The cigar lounge

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
OK, guys it's time to talk cigars. I never thought I would end up smoking cigars but now that I am older I have found that I very much enjoy a fine cigar on occasion.

Don't get me wrong... I don't smoke everyday, not even every week. Only once or twice a month will I set aside some time to relax and enjoy a fine cigar with a delicious drink amongst friends.

Therefore... if you are a cigar smoker lets talk! What's your favorite type of smoke? How often do you smoke? Where do you smoke?

My all-time favorite smoke is the Padron 1964 Annversario (maduro).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In the Humidor right now....

(in order of what I am most excited to smoke)

Padron 2000
Macanudo Cru Royale
Nub Maduro
La Gloria Cubana Serie R
Brickhouse
H Upmann
La Flor De Maria Mancini
...and several other odds and ends

drbrumley

Smoking e cigs now. Havent had a cigarette in 24 days. I was thinking about a good cigar to smoke, but will wait till I get most of the junk from my system.

Bet that humidor you have has a great smell around it.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
While I don't smoke I do like the aroma of cigars, but hate the stench of cigarettes.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah... cigarettes are gross. I don't want to breathe any smoke into my lungs at all.

The fun part of cigars in my opinion is the neat packaging, the rarity, the types, kinds, blends, etc.

I also like exploring the neat parings such as cognac, port wine, coffee, etc.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will not derail this thread (too much :D), but I must say that I am more of a pipe kind of guy.

I enjoy a good cigar, but I do not know the first thing about them. When I have bought them in the past, I have walked into a humidor and picked the most expensive one (that I could afford) and hoped that I would get a decent one.

Not the best method by any means...:nono:

I look forward to hearing what all of you have to say. What advice would you give, Knight, for choosing a decent cigar?

Is it similar to the old saying about wine..."Anyone can choose an good expensive bottle of wine, but it takes a real expert to pick a good inexpensive bottle."

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What advice would you give, Knight, for choosing a decent cigar?
I'm pretty much of a newbie myself so I am not sure how good my advice would be.

Cigars are like many things.... dependent on individual taste.

I think a good idea is merely to buy one and smoke it so you have a starting point. Start with something decent so that you have a good standard to judge by.

A expensive but great cigar is a Padron 1964 Anniversario. A cheap(er) but good cigar is a La Gloria Cubana Serie R.

The difference between pipes and cigars is all about flavors. Pipe tobacco tends to be sweet and fruity while cigars are earthy, peppery, nutty, etc. I like the earthy chocolaty flavors of cigars compared to pipe tobacco but again that's my personal taste.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm pretty much of a newbie myself so I am not sure how good my advice would be.

Cigars are like many things.... dependent on individual taste.

I think a good idea is merely to buy one and smoke it so you have a starting point. Start with something decent so that you have a good standard to judge by.

A expensive but great cigar is a Padron 1964 Anniversario. A cheap(er) but good cigar is a La Gloria Cubana Serie R.

The difference between pipes and cigars is all about flavors. Pipe tobacco tends to be sweet and fruity while cigars are earthy, peppery, nutty, etc. I like the earthy chocolaty flavors of cigars compared to pipe tobacco but again that's my personal taste.

The above reads like something from Gone With The Wind.

When I was in the Navy I smoked wine soaked, dipped, tipped, something wine cigars, and cigars called crooks, that was between cigarettes, I was young what did I know. Then I decided to just stay with the cigarettes and smoked cigarettes for 41 years, and quit smoking cigarettes in 1 day 10 years ago.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will gladly pass along advice, but as already stated, it is individual taste. I will make a post about what I like in general, but not right this second.

Knight and a maduro. Who knew?...

Nang

TOL Subscriber
My all-time favorite smoke is the Padron 1964 Annversario (maduro).

When I first read this, I thought "Patron!"

Which is my favorite Tequila, and for two seconds, I figured we finally had something in common.

Not so, but . . .

I wonder how a Padron would go with a Patron or two?

