The cigar lounge

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dammit Knight you made me break out my Cohibas (Maduro). I'm trying to quit.
Sorry. :noid:

I like Maduro's as well. I think I prefer the nutty, chocolate taste of the maduro wrapper. Why do you like the maduro style?

Have you ever had a Padron 1964 Anniversario?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I thought of another great cigar smoker...

The soon-to-be-retired :)sigh:) mayor of Las Vegas!

Check out this article about him...

Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman is flamboyant, outspoken and an unabashed lover of fine cigars.

Oscar Goodman has one of the most unusual pedigrees in American politics. For 30 years he was the lawyer of choice for some of the most notorious mobsters in Las Vegas and beyond. His list of clients was almost a who's who of organized crime: Meyer Lansky, Nicky Scarfo, Frank "Lefty" Rosenthal and Anthony "Tony The Ant" Spilotro. As their lawyer, Goodman earned himself a reputation as a smart, tough, relentless combatant, a master of the law who would seize upon any loophole, any flaw in the search warrants or indictments, any missteps by the cops or prosecutors to keep his clients out of jail.

Then in 1998, Goodman made a stunning turn: he decided to run for mayor of Las Vegas. He was about to turn 60, he didn't have a drop of political experience and, given his baggage, no one—not even his family—thought he could win. But win he did, big, and right away he became a sensation. To the staid affairs of city government, he brought irreverence and panache. The mayor doesn't wear a signature carnation in his lapel; he keeps a signature Martini in his hand and a well-stocked humidor in his office. His unbridled tongue is legendary. Goodman regularly upbraids the homeless and he's suggested that graffiti artists who deface public property ought to have their thumbs removed. The local press lambastes him, but the voters of Las Vegas brush that aside. In 2003 and again in 2007, they reelected their mayor with slam-dunk majorities of 86 and 84 percent of the vote.

Read entire article from Cigar Aficionado here.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Have any of you chewed, or dipped?
When I was in junior high I tried chewing tobacco.

I don't like chewing tobacco.

The thing is... I don't smoke cigars for the nicotine. It's the flavor and relaxation of the moment that I am after. In fact, I don't smoke daily, or even weekly. It needs to be a special occasion.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
When I was in junior high I tried chewing tobacco.

I don't like chewing tobacco.

The thing is... I don't smoke cigars for the nicotine. It's the flavor and relaxation of the moment that I am after. In fact, I don't smoke daily, or even weekly. It needs to be a special occasion.

There are so many men in Texas who dip, it is more common than smoking. Now when employees began to complain about special privileges for those in a private office and the whole system indoors went smoke free. Some took to dipping without spitting.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you love tradition you will love the cigar world. Nothing could be more steeped in family tradition than cigar smoking. The care, the expertise, the traditions, are amazing. One neat thing about cigar smoking is that it's such a pure form of smoking. A cigar is nothing more than a combination of different tobacco leafs wrapped up and ready to smoke. Different leaf combinations provide and endless variety of different flavors.

Even the storage of cigars and the science of the humidor is interesting and fun.

Check out the Padron site to get a flavor for the cigar making traditions.

Speaking of tradition, I have two smoking jackets. Where that one comes from is back when a gentlemans club wasn't a ehpemism for Al Bundy's "Nudy Bar". After dinner, the dinner jacket was traded at the coat check for the smoking jacket. It minimizes the smoke smell on the clothes.

This one would require research to verify. They also used to wear white gloves while smoking. The tobacco stains the gloves, so a white wrapper was put on it. I don't remember reading who was the first to put their label on the wrapper.

You can probably find the Davidoff guide to Cigar ettiquete online. Wasn't too hard...

http://www.cigartrends.com/etiquette.php

You will also find varius drinks that can enhance or change the flavors a bit, and flavor is the whole reason for smoking. I drink brandy, which is a type of whiskey. But it isnt' distilled from grain like bourbon, it is distilled wine, making it slightly sweet. Similar to rum, which is distilled sugar cane.

If you can find a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 in a sixty, you have found one of my favorite smokes.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I thought of another great cigar smoker...

The soon-to-be-retired :)sigh:) mayor of Las Vegas!

Check out this article about him...

Read entire article from Cigar Aficionado here.

He is the Obama hater, right? They put up billboards around the city asking for the certificate, but no names on it.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Speaking of tradition, I have two smoking jackets.

I was given a black, silk smoking jacket by Mr. Hugh Hefner himself. I don't know whether to have it framed or burn it. :D

It is a pretty cool jacket, though.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He is the Obama hater, right? They put up billboards around the city asking for the certificate, but no names on it.

He is, in fact, the Obama hater. He told Obama in no uncertain terms that he wasn't welcome in our city.

Of course that didn't (doesn't) stop Obama from visiting, but when he does, the mayor makes a point of doing something far away from the president.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Smoking e cigs now. Havent had a cigarette in 24 days. I was thinking about a good cigar to smoke, but will wait till I get most of the junk from my system.

Bet that humidor you have has a great smell around it.

Good brother drb, Cigarette ≠ Cigar. And congratulations on 24 days!

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You can probably find the Davidoff guide to Cigar ettiquete online.

There are several Davidoff's here in Vegas. There is a large(ish) one at the Venetian. I should just wander in there someday and pick their brains. I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving me a quick lesson.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Sorry. :noid:

I like Maduro's as well. I think I prefer the nutty, chocolate taste of the maduro wrapper. Why do you like the maduro style?

Have you ever had a Padron 1964 Anniversario?

Never had a Padron..never heard of Padron :eek: ...to be completely honest.

My limited cigar repertoire consist of:

Cohiba (fave)
Oliva
Davidoff (was not impressed, interestingly enough)
Macanudo
And both Acid and CAO Flavours (Moontrance my fave flavoured)

Like you I simply enjoy the well-aged maduro flavor. :BillyBob:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I love it as well... tell me what it is about the Padron that you like so much. And which Padron's have you been fortunate enough to smoke?
I have smoked a few from each series, e.g., the 80 yr Maduro from the 26 series, the Maduro Imperial from the 64 series, and, of course, the Marduro Churchhills.

Aside from the right mix of sweet, bitter, and spice bouquet before the light up, a good cigar for me needs to have the long smoke, at least 35-45 minutes with a very even burn, a firm ash, and a draw that does not become acidic by the time I have a couple of inches of the cigar left. The inhale, and I do inhale, has to be soft but carrying a satisfying wallop, too.

JR's is great but they don't sell any Padron's at all. :( I have been hooked on Famous-Smoke.com and especially their Cigar Monster which brings up a new cigar deal every hour (I have the iPhone app and it's addicting).
I used to chase after every highly rated cigar, but I have settled on one or two brands and only try something new when I visit my local cigar-smoking lounge/club. That happens only once or twice a year.

I would love to visit someday and enjoy a cigar with you.
Let me know when you are in Phoenix.

Tell me about how you store your cigars. How many humidors do you have? What kind of humidor do you prefer and what's your chosen method of humidification. And most importantly.... what cigars are "up to bat" in your humidor?
I use a simple 50-ct desktop humidor with an electronic Thermo-Hygrometer. I then use a sponge based humidifier l that I just keep treated with distilled water.

Up to bat - I am not the occasional cigar smoker, as I smoke several cigars a day. They generally range from 6.50 x 42, 5.50 x 42, 4.25 x 32 versions of only the Macanudo and a few Punch offerings.

AMR