toldailytopic: For those unsaved. If it turns out you were wrong and you face God in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: Interesting responses. To be honest, I was expecting more:

"IEEEEEAAAYYYYYYIIIIIAAAHHHHHOOOOOOO!"

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Mark 10:18 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.

Luke 18:19 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.

Romans 3:9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin;

Romans 3:10 as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;

Romans 3:11 THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD;

Romans 3:12 ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE."

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I forgot to say I'd spit in his eye, give him the finger, say a few things that I can't say here. Pretty much not hold back and let him know what I really think.

And then I'll ride away on the invisible pink unicorn and visit the Flying Spaghetti Monster and share a barrel of bloodwine with him and Chancellor Gowron.

Zeke

It isn't. You can't /choose/ to believe that anything is true. I can't literally choose to believe that Islam is true or Christianity is true. I have to be convinced that they are true as before I can believe. It is why Pascal's Wager is a fallacy and it is why the entire notion of redemption through thought is incoherent.

Right, you know more about it than most christians who have their will stuck in high gear, for all the world to snicker at. God teaches this in Romans 9-11, That 9-11 serves as a warning to those who say they can choose themselves into belief.

All will come to a understanding of His purpose, which is to be testified to in due 1Tim 2:4-6. 2Cor 5:18-19, Colossians 1:16-20.

Grace, Zeke.

Lovejoy

I forgot to say I'd spit in his eye, give him the finger, say a few things that I can't say here. Pretty much not hold back and let him know what I really think.

I don't think He has an eye.

And then I'll ride away on the invisible pink unicorn and visit the Flying Spaghetti Monster and share a barrel of bloodwine with him and Chancellor Gowron.

How do you know it is pink? And why is the FSM in Sto-Vo-Kor?

Layla

can I now present that to you
and
change your beliefs?

You're very welcome to try (though perhaps in a different thread). :)

Layla,

This post of yours really grabbed my attention.

I agree with you. This is very well said.

But can you be held morally accountable for whether or not you opened yourself up to influences that may have helped to convince you?

Thanks for your post.
Hilston

Personally, I don't consider it immoral to choose to be closed-minded. You can certainly be held accountable for it, in the sense that it's a choice you're making and the consequences are your own fault, but I'm not really sure how you'd be accountable to anyone besides yourself on that front.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I forgot to say I'd spit in his eye, give him the finger, say a few things that I can't say here. Pretty much not hold back and let him know what I really think...
There is bad news and there is good news: "...[D]o you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the Kingdom of God? Do not be deceived, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers shall inherit the Kingdom of God (1 Co 6:9). God has good news for homosexuals. They are redeemable. They can be saved. They can be delivered from that sin. They can be washed from its stains. They can be set on a road of godly, holy, pure living called sanctification..."

See:

God's View of Homosexuality, Part 1 by John MacArthur

Last edited:

Squishes

The Biblical answer is yes, and yes. In the past, prior to the conversion of Saul of Tarsus, the obligation extended beyond individual humans to tribes and nations.

Why do you care about the Biblical answer?

What does "moral obligation" and "wrong" mean to you?

I don't know, but I suspect a moral obligation is something we do to remain rationally consistent with hardwired tendencies.

"Wrong" is not a singular concept, but a word that we use to express a cluster of concepts. Usually it has to do with emotional reactions to states of affairs. But it can also extend to non-ethical circumstances.

Dena

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 1st, 2011 08:34 AM

toldailytopic: For those unsaved. If it turns out you were wrong and you face God in judgment what will be your defense?

I suppose all I could do is point out that He should have been much more clear and direct.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I suppose all I could do is point out that He should have been much more clear and direct.

Hundreds of millions have got the message. We are preaching the gospel here and pointing to the historical Christ, cross, resurrection.

I suppose you want Jesus to manifest in front of you before you will believe?

"Simply that I tried my best to lead a good life and not cause any harm . . . . "
ragTagblues
Agreed. However, I will add that it was not a moral failing on my part but an intellectual one. Am I to be condemned to hell simply because I did not see the evidence as valid even tho it was? Is hell for stupid people? Is it for people that are brain damaged or suffer from mental retardation? Its as if I was condemned to eternal punishment because I did not understand a calculus problem!
One of my favorite parables comes from the Hindu tradition. Hinduism is like Christianity in that there are many different forms of it. One branch says that the way to heaven is to think about God. They tell this parable, an atheist wakes up and says," there is no God." During the day he repeats this and then says it before he goes to sleep. This goes on for decades. The atheist dies and is taken directly to heaven!!! He is amazed and asks why. God answers because you never stopped thinking about me for even a minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.