Why did you become a Christian.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

1 Did you think that going to Church and being obedient would be rewarded with favour?
2 Was it the fact that in church you might meet the ideal husband/wife?
3 Is going to church a habit or natural progression from being brought up in a Christian home?
4 Do you think that going to church is the right thing to do and you want to be seen as doing the right thing?
5 You’ve always been a christian and if you didn’t go to church, what would people think or say?
6 You are an incorrigibly superstitious person and you don’t want bad luck by not going to church?

Most of this does not apply to the majority of Christians on TOL.

From what I see, you are fighting with her as much as she is with you. Do you want the thread closed?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

1 Did you think that going to Church and being obedient would be rewarded with favour?
3 Is going to church a habit or natural progression from being brought up in a Christian home?
4 Do you think that going to church is the right thing to do and you want to be seen as doing the right thing?
5 You’ve always been a christian and if you didn’t go to church, what would people think or say?
6 You are an incorrigibly superstitious person and you don’t want bad luck by not going to church?

This list is obviously not exhaustive and I would be interested in any other reasons.

In 300 AD christianity was in the minority within the great Empire of Rome. By 400 AD it was the official religion of the Empire and was practised by almost everyone.
In those days the answer to the question why did you become a christian would have been answer 1 and/or 4 and 6.

If 3 is the answer. Do you still attend the same church or denomination.

Answer: election

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Truster

Most of this does not apply to the majority of Christians on TOL.

From what I see, you are fighting with her as much as she is with you. Do you want the thread closed?

As far as you can see? Well go and take another look. The only interaction I have is when she visits my threads.
This thread has everything to do with people on here, but most of them don't realise it.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Why? Because God willed and worked it.

I did not seek Him, nor willed to find any kind of religion.

He sought me, while I remained dead in my trespasses and sins, and raised me to new life; gifting me with faith in Jesus Christ and granting me repentance from sin.

God's Truth

PS Even if you cannot answer in public please, please do so in private.

I was being interviewed by a local police officer three weeks ago. After fifteen minutes or so he asked what it is I do for a living. I said that I help people to dig their heads out of the sand. He smiled and said, I imagine you do just that.

Please start digging.

So why were the police questioning you? Did someone call the police on you for insulting them and calling them wicked and condemned? Did they want to arrest you, or did he let you go as some "special" kinda person?

Lon

"Why did I become a Christian?"

John 15:16; 6:65 Isaiah 41:13,14 Ephesians 2:4,5,8-10 1 Corinthians 4:7 Romans 9:16 Acts 16:14
If I am reading you right: "By the will of God."

"Christian" is one of those words that causes frustration/confusion: for instance someone unregenerate could call t{hemselves "Christian," just as some who were not Israel by faith, claimed to be Israel. Paul stated, not all Israel is/was Israel. Romans 9:6 So similarly, I think "Christian" needs to be defined as to what is meant Acts 11:26 because "not all Christians are (regenerate) Christians" the Apostle Paul might say.

God's Truth

John 15:16; 6:65 Isaiah 41:13,14 Ephesians 2:4,5,8-10 1 Corinthians 4:7 Romans 9:16 Acts 16:14

"Christian" is one of those words that causes frustration/confusion: for instance someone unregenerate could call t{hemselves "Christian," just as some who were not Israel by faith, claimed to be Israel. Paul stated, not all Israel is/was Israel. Romans 9:6 So similarly, I think "Christian" needs to be defined as to what is meant Acts 11:26 because "not all Christians are (regenerate) Christians" the Apostle Paul might say.

Jesus said they were not a child of God because they did NOT OBEY God.

That is what made them not Israel.

Christians are not really Christians if they do not obey God.

Faither

BANNED
Banned

This list is obviously not exhaustive and I would be interested in any other reasons.

In 300 AD christianity was in the minority within the great Empire of Rome. By 400 AD it was the official religion of the Empire and was practised by almost everyone.
In those days the answer to the question why did you become a christian would have been answer 1 and/or 4 and 6.

If 3 is the answer. Do you still attend the same church or denomination.

I stumbled onto it. More precise , i was drowning , i grabbed onto the only thing available to save me and it was Jesus. "pisteuo"

Truster

The term christian that should be Messianist was first used in Antioch. It is said,"And the disciples were called Messianists (Christians) first in Antioch".

"The disciples were first called" etc ....a disciple simply means "someone who learns from" and in those times it would have been a Rabbi they learned from. Messiah was called Rabbi. Those who learn inwardly from Messiah, who have the anointing that teaches them all things, are disciples of Messiah. Those that learn from books, creeds and parrot fashion are not disciples. They have outward means and knowledge, but not the inward teaching and understanding.

Lon

The term christian that should be Messianist was first used in Antioch. It is said,"And the disciples were called Messianists (Christians) first in Antioch".

"The disciples were first called" etc ....a disciple simply means "someone who learns from" and in those times it would have been a Rabbi they learned from. Messiah was called Rabbi. Those who learn inwardly from Messiah, who have the anointing that teaches them all things, are disciples of Messiah.
Appreciate the clarification on this. Thank you.

