toldailytopic: Stephen Hawking says Heaven is a 'fairy story'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 16th, 2011 12:49 PM

toldailytopic: Stephen Hawking says Heaven is a 'fairy story', what do you think about that assertion?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking

SOURCE

warren clark

toldailytopic: Stephen Hawing says Heaven is a 'fairy story', what do you think about that assertion?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Isn't it a fairy tale? Like Jack and the Beanstalk?
The Bible does follow the routine.

john w

Hall of Fame
Translation: What I do not understand, I will not believe. I cannot believe there is a heaven, so there isn't. It's called idolatry.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Stephen Hawing says Heaven is a 'fairy story', what do you think about that assertion?

Is. 5:21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!

john w

Hall of Fame
If you believe everything you read, you are right.

Nope. He reduces objective truth to what he believes, i.e., "If I do not 'get' it, it is false." You made this "If you believe everything you read" zinger up. Members of the boc believe the book. You do not. Poor you. Better "luck" the next life, when you are in hell with your "Uncle Sludge."

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
He can assert whatever he wants. Means nothing to me.
I can do it too, watch this....

I regard the autonomous existence that atheists hold to as a fairy story for people afraid of the light of the creator.

genuineoriginal

Are all people with Lou Gehrig's disease "cyborgs", or just the ones who don't believe what you want them to believe?

cy·borg 
–noun
a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.​
Is Stephen Hawking's physiological functioning aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device? If so, he is a cyborg, regardless of the cause.

firon

"The natural man receives not the the things of the Spirit of God. Neither can he know them, for they are spiritually discerned."

Paulos

cy·borg 
–noun
a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.​
Is Stephen Hawking's physiological functioning aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device? If so, he is a cyborg, regardless of the cause.

Touche; however there are many otherwise intelligent and enlightened people who are not cyborgs and who wholeheartedly agree with Hawking, so I don't see why you felt it appropriate to bring up his physical condition. What does that have to do with it?

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Stephen Hawing says Heaven is a 'fairy story',
what do you think about that assertion?

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking

SOURCE

What do I think? The brain as a computer that fails, no heaven, no afterlife, fairy story, that sounds like wishful thinking, and that Stephen Hawking is a man with no hope, Stephen Hawking is a man without hope doesn't care about heaven or the afterlife, Stephen Hawking is a man without hope and who is content to remain in the dark, Stephen Hawking is a man who will find out when his death comes, as will all those who are like Stephen Hawking in this world. A man or woman without hope is like a man or woman without a country.

Fairy story? In regard to the creative handy work of God is true and man is not a mindless big bang that exploded out of the water and on the beach scene, so let me dream on if I'm dreaming, because I'm blessed since I have not seen and yet believed in Jesus and in the afterlife, and Jesus said so. Heaven I will see and the afterlife I will know the moment I die; for I too shall know that when my death comes that my blessed hope shall be realized and I shall be in the presence of the Lord where there will be light and joy forevermore. Fact, got that? Fact.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Status
Not open for further replies.