The Serial comma is good, right, and proper

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Rex's thread spurred me to start a thread in a similar vein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma

Is it just me or is the serial/oxford comma used less and less these days? Does it depend on the type of writing being done? Seeing it left off is becoming quite the pet peeve of mine. :mmph: Excluding it doesn't always change the meaning of the sentence or make it ambiguous, but I still think it should always be used.

:sibbie: Use the Oxford comma!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Is it just me or is the serial/oxford comma used less and less these days? Does it depend on the type of writing being done? Seeing it left off is becoming quite the pet peeve of mine. :mmph: Excluding it doesn't always change the meaning of the sentence or make it ambiguous, but I still think it should always be used.

Knew of an English teacher who lapsed into an Oxford comma after a series of brutal key strokes. Left her parenthesized from her apadosis apple to her colon. :plain:

The comma is the most, frequently overused and inappropriately placed punctuation, in all of grammar. :eek:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I like brandishing commas around.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Buzzword

It's the difference between inviting the hookers, Barack, and Bubba, and inviting the hookers, Barack and Bubba.

Also, I want to go back in time and vehemently, violently dissuade whoever decided that the apostrophe should EVER be used for pluralization.
Because that plague will apparently never be cured from the collective unconscious.

noguru

I use to use it consistently. But lately I have just gotten a little lazy and opt out of that one keystroke. I think I am saving room in cyberspace.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knew of an English teacher who lapsed into an Oxford comma after a series of brutal key strokes. Left her parenthesized from her apadosis apple to her colon. :plain:

The comma is the most, frequently overused and inappropriately placed punctuation, in all of grammar. :eek:

Commas, in my humble opinion, should be used, at every opportunity, whether they belong there, or not.

This is a very serious topic and I don't appreciate you making light of it. :sibbie:

:D

Granite

Hall of Fame
Anything that makes you sound like William Shatner should, at best, be used...sparingly.

Caledvwlch

Also, I want to go back in time and vehemently, violently dissuade whoever decided that the apostrophe should EVER be used for pluralization.
Because that plague will apparently never be cured from the collective unconscious.

Completely agree.

Cal's socks are dirty.

Cal's never going to wash his dirty socks.

:eek:

Also, I've stopped using commas between consecutive adjectives.