The cigar lounge

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Finished off the meeting with very nice and mild Romeo Y Julieta - 1875 Reserva Real.

ae95f2f5-f768-c4e5.jpg

Used to buy those by the box. :chuckle:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cigar Report

Cigar Report

Do yourself a favor and start with the best so you can have a standard to judge by.

Best expensive cigar: Padron 1964 or 1926 Anniversario. Maybe start with the imperial size 6.5x50 which should set you back around $19. (I like the maduro but they come in natural wrapper as well)

Best cheap cigar: Brickhouse, get the rubosto size which will only set you back $5.

So for under $25 you will have a great standard to judge other cigars by.

I'm here to report! I went to Mr. Bill's after I got off work Saturday evening, as promised, and I looked for the two cigars mentioned above. They were sold out of the Brickhouse, so I went with one of their own cigars for the cheap choice (see pics below). They did, however, have the Padron '64!

I haven't smoked the Mr. Bill's cigar; I started with the Padron. :thumb: Excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a very smooth smoke. It was also rich, but didn't overpower at all. The part that struck me the most was the peppery...almost earthy...tone to the smoke. Wow! Great suggestion to begin with, Knight.

(BTW...it didn't end up being ribs that night. I ended up getting some filet mignon instead.)

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Question for y'all...

I do not own a humidor, nor can I really afford one quite yet. (That wasn't a question, I know...:chuckle:) I am wondering if there are any simple techniques for storing cigars longer without a humidor...

I bought a nice wooden cigar box that was on sale the other night, and it is a good place to keep them, but it doesn't solve the problem of freshness. Vegas isn't exactly a humid place, and I don't want to buy a lot of wonderful cigars, only to have them dry out.

Is there some trick that I could do at home? Or is it better to only buy those cigars when I'm planning to smoke them?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Question for y'all...

I do not own a humidor, nor can I really afford one quite yet. (That wasn't a question, I know...:chuckle:) I am wondering if there are any simple techniques for storing cigars longer without a humidor...

I bought a nice wooden cigar box that was on sale the other night, and it is a good place to keep them, but it doesn't solve the problem of freshness. Vegas isn't exactly a humid place, and I don't want to buy a lot of wonderful cigars, only to have them dry out.

Is there some trick that I could do at home? Or is it better to only buy those cigars when I'm planning to smoke them?

Ziplock baggies work pretty good for a while. :plain:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Question for y'all...

Yes there is an answer, when I travel I put cigars in a tupperware container. Now I have modified it a little, I'll bet if you ask Mr. Bill's he could give you a couple of spanish cedar dividers that come in some boxes of cigars. They are very thin an you can cut them with scissors. I line the bottom of the container so my cigars are not sitting on the plastic (do not glue or tape them, adhesives off-gas). If you ask your tobacconist he may also be able to sell you a "Creedo Tube" or other small humidifier. This works well to keep small batches 5-10 cigars properly humidified, you may want to purchase a cheap hygrometer if you want to keep good track of humidity in your dry climate. This should tithe you over until you can purchase a good humidor. If you do purchase a humidor don't be fooled by cheap imitations. If it is not Spanish cedar not, white cedar, or other wood, you are getting sold a bill of goods. Only Spanish cedar will ensure the proper flavor in your cigars. JR Cigar always has some deals on humidors, sometimes you can get one with a box purchase, just check the deals periodically. Hope this helps, I would provide a pic but, I had knee surgery yesturday and am not quite mobile yet.

