The Most Dangerous Teaching

God's Truth

Ah, so you claim Jesus preached this?

1 Cor. 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

And this?

2 Timothy 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

That is what Jesus preached.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:up:

And that may be the biggest danger....perverting the Gospel. :think:

Jeremiah 23:1-2 NASB

'Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of My pasture!' declares the LORD. Therefore thus says the LORD God of Israel concerning the shepherds who are tending My people: 'You have scattered My flock and driven them away, and have not attended to them; behold, I am about to attend to you for the evil of your deeds,' declares the LORD.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How do you EVER get that it is perverted to preach power in obeying Jesus?

GT, in love, how do you EVER get that it is right to try to earn grace?

What do you say to those who "fall short" when trying to do more than God has already done? There is only damnation and failure when we try to do what has been completed. Jesus said, "It is finished!"

glorydaz

The translation team of the New English Bible seem to deny this. They not only change the original Hebrew, but they add to it. One example...

Isaiah 9:6 in the New English Bible says:

(The emphasis is mine.)

The Hebrew is incontrovertible. Two words. EL GIBOR = MIGHTY GOD. It says nothing of battle or being "like" God.

Scary.

The Bible is incontrovertible.

Jesus Christ is God come in the flesh.

God's Truth

GT, in love, how do you EVER get that it is right to try to earn grace?

Grace is that we don't have to get circumcised, adhere to a special diet, observe special days, and do various external washings, and sacrifice animals.

What ever possessed you to think we are saved by NOT obeying God, or not obeying is to obey?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Grace is that we don't have to get circumcised, adhere to a special diet, observe special days, and do various external washings, and sacrifice animals.

What ever possessed you to think we are saved by NOT obeying God, or not obeying is to obey?

Last I checked, I am not God. I don't believe anyone here is, either. I cannot do more than God has done. I do not wish to try. Why are you trying so hard to earn grace?

genuineoriginal

Works are a result of faith.
It is a good thing that Noah performed works because of faith and showed us how it is supposed to be done.

Hebrews 11:7
7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.​

God's Truth

Last I checked, I am not God. I don't believe anyone here is, either. I cannot do more than God has done. I do not wish to try. Why are you trying so hard to earn grace?

What?

Jesus tells us what to do.

Where do you get that it would make you God to be a servant to God?

What do you mean why am I trying so hard?

Jesus says it is light, easy, and not burdensome.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What?

Jesus tells us what to do.

Where to you get that it would make you God to be a servant to God?

What do you mean why am I trying so hard?

Jesus says it is light, easy, and not burdensome.

Exactly how much must we "do" in order to earn salvation? How many works are required? Are they measurable?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because she is a pit dweller, and desires the company of other prideful boasters and deniers of Rom 5:18-19.

genuineoriginal

God gives His gift to those He chooses to give it.
That is close to what the verse is stating, but it goes deeper than that.

Ephesians 2:8
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:​

The word gift is a specific Greek word, g1435 δῶρον dōron, in 17 times out of the 19 times it is found in the New Testament it is referring to offering sacrifices to God in the Temple.
(one exception is Revelation 11:10, the other possible exception is this verse)

Also, the Greek does not state that it is a gift from God; The phrase used is for a gift that belongs to God.

Paul is stating that our salvation is a gift that God has given to Himself because we have found favor in His sight (Grace) through our faith.