The Most Dangerous Teaching

God's Truth

That is close to what the verse is stating, but it goes deeper than that.

Ephesians 2:8
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:​

The word gift is a specific Greek word, g1435 δῶρον dōron, in 17 times out of the 19 times it is found in the New Testament it is referring to offering sacrifices to God in the Temple.
(one exception is Revelation 11:10, the other possible exception is this verse)

Also, the Greek does not state that it is a gift from God; The phrase used is for a gift that belongs to God.

Paul is stating that our salvation is a gift that God has given to Himself because we have found favor in His sight (Grace) through our faith.

Paul is saying we are not saved anymore by doing the purification/ceremonial works of the law, i.e. circumcision, adherence to a dietary law, observance of special days, various external washings after natural discharges, and animal sacrifices, etc.

We are made pure now by faith that Jesus' blood cleaning us of the sins we repent of doing.

The gift is the Holy Spirit and eternal life by God giving this to those who believe and obey Jesus.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are people who repent of their sins and get put in Hell for it?
You have not repented.
You still want to EARN your salvation by your own righteousness and obedience.
54.gif

We trust scripture over the word of the pit dwellers.

Romans 5:18-19 KJV
(18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
(19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

God's Truth

Not necessary, friend. I choose to believe what the Bible says.

Ephesians 2:8-10

And again

Romans 3:28

No such thing what you think that scripture says.

It doesn't say what you were taught to believe it says.

Paul isn't saying don't obey.

He was a Pharisee who enforced the purification/ceremonial works that were enforce for over 1,600 years.

Jesus came and now cleans us.

That means all we have to do is have faith that his blood cleans us without the killing of animals everyday.

It doesn't mean no obey anything.

God's Truth

You have not repented.
You still want to EARN your salvation by your own righteousness and obedience.
54.gif

We trust scripture over the word of the pit dwellers.

Romans 5:18-19 KJV
(18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
(19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Jesus doesn't say we have to repent for obeying. That would be ludicrous.

genuineoriginal

And again

I also choose to believe what the Bible says.
However, the verse you mention from Romans 3 is being used by you to contradict what Paul just got done stating in Romans 2.

Romans 2:2-11
2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
11 For there is no respect of persons with God.​

So who is right?
Paul in Romans 2 or Paul in Romans 3?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No such thing what you think that scripture says.

It doesn't say what you were taught to believe it says.

Paul isn't saying don't obey.

He was a Pharisee who enforced the purification/ceremonial works that were enforce for over 1,600 years.

Jesus came and now cleans us.

That means all we have to do is have faith that his blood cleans us without the killing of animals everyday.

It doesn't mean no obey anything.

Justification means that God declares a sinner to be righteous. He does this by reckoning the righteousness of the the LORD Jesus Christ to the sinner. This is done by faith, and faith alone. That is, when the sinner puts his faith in the sacrifice - the finished sacrifice - of Jesus and trusts in Him and not himself for righteousness, then God justifies him. We are justified by faith, not works.

Nothing we can ever do will bring us "closer" to God. We cannot do what He did. We cannot earn our way into heaven.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For all those trying desperately to save yourselves - to justify yourselves through works - how is that working out for you?

God's Truth

And again

These are the deeds of the old law that no longer purify:

The Burnt Offering; The Grain Offering; The Fellowship Offering; The Sin Offering; The Guilt Offering; Dietary Laws; Purification After Childbirth; Cleansing From Infectious Skin Diseases; Cleansing From Mildew; Discharges Causing Uncleanness; The Day of Atonement; Rules for Priests; The Sabbath; Firstfruits; The Passover and Unleavened Bread; Feast of Weeks; Feast of Trumpets; Feast of Tabernacles; Oil and Bread Set Before The LORD; the Sabbath Year; The Year of Jubilee; Circumcision.

genuineoriginal

Jesus tells us what to do.
He does if we talk to Him and listen to what He says.
We get saved by doing it.
No, our obedience is a product of our faith, not the source of our salvation.
Jesus is the source of our salvation and it is up to Him to decide whether He wants us to be in the kingdom with Him.
Our duty is to find out what standard Jesus is using to evaluate us.
How do you not know what He wants?
Many people have no clue what Jesus wants from us.
The solution is to discuss it with Him.
If you won't talk to Jesus about what He wants, there is no way for you to know.

God's Truth

For all those trying desperately to save yourselves - to justify yourselves through works - how is that working out for you?

I am not saving myself. I did exactly what the Lord said to do, even when I didn't understand why he said what he says.

He is right, his words are Spirit and life.

It is wonderful.

I am in the realm of the Spirit.

He seated me with him and made his home in my heart.

drbrumley

A person can believe and NEVER obey.

Just because one believes does not mean they are saved.

We have to believe and obey.

Do you even read what you type? I mean seriously. I say if one doesn't believe, HE/SHE will NEVER obey. The disobedience is the proof you don't believe.

If you can willfully and knowingly sin against the will of God with no conviction, no compunction, and no remorse, you need to get saved.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am not saving myself. I did exactly what the Lord said to do, even when I didn't understand why he said what he says.

He is right, his words are Spirit and life.

It is wonderful.

I am in the realm of the Spirit.

He seated me with him and made his home in my heart.

Does He speak to you directly? I'm wondering what He says, and why you don't always understand what He's telling you to do.