Nang

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That Padron item is always coveted by me, may God forgive me. A nice smoke that I don't get to enjoy that often. Having smoked cigars for over twenty-five years, I found it to be one of the best.

Day to day, I smoke mostly Macanudo Maduro brands. I enjoy the Maduro wrapper. That said, I also like the Punch offerings.

I buy from JR Cigars and save plenty of money.

I smoke outside on the patio near my pool, like I am right now, while it is 38 degrees, but have a heater nearby. ;)
View attachment 16190

I smoke a few cigars daily and have been for as long as I have smoked cigars. For quick cigar breaks, I always have on hand plenty of these little guys:

https://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=itemDetails&itemcode=MAM

My birthday is coming up on the 3rd, so, if anyone is inclined.... ;)

AMR

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That Padron item is always coveted by me, may God forgive me. A nice smoke that I don't get to enjoy that often. Having smoked cigars for over twenty-five years, I found it to be one of the best.
I love it as well... tell me what it is about the Padron that you like so much. And which Padron's have you been fortunate enough to smoke?

Day to day, I smoke mostly Macanudo Maduro brands. I enjoy the Maduro wrapper. That said, I also like the Punch offerings.
I can't wait to try my Macanudo Cru Royale.

I buy from JR Cigars and save plenty of money.
JR's is great but they don't sell any Padron's at all. :( I have been hooked on Famous-Smoke.com and especially their Cigar Monster which brings up a new cigar deal every hour (I have the iPhone app and it's addicting).

I smoke outside on the patio near my pool, like I am right now, while it is 38 degrees, but have a heater nearby. ;)
View attachment 16190
I would love to visit someday and enjoy a cigar with you.

Tell me about how you store your cigars. How many humidors do you have? What kind of humidor do you prefer and what's your chosen method of humidification. And most importantly.... what cigars are "up to bat" in your humidor?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you own a pipe, Knight? Out of curiosity...
I do.

Pipe's are fun but I prefer cigars because they are much less work, the smoke lasts longer and therefore more relaxing, and a cigar is much more earthly, nutty, and chocolaty, whereas most pipe tobacco is sweet and fruity.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do.

Pipe's are fun but I prefer cigars because they are much less work, the smoke lasts longer and therefore more relaxing, and a cigar is much more earthly, nutty, and chocolaty, whereas most pipe tobacco is sweet and fruity.

I think you are right. I'd like to become more familiar with cigars, and I appreciate all the insight so far in this thread.

I enjoy a good pipe because of the tradition involved, but I think I would be open to more cigar smoking in the future.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think you are right. I'd like to become more familiar with cigars, and I appreciate all the insight so far in this thread.

I enjoy a good pipe because of the tradition involved, but I think I would be open to more cigar smoking in the future.
If you love tradition you will love the cigar world. Nothing could be more steeped in family tradition than cigar smoking. The care, the expertise, the traditions, are amazing. One neat thing about cigar smoking is that it's such a pure form of smoking. A cigar is nothing more than a combination of different tobacco leafs wrapped up and ready to smoke. Different leaf combinations provide and endless variety of different flavors.

Even the storage of cigars and the science of the humidor is interesting and fun.

Check out the Padron site to get a flavor for the cigar making traditions.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you love tradition you will love the cigar world. Nothing could be more steeped in family tradition than cigar smoking. The care, the expertise, the traditions, are amazing. One neat thing about cigar smoking is that it's such a pure form of smoking. A cigar is nothing more than a combination of different tobacco leafs wrapped up and ready to smoke. Different leaf combinations provide and endless variety of different flavors.

Even the storage of cigars and the science of the humidor is interesting and fun.

Check out the Padron site to get a flavor for the cigar making traditions.

I think it would be an amazing experience to visit a tobacco plantation some time! I know that my appreciation for whiskey was deepened when I visited a distillery one year. The process and the tradition come alive then!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think it would be an amazing experience to visit a tobacco plantation some time! I know that my appreciation for whiskey was deepened when I visited a distillery one year. The process and the tradition come alive then!
Hey... that would be fun! Check this out.