Those that learn from books, creeds and parrot fashion are not disciples. They have outward means and knowledge, but not the inward teaching and understanding.

To me, a false dichotomy: If a book, or your posts in thread, follow Christ, there is no reasonable assessment that suggests what you (in this example as a book, creed, parrot, or internet post) are saying something false, or that I am saying anything false for repeating it. Rather, we test the creeds, books, parroting, and/or internet post to see if it stands up to scriptural scrutiny. There is way too much baby being thrown out with the bathwater and imho, not really enough time or talent for everyone to reinvent his/her own wheel. As you are attesting: The Holy Spirit is able to burn dross along the way. I would agree with you, if it came to it, that reading scripture is of first import. I'm merely saying that creeds or your post here in thread, etc. are not bad in and of themselves. For instance: Do you despise Spurgeon? C.S. Lewis? Etc.? I'd think not. Take for example, any particular point you may disagree with an author of your choosing. Those with the mind of Christ already know the point of disagreement as Christ is leading them. I yet appreciate, however I may disagree on a point or another, C.S. Lewis' mind for Christ, testimony, and apologetic, yet I only follow him 'as he follows Christ.' (not to get too far off topic of the OP nor trying to follow your ideas too far from it other than as it pertains to the OP in whatever way you've brought up the points). -Lon

oatmeal

Anyone who is called, "a religious reprobate" by Roberto Paté must have some knowledge of the truth and the ability to separate the good from the vile. So the next question has to be:

Are you a regenerate man who trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone?

I met the requirements of Romans 10:9 and am therefore saved, ie, have received the gift of eternal life and have endeavored to put on the mind of Christ so that my life better represents the man who lived and died and was raised by God from the dead and was seated on the right hand of God ... so that I live worthily of God and his son

Faither

BANNED
Banned

Hi Lon ,

Do you know what the word Israel means ?

glorydaz

You see, you are so sleazy and clever, disguised as humble.

You talk like serpent.

You don't even disguise as a wolf. You are plain wolf with your venomous words.

Have you read Jesus' word yet?

Why don't you go away? This thread isn't for you, and you know it. :troll:

daqq

None of the above in my circumstances because I was not even looking, though I always had a belief in "God" before my initial conversion, (during my high school years). I was walking home from school one day and a messenger named John Elias came along side and preached to me the Gospel of repentance from the epistle to the Romans. Immediately upon hearing it I knew in my soul it was the truth, (I even skipped for joy the remainder of the way home from school, never got home so fast in all my life, and probably looked like a fool skipping along at the age of sixteen). The next day John led me to and got me involved in a congregation that taught the Word, (which just so happened to be on the way to and from school). I only knew him for several weeks and then he was gone, he just disappeared from my life in the midst of all the joy and the sudden new change of path and journey; I had never been to his house, never knew where he lived, never met his parents if he had any, and actually never really knew anything about him at all. About twenty seven years later, after all that time thinking myself to be "saved" and "a Christian", I was born from above in my darkest hour. Thanks be to John Elias for the preaching but thanks be to Elohim Most High in the End; for no one can keep alive his soul in that hour. I indeed know what grace is, and I do know the grace of Elohim, and I know we are delivered by nothing but the grace of Elohim; and I also know the terror of the Master. Remember Lot's wife. :)

Truster

None of the above in my circumstances because I was not even looking, though I always had a belief in "God" before my initial conversion, (during my high school years). I was walking home from school one day and a messenger named John Elias came along side and preached to me the Gospel of repentance from the epistle to the Romans. Immediately upon hearing it I knew in my soul it was the truth, (I even skipped for joy the remainder of the way home from school, never got home so fast in all my life, and probably looked like a fool skipping along at the age of sixteen). The next day John led me to and got me involved in a congregation that taught the Word, (which just so happened to be on the way to and from school). I only knew him for several weeks and then he was gone, he just disappeared from my life in the midst of all the joy and the sudden new change of path and journey; I had never been to his house, never knew where he lived, never met his parents if he had any, and actually never really knew anything about him at all. About twenty seven years later, after all that time thinking myself to be "saved" and "a Christian", I was born from above in my darkest hour. Thanks be to John Elias for the preaching but thanks be to Elohim Most High in the End; for no one can keep alive his soul in that hour. I indeed know what grace is, and I do know the grace of Elohim, and I know we are delivered by nothing but the grace of Elohim; and I also know the terror of the Master. Remember Lot's wife. :)

Thanks Daqq that sounds genuine and I can relate to both your experiences. One false and then the true. One outwardly and one in power inwardly. Where have you been getting your teaching from? How long is it since you were saved?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Thanks Daqq that sounds genuine and I can relate to both your experiences. One false and then the true. One outwardly and one in power inwardly. Where have you been getting your teaching from? How long is it since you were saved?

Perhaps the Mormon Church?