toldailytopic: The Catholic Church: what did they get right, and what did they get wr

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyChristian

By way of example: they inspired the Reformation. Say what you like about Martin Luther, but the Reformation was a boon to skeptics and free thinkers everywhere and throughout the ages. It broke the monopoly of a monstrous institution once and for all. That takes some doing: the very tyranny of the church provoked a blow from which it's never recovered. Well done!

Exposure. Dismissal. Sued. Disgraced. Works for me.

:up:

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
The Great Pope Gregory I (540-604 AD) is said to have been the last great Pope of the Roman Catholics.

Greg went on the inspire the Gregorian Missions who must have started the Churches of England, which later turned into Anglican around 1246 AD. Anglican means England Church. That somehow influenced Simon Episcopius, Hugo Grotius, John Wesley. Arminianism was inspired by these guys, and was obviously mostly inspired by Jacob Arminius.

The five points of Calvinism, was formed after Jacob Arminius died in 1609, as a counter against Arminianism, during the Belgic Confession. Arminius believed in Prevenient Grace, which was also adopted from Augustine Theology (of Augustine of Hippo, 354-430 AD, a Reformation Father), which was inspired from Manichaeism (who taught that God was non-omnipotent God).

Anyways, Catholicism (Pope Gregory I) indirectly influenced the Church of England which influenced Anglicanism which influenced Arminianism which influenced Methodism which influenced the parents of the founder to The Salvation Army. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_I

I am not totally trying to endorse The Salvation Army, right now, but they might just be doing the most good, right? Therefore, thank you, Catholic Church, for The Salvation Army.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
And one more time, if SOD's responding to me, he's been on the ignore list for a while. Connie, same goes for you--I see you lurking.:cheers:

Let's put the OP's questions a little differently:

In what way did the Catholic Church ever leave a civilization, people, culture, or place, better than the way they found it? True improvement--happiness, quality of life, etc. I'm not talking building an orphanage or something; something uniquely Catholic that the Church brought to a region or people for the region or people's betterment.

Furthermore, this improvement cannot be offset by any subsequent damage; in other words, whatever community outreach the Church conducted in Boston is undone by the hideous child abuse there, for example. So any examples of "improvement" must also be free of any taint of the Church's long record of depravity.

Pange Lingua

Ecce agnus Dei! Ecce qui tolit peccata mundi!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The Great Pope Gregory I (540-604 AD) is said to have been the last great Pope of the Roman Catholics.

Greg went on the inspire the Gregorian Missions who must have started the Churches of England, which later turned into Anglican around 1246 AD. Anglican means England Church. That somehow influenced Simon Episcopius, Hugo Grotius, John Wesley. Arminianism was inspired by these guys, and was obviously mostly inspired by Jacob Arminius.

The five points of Calvinism, was formed after Jacob Arminius died in 1609, as a counter against Arminianism, during the Belgic Confession. Arminius believed in Prevenient Grace, which was also adopted from Augustine Theology (of Augustine of Hippo, 354-430 AD, a Reformation Father), which was inspired from Manichaeism (who taught that God was non-omnipotent God).

Anyways, Catholicism (Pope Gregory I) indirectly influenced the Church of England which influenced Anglicanism which influenced Arminianism which influenced Methodism which influenced the parents of the founder to The Salvation Army. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_I

I am not totally trying to endorse The Salvation Army, right now, but they might just be doing the most good, right? Therefore, thank you, Catholic Church, for The Salvation Army.

What a slippery slope leading nowhere. :eek: Try doing you own thinking.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Actually, you can thank the Catholic Church for Protestantism and Anglicanism in general, if you look at it that way.

Knight asked what did the Catholics get right? That answers depends on what the Protestants or Anglicans or others have got right, right?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 4th, 2011 10:23 AM

toldailytopic: The Catholic Church: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Lets start with what they got wrong I might miss a few since I don't know all their doctrines:
Mariolatry
Mary staying a virgin until her death.
Mary Queen of Heaven
Mary Mother of the Church
The immaculate conception
Mary as co Redemptex
Assumption of Mary
Purgatory
Indulgences
Prayers to the saints
The Papacy
Priests not Marrying
Transubstantiation
Aprocypha

What they got right:

Biblical cannon--Old testament and New testament
Pro-life
Trinity-Father, Son, Holy Spirit
Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus
Ascension of Jesus
The Ten commandments

Are they Christian?--it would be a case by case basis. Does the Catholic person have a personal relationship with Jesus. Salvation is based on a renewed (exchanged) life. Putting off the old and putting on the new, not the name above your church door. Not all Catholics buy into the bogus doctrines I have listed.

