Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking

SOURCE

I think Hawking must have fell on his head too many times. Maybe he ran his power chair into too many light poles and scrambled his marbles. Or perhaps he is going senile. His statement seems that ludicrous. He seems to be losing it to come out with a blarney statement as such. Hawking's views have shifted in recent years. In 2006 Hawking quoted the Pope:

"It's OK to study the universe and where it began. But we should not inquire into the beginning itself because that was the moment of creation and the work of God."

SOURCE

His newest statement is that smelly stuff you find in a horse stall. He's been producing a lot of it lately.

To gain eternal life one must have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Hawking, the skeptic is not interested in a relationship with God. Something has poisoned his mind against things spiritual. I suspect it is pride.

Jukia

cy·borg 
–noun
a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.​
Is Stephen Hawking's physiological functioning aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device? If so, he is a cyborg, regardless of the cause.

Anyone with a respirator or a heart pacemaker a cyborg?

Silent Hunter

Did I say I could prove it? Can a belief be proved? Do I expect you to believe what I believe?
. . . not exactly what you implied when you said, ". . . "it is undeniable that the universe has evolved as though with a sense of "purpose" from the big bang until now, and I would suggest that this purpose has meaning. . . . "undeniable" seems to suggest there is evidence to back your assertion.

Here's another quote from The Matrix for you:

Commander Lock: Not everyone believes what you believe.
Morpheus: My beliefs do not require them to.​
:liberals:

. . . you can "suggest" all you want . . . the onus is on you to . . . prove it. I think he was being quite literal.
. . . given you withdrew your objection to . . . "we are "star stuff" . . . without purpose . . . without meaning . . . according to Sagan" . . . I'd say the point is proofed . . . :chuckle:

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Is it just me or is it funny that Stephen Hawking is "running" as far away from the truth and God as he can. Get it.... running!!! LOLOLOLOL

Lon

Jesus claimed to have been there.

"Nope, that's not imperical evidence, in fact, we'll doubt He existed as well just to make it convenient for ourselves. Let's compare His story to a fairy tale, though they've little in common. That'll make it really easy..."

<sigh>

nicholsmom

I stand with Puddleglum on the side of Narnia :)

"All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one thing more to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things - trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we're leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for the Overland. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that's a small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say."

- Puddleglum to the Queen of Underland in The Silver Chair by CS Lewis

El DLo

I happen to agree with him, but I don't understand why this is stirring controversy. He's a highly educated man, so his opinion obviously isn't THAT arbitrary. At the very least respect his beliefs for what they are, and respect his rights to voice those beliefs.

Lon

Isn't it ironic that we theists are told we don't have the credentials to speak out on science matters but a great many of these scientists feel qualified to speak on matters of theology?

Conveniently one-sided, no?

rexlunae

cy·borg 
–noun
a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.​
Is Stephen Hawking's physiological functioning aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device? If so, he is a cyborg, regardless of the cause.

I wear glasses. I can barely function without them. They have mechanical hinges. Am I a cyborg? What if you wear a watch, and use it to plan your day?

rexlunae

Einstein believed in a higher power. He loved life.

He didn't believe in any kind of personal god, so I don't really see the relevance.

It has a great deal to do with it. He does not live a normal life. His body cannot take care of him. His body cannot bring him pleasure. He dwells in his intellect. While he is alive he has a spirit which is life.
Stephen Hawking doesn't love life.

Given the former, I simply don't understand the later. I mean, it makes sense to me that anyone who believes that we only have one life would value that one life no matter how hard it gets at times.

rexlunae

Isn't it ironic that we theists are told we don't have the credentials to speak out on science matters but a great many of these scientists feel qualified to speak on matters of theology?

Conveniently one-sided, no?

It is quite convenient that theology is so much simpler than a lot of science. Makes it much more accessible.

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Every time a non-believer has anything to say about God, I am reminded why they do:

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
Rom 1:19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.
Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
Rom 1:21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,
Rom 1:25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.

When a person hates someone, as the non-believer hates God, you should not be surprised to find them often discussing the object of their enmity.

AMR

John Mortimer

In a sense Hawking's statement is correct - there is no "after-life". The very phrase, "after-life", springs from a consciousness that absolutely identifies the present experience with "life" and therefore as and when this present experience ends, life ends. Life never ends. Death, as it is perceived by the consciousness that thinks of an "after-life", is an illusion. There is no after-life because life is life and life goes on.

And as for the brain being regarded like a computer and all that he implies with his "broken down computer parts"...
The faith of materialism is this - that everything non-physical, (including human consciousness), is caused by the physical. To me that is the most incredible leap of faith anyone could ever make. I am genuinely astonished by the faith of materialism.

Silent Hunter

Every time a non-believer has anything to say about God, I am reminded why they do:

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
Rom 1:19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.
Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
Rom 1:21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,
Rom 1:25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.

When a person hates someone, as the non-believer hates God, you should not be surprised to find them often discussing the object of their enmity.

AMR
:confused:

:think:

:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.