A respectful request to Sherman for tolerance in moderation.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
No, there is a difference in audience from the one you specified.
No, there is not. You think that atheists on this site are simply here to troll and mock so that frees Christians to be rude and insulting. It does not. You have a chance to share by example what it means to Love and God and show that love by serving others and giving those that are here to mock a good reason to actually listen to the Gospel. It should not matter that it is over the internet, on a street corner, in your church or at work.

You seem to have missed the part where Jesus was rude and insulting to people that were too full of themselves to listen to him.
Maybe it is because you notice a resemblance between yourself and them?

No, I didn't miss it, I pointed out that you were wrong. Jesus got angry at the Pharisees because they perverted His Father's message for their own goals. Jesus wasn't insulting them so much as He was defining them by their actions. Can you show us where Jesus got rude and insulting with anybody who wasn't a Pharisee or defiling His Fathers temple?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
What Would Jesus Do?

What Would Jesus Do?

What if it is not being done in lieu of offering valid, constructive and challenging debate and discussion on a certain subject, but is being done because the other person is merely trolling instead of offering valid, constructive and challenging debate and discussion on a certain subject?

While we can determine by following a discussion who is merely trolling and behaving inappropriately, we still have to ask if its proper and 'good' to call them names like 'idiot', 'stupid', 'retard' or 'moron', and what higher good that ultimately serves and if that hurts or helps your "witness" for Christ (I speak here of those so called 'Christians' who are aspiring or claiming to represent Jesus). Otherwise in any dialogue if a person is obstinate, refusing to have a civil, reasonable, respectful discussion....you have other options like finally agreeing to disagree, reporting the person if you feel they are violating any forum rules, or put them on IGNORE. - So you have options. - you don't have to be rude or crude.

Would you think it is okay to point out the lack of substance on the other side of the discussion by calling the person names after repeatedly trying to bring meaning to the discussion and getting nowhere?

See above, the same options or solutions are available in how to handle a situation. I've had rounds with some, and have resorted after much discussion in calling out misbehavior as 'buffoonery' or 'bigotry', so would imply the other person is behaving like a 'buffoon' or 'bigot', their behavior proving such according to a proper definition. I'm careful not to use words like 'moron' or 'idiot', although the temptation is there in some cases. This can happen after so many rounds of dialogue have been exhausted. Unfortunately continual name-calling just increases animosity, antagonism and diverts more from the actual points of discussion into a 'flame-war' that becomes 'personal' becoming more demeaning, a tit for tat war, and where does that go? Who does that edify? What good or value comes from name-calling taken too far, it only hurts, demeans and devalues. This is the antithesis of love and its motivation.

I would also disagree with your explanation (and other 'truth-smackers' by the way) that because Jesus called some people certain 'names' that a so called follower of his also has the right to name-call. This is basically using Jesus as a 'poster-child' to justify their method of 'truth-smacking'. As far as Jesus goes, you'd have to look at every incident where he name-called, the situational-context, purpose, etc. - in some of these cases you cant correlate or equate the 'situational-context' to a modern day internet forum. So the ole "Jesus did it so I can too" mentality doesn't really fly....which is why extreme forms of 'truth-smacking' are merely 'self-serving' if anything....a religious ego justification to engage in 'verbal whiplashing'. - again, if anyone thinks this gives them brownie points with Jesus, I'd reconsider.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
13061968_706004922876083_5833940360599887584_n.jpg

genuineoriginal

No, there is not. You think that atheists on this site are simply here to troll and mock so that frees Christians to be rude and insulting. It does not. You have a chance to share by example what it means to Love and God and show that love by serving others and giving those that are here to mock a good reason to actually listen to the Gospel. It should not matter that it is over the internet, on a street corner, in your church or at work.
You need to check out the Bible and see how mockers are treated before passing your self-righteous judgment on others.

Jesus got angry at the Pharisees because they perverted His Father's message for their own goals. Jesus wasn't insulting them so much as He was defining them by their actions.
Jesus was rude and insulting to the self-righteous scribes and Pharisees because they were self-righteous.

Can you show us where Jesus got rude and insulting with anybody who wasn't a Pharisee or defiling His Fathers temple?

genuineoriginal

While we can determine by following a discussion who is merely trolling and behaving inappropriately, we still have to ask if its proper and 'good' to call them names like 'idiot', 'stupid', 'retard' or 'moron', and what higher good that ultimately serves and if that hurts or helps your "witness" for Christ (I speak here of those so called 'Christians' who are aspiring or claiming to represent Jesus). Otherwise in any dialogue if a person is obstinate, refusing to have a civil, reasonable, respectful discussion....you have other options like finally agreeing to disagree, reporting the person if you feel they are violating any forum rules, or put them on IGNORE.
I have used each of those three options.

you don't have to be rude or crude.
I have used both of those options, too.
:chuckle:

I would also disagree with your explanation (and other 'truth-smackers' by the way) that because Jesus called some people certain 'names' that a so called follower of his also has the right to name-call.
I only refer to the actions of Jesus when someone that pretends to know the scriptures starts saying the behavior is not Christian behavior.

Many people do not understand that the only people that were called names by Jesus were the ones that are so puffed up with pride that they don't listen to others.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You need to check out the Bible and see how mockers are treated before passing your self-righteous judgment on others.

Jesus was rude and insulting to the self-righteous scribes and Pharisees because they were self-righteous.

I have no trouble pointing out your self-righteous judgement of others, both Christian and non, on this site. Like so very many Christians I meet, you have seized on those few times where Jesus got angry and totally for get that Jesus gave YOU a job: go forth and make believers of all men, Your attitude turns people away from God, not towards them.