BabyChristian

now serving over one billion world wide

That's simply because of location, location, location.

They were right there, in fact is was the Romans that killed Christ.

They took over, changed everything to Latin and wanted everyone dependent on them for knowledge about Christ and they made a pant-load of money off of it too, which is abhorrent to God.

Yeah, I know Jesus told Peter upon this rock I will build my church. That could have been taken so many ways but what can't be taken any other way is when Jesus said, "Get behind me Satan."

Selling indulgences.........oh heck there's just too many things that I find something to which Jesus had a fit over once already when there was a profit being made in the Temple. Yet your beloved church has repeated it many times.

I'm sorry Chrys, I get sick of your attitude about your lovely church.

You think they DO SO MUCH for their followers. They don't do enough obviously or they wouldn't be so wealthy.

I wouldn't go off like this if it weren't for Chrys and his conceit about something in which he should be ashamed.

Oh, what they did get right is they believe Jesus is the Son of God.

yeshuaslavejeff

That's simply because of location, location, location.

They were right there, in fact is was the Romans that killed Christ.

They took over, changed everything to Latin and wanted everyone dependent on them for knowledge about Christ and they made a pant-load of money off of it too, which is abhorrent to God.

Yeah, I know Jesus told Peter upon this rock I will build my church. That could have been taken so many ways but what can't be taken any other way is when Jesus said, "Get behind me Satan."

Selling indulgences.........oh heck there's just too many things that I find something to which Jesus had a fit over once already when there was a profit being made in the Temple. Yet your beloved church has repeated it many times.

I'm sorry Chrys, I get sick of your attitude about your lovely church.

You think they DO SO MUCH for their followers. They don't do enough obviously or they wouldn't be so wealthy.

I wouldn't go off like this if it weren't for Chrys and his conceit about something in which he should be ashamed.

Oh, what they did get right is they believe Jesus is the Son of God.

.... and, yet, they perish when and because they won't obey nor follow HIM.
.... remember even the demons believe that Yahshua is the Son of Yhvh the Only Mighty One, the Creator.
.... and, yet, the demons perish without salvation because they are unable to partake of Yhvh's Grace.
.... so, too, most all of the rcc - not because they can't, but because they won't; and, worse still, they do all they can to prevent others.

Cruciform

The Catholics got the fear, the traditions, a little right, but not the heart.
I'm sure that virtually all Christians for the first millennium-and-a-half of Church history will be glad to hear that... :doh:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

zippy2006

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 4th, 2011 10:23 AM

toldailytopic: The Catholic Church: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I think one of the most important contributions the Catholic Church has for our modern world is stressing the fact that morality and God are not mutually exclusive. If you claim to be a follower of Christ but do not reflect Him in your life then there is a problem.

Other than that I agree with most of the previous answers. You could say the Catholic Church did something wrong by involving itself in politics too much but it isn't a very distinctive criticism--you could say it of any institution. I'm glad no one found Granite's absurd question about which civilizations the church improved to be worth answering :D

:e4e:

some other dude

I think one of the most important contributions the Catholic Church has for our modern world is stressing the fact that morality and God are not mutually exclusive. If you claim to be a follower of Christ but do not reflect Him in your life then there is a problem.

Other than that I agree with most of the previous answers. You could say the Catholic Church did something wrong by involving itself in politics too much but it isn't a very distinctive criticism--you could say it of any institution. I'm glad no one found Granite's absurd question about which civilizations the church improved to be worth answering :D

:e4e:

I must have missed that one.

Western.

The answer is Western.

Cruciform

Lets start with what they got wrong.
"Wrong" according to what universally-binding authority? (Hint: Your interpretations of the Bible and theological opinions don't qualify. :nono: )

Mariolatry
You're simply wrong here, since Catholics in no way "worship" Mary.
Mary staying a virgin until her death.
Even Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli passionately taught and defended the docrine of Mary's Perpetual Virginity.
Mary Queen of Heaven
Mary Mother of the Church
This is not a formal Catholic doctrine, but I would certainly contend for its basic truthfulness.

The immaculate conception
Mary as co Redemptex
Assumption of Mary
Purgatory
Indulgences
Prayers to the saints
The Papacy
Priests not Marrying
Transubstantiation
Aprocypha

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform