toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL, and can you predict those who wil

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 25th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL, and can you predict those who will?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL,
and can you predict those who will?

No feelings on the selves or a chip on the shoulder, shoe leather tough.

Pliable as the one can be without breaking, yet with rock solid in truthsmacking.

As for posting, debating, know what you are getting into, and if you can't stand the heat move on.

Following the TOL rules, that works too.

As for predicting who will survive, some you can see waning interest or become :mmph: to :madmad: and they are gone; I don't think I could predict who'll survive or not survive on TOL, maybe it's like the weather only like "Stick around five minutes people change."

I predict I'll survive, enough said :e4e:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
surviving on TOL should not be anyone's goal
instead one should figure out how to use it
this is not easy
present your message
if
you have one
challenge what you don't agree with
ask questions
it drives them crazy

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
A strong sense of your own beliefs and principles is necessary. If you know yourself, you'll be less affected by the opinions of others.

You'll need patience. And forgiveness. And the willingness to walk away from the screen when you can't exhibit either.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Determination ... to interact reasonably with others and the ability to reconsider your response before replying. Realistic expectations for the sight.

Also, as Barbarian stated ... patience.

As for those who will survive ... those who hold the same or similar views to the administrators OR those who follow the rules.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What does it take to survive on TOL, and can you predict those who will?

A willingness to overlook a great many things: insults, childish behavior, foolishness, wickedness and perversion; for instance. Though if it does go too far and break the rules then you should report it.

It is ofttimes easy to tell when someone is not going to make it, but it takes a bit of time to see if some are going to stick around for the long haul. At least for me.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Sending the moderators flowers or a case of their favorite beer weekly has helped.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

It takes True Grits!!

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1. A thick skin. TOL isn't for crybabies.
2. Follow the rules.
3. Respect the staff.
4. Have fun while you are on here.

Selaphiel

1. Being able to take timeout. If you feel agitated, go into a read only mode for a little while and enjoy the social aspects of the site while cooling off.

2. Finding some friends on the site that have somewhat similar views and interests as yourself.

3. Realize that TOL is a privately owned website, they are not obligated to cater to your sense of justice when it comes to forum rulings.

Shasta

If anything is to be gained here you have to understand the other person's point of view first. That is often what causes dialogues to generate more heat than light.

Developing the ability to avoid reacting to personal insults and biting sarcasm certainly helps here and in life too. Taking it from brothers in Christ elevates this to an even higher level.

I believe one should pursue truth for its own sake, not to run my doctrine up the flagpole of my kingdom of self. I do not "own" truth any more than I "own" gravity. Truth is not an extension of my ego. I should be ready to say "I am wrong" "I don't know" when it comes to that point. I often have to go back and ""study to answer" which makes it hard but better. At times I that I am wrong. That is evidence that the I can be corrected by the word. You have to be polite to people just as you would if they were standing before you IRL.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Commitment to the integrity and rules of the site.

BTW, Knight, I hope you don't kick-off any time soon!
I want TOL to be here a looooooooooong time.
I just love this place!

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Have a tough skin and be compassionate. It's a lot easier when you try to understand others.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER

I have no idea but I'm taking notes hoping to learn. :)