toldailytopic: The Catholic Church: what did they get right, and what did they get wr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Do you have any thoughts of your own to offer, or just some links? Serious question.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It's called backing up your words with documentation. Cruciform's post was very informative. (Get over yourself atheist).

Sincerely yours,

The Lurker

Backing up your words is fine, but posting only a bunch of links is not conducive to discussion which is what forums are about.

Charity

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 4th, 2011 10:23 AM

toldailytopic: The Catholic Church: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

What did they get right?

the right to migrate threw out the whole earth being a respected authority.

proving How to be imoral an ruthless an hold all power while being safe from all an any higher earthly judge.

smile...boils down to deneying The Natural human Nature. an deceiving even self out of a pure perception.

zippy2006

What did they get right?

the right to migrate threw out the whole earth being a respected authority.

proving How to be imoral an ruthless an hold all power while being safe from all an any higher earthly judge.

smile...boils down to deneying The Natural human Nature. an deceiving even self out of a pure perception.

This is one of the most sensible criticisms of the Catholic Church I've seen :thumb: :D

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Catholics do sometimes have more reference to God, more hate for sin, than do some Christians: they might sometimes be as holy as The Salvation Army, some would argue, to an extent, or in a way, if you know what I mean.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Backing up your words is fine, but posting only a bunch of links is not conducive to discussion which is what forums are about.

I know, it's no fun when the truth is revealed, especially so early in a thread.

I'm here to learn (which I did learn from Cruciform's links), not to listen to some atheist blather.

Cruciform

Do you have any thoughts of your own to offer, or just some links? Serious question.
My own thoughts are accurately reflected in the articles I chose to cite---that's why I cited them. Serious answer.

In any case, my purpose in posting them was merely to provide some primary resources for any genuinely interested readers who might actually desire an accurate understanding of Catholic belief and teaching, rather than the common hackneyed, knee-jerk anti-Catholic stereotypes that are routinely passed around on this forum. If you have no such genuine interest, then these articles are not for you.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

oatmeal

Well, having been raised a Roman Catholic with a Lutheran mother and a charismatic aunt.

Wow.

Are we talking doctrinally, or practically? Or both?

I will go with both.

1. I did get born again/saved while a Roman Catholic.

Ie, they teach that Jesus is lord and that God raised him from the dead.

See Romans 10:9-10

2. One nun taught me that God is the supreme being and that God is perfect and that everything that He does is perfect therefore God's word is perfect.

I was excited about that and wanted to hear more, but she stopped there.

3. This same nun read the record of the day of Pentecost to us. She said the pope was trying to decide if he should sanction speaking in tongues or not. The nun said that there are charismatic catholics who speak in tongues. I decided that the pope was not qualified. It is so clear that the apostles spoke in tongues. I decided that I wanted to speak in tongues.

I concluded that,"if it is good enough for the apostles, it is good enough for me"

4. That nun read to us what the great mystery that Paul wrote of is.

Ephesians 3:6

5. They taught the ten commandments but they taught it as if we are under the law for righteousness. We are not.

Salvation and righteousness are gifts, gifts are not earned, wages are.

6. If I have my facts straight, I believe that it was the nun who taught the origin of the Devil and devil spirits from Ezekiel, etc.

I cannot think of any thing off hand that they got right.

wrong?

Other people have done a good job of listing those.

oatmeal

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The church [call it catholic if you want to] committed the same sin that Jereboam the son of Nebat did in old testament Israel which God never ceased to remind the Jews telling them that one day it would cost them their homeland.

Jereboam set up idolatory with his golden calf and ALL Israel apart from Judah turned aside, now be careful to note that God did not at that time completely abandon Israel. At some point, there must be a record of the event [God never leaves Himself without a witness] stashed away somewhere. But there must have been a collective decision to make the EUCHARIST the focal point of worship.

It is a major swerve away from the invisible God every bit as wicked as Jereboam. God still works in the Catholic church but He does so secretly and not manifestly. Alongside this sin they raised the bishop to the place of Christ, commanding that he must be revered and obeyed even as Christ.

These events took place long, long before the rise and establishment of Rome and the primacy of the bishop of Rome but it was from these seeds that the Catholic church arose.

What they do right? well plenty, but to me the most important is that at mass they read from the OT from the epistles and from the gospel. straight reading without comment. This part of mass at least is glorious.

I hope not to offend my Catholic friends.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

Funny, that's the same thing I say about...

aSeattleConserv said:
It's called backing up your words with documentation. Cruciform's post was very informative. (Get over yourself atheist).

Sincerely yours,

The Lurker

:rotfl:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Anything that the Church may have happened to get "right" via its attempts at altruism is completely undone, and absolutely negated, by the systematic abuse it has perpetrated, aided, abetted, and hidden for the decades that we know of.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Anything that the Church may have happened to get "right" via its attempts at altruism is completely undone, and absolutely negated, by the systematic abuse it has perpetrated, aided, abetted, and hidden for the decades that we know of.

She lifts up Christ every day upon the altar. She forgives sins and comforts the dying, the poor, the oppressed, etc. You see the Church only in view of its individual members. I see the Church for what it is: the presence of Christ Himself in the world. It is Christ Himself who lifts Himself up on the altar. It is Christ Himself who forgives sins in the confessional. It is Christ Himself who brings humanity to new life at the baptismal fount. It is Christ Himself who comes to a dying man in his final hour and says: "You need not die alone; here I am to accompany you and lead you on your way."

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Really? Because I don't think I've ever seen Granite post a stream of links. He always gives his own thoughts. You must not pay attention.

The "thoughts" of atheists pretty much goes hand in hand with their religion:

They believe in nothing, and they really have nothing worthwhile to say.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Really? Because I don't think I've ever seen Granite post a stream of links. He always gives his own thoughts. You must not pay attention.

Don't feed the trolls. :plain:

You didn't get it. I was going to say "that's the same thing I say about ASC," but then he just so happened to post something praising Cruciform's utter inability to think for himself, so I didn't even need to say "ASC."

Status
Not open for further replies.