toldailytopic: The Catholic Church: what did they get right, and what did they get wr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I certainly do. However, here I was specifically responding to you, not to the Church.

Your concern is trying to defend the Church, not condemn it. Your heart and priorities are sick and warped.

Simply a False Dilemma Fallacy on your part, which has already been answered above.

Absolutely incorrect.

Your completely unsubstantiated assertion is noted.

It's at this point that I understand what it's like to talk to people who deny the moon landings or the Holocaust. In the face of absolutely unimpeachable evidence, a true zealot, nut, or liar will simply...deny. Either you're a true idiot, a misinformer or disinformer, or you're completely naive and poorly read. Last but not least, you may just be lying and expect others here to fall for what you're selling.

The reality of worldwide child abuse by the Catholic Church is well documented (and will continue to be so). For you to deny otherwise is to degrade and insult the Church's victims and to support the perverts and sadists who committed this abuse. Fine company you keep.

Of course I condemn the tiny minority of Catholic clergy who perpetrated and enabled such sinful and inexcusable acts.

I'm reminded of Sarte complaining in the 1930s about the gulags--he acknowledged their existence but was only really outraged about how the bougeois press was using the camps to misrepresent the glorious USSR. This kind of demented, perverse doublethink doesn't change.

For you to continually deny what your Church has done--and is surely still doing--puts you in a position of supporting a global cabal of child abuse. That's my last post in this thread. I refuse to dignify what you stand for and the men you keep on defending a second longer. People like you are the reason thousands of children were abused with impunity.

Cruciform

Your concern is trying to defend the Church, not condemn it.Your heart and priorities are sick and warped.Absolutely incorrect.It's at this point that I understand what it's like to talk to people who deny the moon landings or the Holocaust.In the face of absolutely unimpeachable evidence, a true zealot, nut, or liar will simply...deny.Either you're a true idiot, a misinformer or disinformer, or you're completely naive and poorly read.Last but not least, you may just be lying and expect others here to fall for what you're selling.The reality of worldwide child abuse by the Catholic Church is well documented (and will continue to be so). For you to deny otherwise is to degrade and insult the Church's victims and to support the perverts and sadists who committed this abuse.Fine company you keep.I'm reminded of Sarte complaining in the 1930s about the gulags--he acknowledged their existence but was only really outraged about how the bougeois press was using the camps to misrepresent the glorious USSR.This kind of demented, perverse doublethink doesn't change.For you to continually deny what your Church has done--and is surely still doing--puts you in a position of supporting a global cabal of child abuse.That's my last post in this thread.I refuse to dignify what you stand for and the men you keep on defending a second longer.People like you are the reason thousands of children were abused with impunity.
You've been answered and are frustrated, and so you fall back upon familiar ad hominem rhetoric and the mindless repetition of already-corrected falsehoods. Don't bother. Your strident argument from emotion simply contradicts the facts. Take care now.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Squishes

Right: Helping millions of poor and suffering people around the world.
Wrong: Their theological beliefs, their actions leading to the deaths of millions.

The Satanist makes valid points. You defend wicked false teachers because you're one of them (Gal. 1:6–8).

geeze... pathetic..

b4 i went back to the Catholic Church i did all kinds of sins i wouldn't do today..

our priests (98% probably) are celibate

we are the only Church that teaches that abortion is a mortal sin in any case, save to save the life of the mother... t he only Church t hat teaches that marriage is forever (only church to speak of anyhow)...

and you call us wicked..

maybe you should check out those satanists... why dont you try calling THEM wicked?

i know why: scared :doh: ..

soemthing the Catholic Church got WRONG

soemthing the Catholic Church got WRONG

here's something i WILL admit the RCC got wrong, me, Miss RomanCatholicToTheFreakingCore

2 words:

Martin Luther​

fallen away Catholics... told ya they are the WORST

Martin Luther was a bad Catholic..

so i guess it comes down to this:

Do we listen to the bad one or to the good ones??

(well, i dont mean WE literally. i've made my choice)

Krsto

• Wow, tens-of-Catholics out of more than a billion worldwide. The fact is that you're simply engaging here in the Fallacy of Small Sampling. Your arbitrary conclusions on this faulty basis mean nothing.

• Moreover, if you had phrased your question in a specifically Catholic rather than decidedly Protestant form, the answers you received from Catholics would have been much different. Here, you commit the glaring non sequitur of assuming that because Catholics don't always use the same soteriological concepts and vocabulary as Protestants, the Catholics must therefore not understand "the Gospel" (as articulated by you, at least). In short, the mere fact that Catholics did not understand you does not mean that they did not understand the Gospel.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

No, I was at a university, these Catholics weren't morons, they understood the question, "If you were to die today and you were standing at the Pearly Gates, why should Peter let you in?" The usual Catholic answer was something like, "My good outweighs my bad," or "I dunno." Do you seriously believe these people understood the Good New of Jesus Christ? BTW - I didn't always frame the question that way - the gist was "why should God let you go to heaven when you die?"

Statistics lesson - when you get 17 results from a small sample of 20 93% of the time you are going to get 1650 to 1750 results when the sample is 2000. You can't just ignore stats from small samples.

csuguy

They went wrong when they started imprisoning, killing, or otherwise forcibly silencing theological opponents. You can thank Constantine for starting it. Then there's the matter of the pope, of the worship and false doctrines concerning Mary, and their literal interpretation of the Eucharist.

Nonetheless, Catholics are our fellow Christians and we should seek to join them in serving God.

Status
Not open for further replies.