A respectful request to Sherman for tolerance in moderation.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Were such a thing to occur, it would give the impression that that side of the debate had nothing substantive left to offer, and had been reduced to nothing more than childish name-calling. Were that to be part of a forum management's normal operating procedure, it would give the impression that that side of the debate was so weak, it could not survive in a fair environment and needed such special protection in order to persist.

I'm glad to see that you're above that sort of thing. :)

Thanks JF,

I'm usually known for my courteous manners and fashion, but I've had to 'edit' my posts before, lest my terms be too harsh or offending to another, even if they so deserved it. So I generally try to 'tone' it down, but you know we slip at times. I did recently address someone as a 'bigot', because their habitual manners and antics have earned such a 'description'. One can also use a dictionary to define terms, if you wanna get technical.

Yes, if one has to resort to name-calling in lieu of offering valid, constructive and challenging debate and discussion on a certain subject, it makes their own position look weak and desperate.

genuineoriginal

It is interesting that those on the Christian side of the discussion feel they need special name-calling privileges. :think:

You mean like calling God an "imaginary friend" and calling the Bible "the oral tradition of Bronze Age shepherds"?

What kind of moron thinks saying things like that will fly on a Christian website?

Jose Fly

Thanks JF,

I'm usually known for my courteous manners and fashion, but I've had to 'edit' my posts before, lest my terms be too harsh or offending to another, even if they so deserved it. So I generally try to 'tone' it down, but you know we slip at times. I did recently address someone as a 'bigot', because their habitual manners and antics have earned such a 'description'. One can also use a dictionary to define terms, if you wanna get technical.

Yep...always a good idea to sit on a post for a bit if it was written in an emotional state.

Yes, if one has to resort to name-calling in lieu of offering valid, constructive and challenging debate and discussion on a certain subject, it makes their own position look weak and desperate.

Agreed. :thumb:

Jose Fly

You mean like calling God an "imaginary friend" and calling the Bible "the oral tradition of Bronze Age shepherds"?

I agree that one shouldn't expect to come into a Christian forum and be given free reign to say things like that.

What kind of moron thinks saying things like that will fly on a Christian website?

What kind of Christian thinks calling people "retarded" and "moron" is Christlike?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then don't use them.

I don't.

There is a reason for using them other than the reasons you stated for why you would use them.

No ... there is not. IF one is incapable of expressing their arguments without resorting to the kind of insults I would expect from a third grader, it's because they realize their argument is invalid.

genuineoriginal

What if it is not being done in lieu of offering valid, constructive and challenging debate and discussion on a certain subject, but is being done because the other person is merely trolling instead of offering valid, constructive and challenging debate and discussion on a certain subject?

Would you think it is okay to point out the lack of substance on the other side of the discussion by calling the person names after repeatedly trying to bring meaning to the discussion and getting nowhere?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
It is interesting that those on the Christian side of the discussion feel they need special name-calling privileges. :think:

When one, either consciously or unconsciously, truly does not care about the person they are having a discussion with, then name calling is the simplest way to show you don't care. I have always thought that if you are talking to somebody that doesn't share your beliefs, you should be respectful of them as a person and not insult them. Its been my experience that when you insult people they quite listening to you. Not a good place to be if you want to share Christ's Gospel with them.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
What if it is not being done in lieu of offering valid, constructive and challenging debate and discussion on a certain subject, but is being done because the other person is merely trolling instead of offering valid, constructive and challenging debate and discussion on a certain subject?

Would you think it is okay to point out the lack of substance on the other side of the discussion by calling the person names after repeatedly trying to bring meaning to the discussion and getting nowhere?

Its fine to point out that you don't agree with them as long as you do so respectfully. You call yourself a Christian which means that you are a witness for Christ. What must people think of Christ when talking to "Christians" that constantly demean and belittle them?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am Christian and I am not offended by his comment. I expect unbleivers to act like they don't believe and I am not shocked when they do. Nor does his comment threaten me. That said, if he came to my home and started making comments that are intended to be offensive, it is with in my rights to ask him to leave.

I know that ... and it shows positively in your debating style. Even though we sometimes disagree, your posts are always worth reading. While we may continue to disagree on some issues, your civility has earned respectful responses.

genuineoriginal

Its fine to point out that you don't agree with them as long as you do so respectfully. You call yourself a Christian which means that you are a witness for Christ. What must people think of Christ when talking to "Christians" that constantly demean and belittle them?

