeanor, some action is justified, a reprimand of some kind, warning, banning, etc. But you all know Stuu's M.O. anyways. Btw,...remember Einstein said "imagination is more important than knowledge",....we all entertain and use our imagination in our faith in 'God', a 'higher power' or greater 'cosmic consciousness'. Religion itself includes a whole plethora of imagery, mythology, archetypes, symbols, allegorical content, etc. In our religious art,...we can often make 'God' in our own 'image',....a good deal of 'mirror-imaging' takes place. Study the anatomy of the eye,...some interesting stuff there on how vision works, reflecting things back in reverse :sherlock:

While atheists, agnostics and full blown skeptics can voice their opposing and different opinions, the bar is kinda peculiarly set for us more liberal eclectic 'theists' who are essentially 'spiritualists' at heart, but unorthodox or pluralistic in their approach ( I describe myself and a few others here), since when any expanded or eccentric proposition of spiritual insight or knowledge is shared, the nay-sayers and heretic-hunters come out of the woodwork to assail minions of satan. Question the Bible or apostle Paul and the tar-pots and feather-bags start shaking :) - however in Acedemia-land, scholars and freelancers are free to share/investigate all sides of a subject, pros and cons and come to their own conclusions based on all the available data, keeping an open mind of both objectivity and subjectivity, since both aspects are involved in every field of study. Take a chill pill folks, its just information.

But lest I go on......Eeset's instigation here is timely, but the real point here is by what criteria does one judge a comment as 'blasphemy' since such a call is always in the callers own 'book of codes' or even 'emotional bias'. I've seen some charges of 'blasphemy' as somewhat petty and comical. Again,...its all about how the judge here qualifies his charge by his own terms.

I'd probably just have given Stuu a warning on that particular post in any case,...until we can establish the criteria, grounds and rules of making comments about God, and then ban him IF he again broke the better defined rule. Otherwise anything can be called 'blasphemous' at the whim of a moderator, or worse yet...someone might misinterpret a 'typo' and feel it was a personal attack (most ridiculous in this case I exposed on this page starting here).

Abraham was called the friend of God. Now whether that could be called 'imaginary',...who knows....I'm sure Abraham believed God, and that included the faculty of imagination. We could be splitting hairs here,...or perhaps its a gnats n camels situation :p If those of different opinions, world-views, backgrounds, religious perspectives, metaphysical insights and culture were not a part of the TOL family, what kind of forum would this be? We are all different peas in the same pod of humanity, get used to it. Sooner or later you'll discover the universality of reality anyways, although personal point of view often obscures it or merely gives you an individualized version of it.

pj

IMJerusha

Interesting...is that record keeping, or access?

Contrary to popular opinion, no one is without God. Folks may not acknowledge His presence but He is still there regardless.

That must be the understanding of TOL you refer to because no one is outside of understanding love, especially God's. Hardheartedness and blindness is governed by choice and that choice is oftentimes prompted by the good or bad actions of others.

IMJerusha

I have no problem standing with Sherman. She is fair and she sticks to her guns. Like everyone else, she is capable of making mistakes and being provoked but overall she has a heart for God and it shows. She has probably considered your request, Eeset, and searched her heart in regard to her decision which is more than many would do. You should have asked her privately, though.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Interesting...is that record keeping, or access?
Just a search of the records and a little patience.

Contrary to popular opinion, no one is without God. Folks may not acknowledge His presence but He is still there regardless.
I'm noting those without God in the salvific and relational sense, the unsaved.

That must be the understanding of TOL you refer to because no one is outside of understanding love, especially God's.
I'm speaking to their understanding. They stand outside of that understanding of relation, the impact of God's love and grace in their daily lives.

Hardheartedness and blindness is governed by choice and that choice is oftentimes prompted by the good or bad actions of others.
Influenced, to be sure, but I don't think either of us believe we're at the whim of chance encounters and circumstance.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As opposed to the highly pious "you're an idiot", "moron" or ":mock:atheists"?

Not opposed ... what you have listed is the type of responses that come from immature, inept posters.

IF you feel someone is violating a rule, instead of mimicking them, report them.

IMJerusha

Just a search of the records and a little patience.

And really high speed internet! :chuckle:

I'm speaking to their understanding. They stand outside of that understanding of relation, the impact of God's love and grace in their daily lives.

I don't know. I see stuff like "Stuu-pid" and I have to question the in and out boundaries we've laid up and whether we understand God's Love and Grace at all.

IMJerusha

One can express their disbelief by simply stating "I have never seen evidence that would convince me that God or any other deity exists".

True that, but when one opens a Christian forum to those who are not, it's almost a foregone conclusion that there will be points of view from those unbelievers that will rub us the wrong way.