ECT We know that God does not hear sinners ...

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
I am NOT speaking of "self" assurance but assurance that only God can give that you know it is of Him?

"Wisdom" is a wrong answer unless you know it is of God? And right now Tulipbee does take that into his consideration.
I avoid bossing God and twisting His arm to force him to pick me cause of my good works and human efforts. You boast and boast and boast over and over. Only unregenerates do that. They can only follow thier own path. You know nothing.

elohiym

What about David? He commits adultery (a sin) and has Uriah murdered (a sin), and yet we have a record of his prayer of confession and his request for forgiveness in Psalm 51. Certainly, God heard that prayer.

Don't you have to reconcile that with all the scriptures that indicate God doesn't hear sinners? Either it's a contradiction or it's not.

Orual

Don't you have to reconcile that with all the scriptures that indicate God doesn't hear sinners? Either it's a contradiction or it's not.

I agree that it could appear that way, but I'd like to dig a little to see if it actually is. Let's take my example and use it as a launch point. We can work out from there and into the other scriptures.

We can both agree that David sinned in his dealings with Uriah. Am I right?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Never draw conclusions by something as that. Are you God?

Nope. that's why I don't rely on my own judgment. Jesus may have different idea.

Do you know Jesus says not everyone who says Lord, Lord will not inherit God's kingdom?

We all believe we read or interpret right. So I don't believe your interpretation is wright either.

We all believe we are right and our opposers are wrong.

So your questions were meaningless.

Last edited:

genuineoriginal

John 9:31 We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him.

I believe that God does not hear sinners.

Discuss.
The Greek word ἀκούω akouō (hear) is not a great translation of the words of Jesus, who spoke in Aramaic or Hebrew.
To get a fuller meaning of the use of the word ἀκούω akouō (hear) we should go to the Hebrew word most likely used: שָׁמַע shama`

Deuteronomy 6:4
4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:​

From this, we can see that the applicable definitions are "to consent to, agree; to grant request"
God does not grant the requests of sinners who are not doing His will.

ἀκούω akouō
  • to hear, listen to, obey
    • (Qal)
      • to hear (perceive by ear)
      • to hear of or concerning
      • to hear (have power to hear)
      • to hear with attention or interest, listen to
      • to understand (language)
      • to hear (of judicial cases)
      • to listen, give heed
        • to consent, agree
        • to grant request
      • to listen to, yield to
      • to obey, be obedient

elohiym

I agree that it could appear that way, but I'd like to dig a little to see if it actually is. Let's take my example and use it as a launch point. We can work out from there and into the other scriptures.

We can both agree that David sinned in his dealings with Uriah. Am I right?

Yes. If nothing else, we have David's confession:

Psalm 51:3 "...I have sinned."

We must also consider this fact:

1 Kings 15:5 "because David did what was right in the sight of the LORD, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the case of Uriah the Hittite."

So we have David confessing to his one sin. He sounds repentant. Does that mean he is a sinner or an ex-sinner praying? My vote is repentant ex-sinner. Had David been unrepentant, not only would God not have heard him (according to the other scriptures I've presented) but Psalm 51 and 1 Kings 15:5 obviously wouldn't have been written.

elohiym

elohiym

God is not incapable of hearing the prayers of sinners, He is unresponsive to their prayers.

Of course. Read the thread. I've said as much. However, we are dealing with certain scriptures worded certain ways, and some people obviously believe that God is responsive to the prayers of sinners. You can be on my side of the debate arguing that God is not responsive. :)

genuineoriginal

Of course. Read the thread. I've said as much. However, we are dealing with certain scriptures worded certain ways, and some people obviously believe that God is responsive to the prayers of sinners. You can be on my side of the debate arguing that God is not responsive. :)

I suppose that really depends on what you mean by "sinners".
The verse in the OP contrasts "sinners" with those that worship God and do His will.

This means that "sinners" are those that do not worship God and those that do not do His will.

God does not respond to those that do not worship Him.
God does not respond to those that worship Him but do not do His will.

Being omnipresent would make Him capable of hearing everything, literally. Sure.
"omnipresent" is a Hellenistic myth and not fully supported by scripture.
The "omnipresent" nature of God is contradicted by God being fed information from the angels going up and down the "ladder", the seven eyes of god running to and fro through the whole earth, and several other passages of scripture.

Cross Reference

The "omnipresent" nature of God is contradicted by God being fed information from the angels going up and down the "ladder", the seven eyes of god running to and fro through the whole earth, and several other passages of scripture.

Why not first consider you don't understand the "types" mentioned throughout the OT scriptures? Before making such an obsurd remark about God?

genuineoriginal

Why not first consider you don't understand the "types" mentioned throughout the OT scriptures? Before making such an obsurd remark about God?
What makes you think my remark is absurd?

1 Kings 19:11-12
11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.​

Cross Reference

What makes you think my remark is absurd?

1 Kings 19:11-12
11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.​

Your lack of understanding by insight. I would to think you knew what a metaphor was.

elohiym

Sinners are those who willfully transgress the law of God.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

What I mean by omnipresent is this:

Ephesians 4:6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

If you have a better term than omnipresent to describe that, let me know.

genuineoriginal

Sinners are those who willfully transgress the law of God.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
I would say it is a person who willfully transgresses the law of God and is unrepentant about it.

Luke 15:7
7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.​

What I mean by omnipresent is this:

Ephesians 4:6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

If you have a better term than omnipresent to describe that, let me know.

Ephesians 4:6
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.​

In context, all is referring to people, not to everything in the universe.

Maybe you have another verse?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The verse in the OP contrasts "sinners" with those that worship God and do His will.

This means that "sinners" are those that do not worship God and those that do not do His will.

God does not respond to those that do not worship Him.
God does not respond to those that worship Him but do not do His will.

Where in Scripture does it say; God doesn't answer the prayers of a member of the Body of Christ, when they're not doing everything according to His will? The "True Believer" has the righteousness of Christ.