At which point in the discussions Jesus had with the scribes and Pharisees did He make these statements?

Matthew 23:15-17
15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?​

Matthew 23:27
27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.​

Matthew 23:33
33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?​

And don't forget this one:

John 8:44
44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.​

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
At which point in the discussions Jesus had with the scribes and Pharisees did He make these statements?

Matthew 23:15-17
15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?​

Matthew 23:27
27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.​

Matthew 23:33
33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?​

And don't forget this one:

John 8:44
44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.​

Is it honestly your contention that atheists are the same as Jewish religious leaders and teachers? The pharisees were charged to teach God's law to Israel. Atheists don't believe in God. How can what Jesus said to the Jewish teachers who were supposed to know and uphold Mosaic law in any way be reasonably applied to somebody who doesn't know God and needs to? Can you explain that to us? There may come a time when you kick the dirt from your sandals, but even then, there is no reason to be insulting.

Reactions: Lon

genuineoriginal

Is it honestly your contention that atheists are the same as Jewish religious leaders and teachers?
If that is your conclusion of the verses I posted, you may be a bit lacking upstairs.

There may come a time when you kick the dirt from your sandals, but even then, there is no reason to be insulting.
Would you consider the words of Jesus in the quotes to be insulting?
If so, then there really is a reason to be insulting.

How can what Jesus said to the Jewish teachers who were supposed to know and uphold Mosaic law in any way be reasonably applied to somebody who doesn't know God and needs to? Can you explain that to us?
Here is my explanation, let me know if you can understand it or if I have to spell it out in one and two syllable words.

"Religious creationists and scientific materialists are equally dogmatic and insensitive. By their arrogance they bring both science and religion into disrepute."
~ Dr Freeman Dyson

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
If that is your conclusion of the verses I posted, you may be a bit lacking upstairs.

Would you consider the words of Jesus in the quotes to be insulting?
If so, then there really is a reason to be insulting.

Here is my explanation, let me know if you can understand it or if I have to spell it out in one and two syllable words.

"Religious creationists and scientific materialists are equally dogmatic and insensitive. By their arrogance they bring both science and religion into disrepute."
~ Dr Freeman Dyson
Your quote describes many on this forum.

i note you evaded my question. I'll rephrase it for you: what justifies being rude and insulting to those who need to know God in the name of God?

Lon

I'm not sure what to make of this blather but it seems to be some sort of an attempt at conflict.

Somewhat. It is a request for self-reflection lest either of us be found wanting. I 'think' at the top of the list, "Christian" means "deeply loves the Lord Jesus Christ." As such, when things don't sync, we should encourage one another to love and good. Hebrews 10:24, 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Lon

A good question for the management here: Is it allowable for everyone to call people retard, moron, idiot, and stupid, or are only a certain group of people allowed to do so? And if it's the latter, who are these people?
I try 'not' to. I've been on the end of that proverbial stick as well. The difference is, I suppose, that I don't feel a need to return the jab.

Lon

Were such a thing to occur, it would give the impression that that side of the debate had nothing substantive left to offer, and had been reduced to nothing more than childish name-calling. Were that to be part of a forum management's normal operating procedure, it would give the impression that that side of the debate was so weak, it could not survive in a fair environment and needed such special protection in order to persist.

I'm glad to see that you're above that sort of thing. :)

The good news is I think Trump and his speech writers use TOL for speeches and debate :up:

Oops, I meant :doh: or something like... :idunno:

Lon

Agreed. :thumb:
Well, "Shut up you idiot!" might have been funnier. "Agreed. :thumb: " Isn't quite as memorable. I might have even chuckled the next day, but I also like the 3 stooges. Low-brow may be an acquired taste.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The good news is I think Trump and his speech writers use TOL for speeches and debate :up:

Oops, I meant :doh: or something like... :idunno:

Trump is going to change his game plan now to be more presidential. He's going on a tear across America

Reactions: Lon

genuineoriginal

i note you evaded my question. I'll rephrase it for you: what justifies being rude and insulting to those who need to know God in the name of God?
I believe your question is based on an imaginary situation, since we have been talking about being rude and insulting to arrogant people on Theology Online.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I believe your question is based on an imaginary situation, since we have been talking about being rude and insulting to arrogant people on Theology Online.
Same principle regardless of where the conversation takes place. Why the aversion to answering my question?