Cheers Rocketman

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes there is an answer, when I travel I put cigars in a tupperware container. Now I have modified it a little, I'll bet if you ask Mr. Bill's he could give you a couple of spanish cedar dividers that come in some boxes of cigars. They are very thin an you can cut them with scissors. I line the bottom of the container so my cigars are not sitting on the plastic (do not glue or tape them, adhesives off-gas). If you ask your tobacconist he may also be able to sell you a "Creedo Tube" or other small humidifier. This works well to keep small batches 5-10 cigars properly humidified, you may want to purchase a cheap hygrometer if you want to keep good track of humidity in your dry climate. This should tithe you over until you can purchase a good humidor. If you do purchase a humidor don't be fooled by cheap imitations. If it is not Spanish cedar not, white cedar, or other wood, you are getting sold a bill of goods. Only Spanish cedar will ensure the proper flavor in your cigars. JR Cigar always has some deals on humidors, sometimes you can get one with a box purchase, just check the deals periodically. Hope this helps, I would provide a pic but, I had knee surgery yesturday and am not quite mobile yet.

Cheers Rocketman

This is great! Thank you...

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Picked up this sampler with my next regular cigar refill order:

ROMEO Y JULIETA HABANA RESERVE TORO & CUTTER COLLECTOR'S TIN CIGARS

View attachment 16234
[click to enlarge]

Will arrive Friday and will let everyone know how they smoked.

AMR

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I started with the Padron. :thumb: Excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a very smooth smoke. It was also rich, but didn't overpower at all. The part that struck me the most was the peppery...almost earthy...tone to the smoke. Wow! Great suggestion to begin with, Knight.
Ahh.... your life will be forever changed. Now you will have a great measuring stick for the rest of your sticks. :D

I'm glad you enjoyed the Padron.

Wanna know the best news? The regular Padron series cigars 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, etc. are inexpensive and very close in quality to their Anniversario line. So if you love the 1964 give a Padron 3000 or 4000 a try.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ahh.... your life will be forever changed.

I hold you entirely responsible. :D

Wanna know the best news? The regular Padron series cigars 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, etc. are inexpensive and very close in quality to their Anniversario line. So if you love the 1964 give a Padron 3000 or 4000 a try.

I was actually wondering. That's great news indeed. What would you say is the main difference...flavor? Smoothness?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Question for y'all...

The safest thing to do is...

- buy a cheap travel humidor.
- buy a 75% humidipak which will keep your cigars perfect for about two months.

You don't want your expensive cigars going bad and the humidipak is the safest way to keep them fresh.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Question for y'all...

RM's suggestion to use the cedar dividers that come with many cigar boxes is one suggestion I would make.

You can store them in a nice zip-lock bag as well. Get yourself a few of these humidor discs and place one in the bag. While waiting for them to arrive, just soak a cotton ball in distilled water, squeeze the excess out (one quick squeeze only) and place that in the bag with the cigars...keeping the cotton ball from actually touching any cigars.

When I travel I use a zip lock baggie and the humidor disk if I am on the road more than a few days. Easy peezy.

For quick road trips, I have one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/personal-items-cigar-caddy-travel-humidor-2.shtml?

AMR

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You don't want your expensive cigars going bad and the humidipak is the safest way to keep them fresh.

Those both look great. Do you know how they work? (I'm guessing the same way larger versions work, but it seems difficult to do in such a small package.)

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Good call on the humidpak, I really did not think of that. I have been using that old tupperware one with a creedo tube for years when I travel, works pretty good too.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was actually wondering. That's great news indeed. What would you say is the main difference...flavor? Smoothness?
I would say the depth of flavor is the main difference. The Anniversario's tobacco is aged for at least five years so that tobacco tends to be maxed out in the flavor department, while the regular Padron is awesome it doesn't have that super deep creamy flavor that sticks with you for a couple days.

The regular Padron I had actually burned better than either Anniversario I have tried with a perfect white ash. But... the Anniversario still reigns supreme when it comes to smooth, chocolaty, creamy flavor.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Those both look great. Do you know how they work? (I'm guessing the same way larger versions work, but it seems difficult to do in such a small package.)
The Humidipak is completely safe.

First off... the humidipak can touch the cigars without harming them in any way. AND... not only does the Humidipak emit humidity it also adsorbs extra humidity therefore keeping your cigars at the perfect RH without tons of hassle and worry.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
RM's suggestion to use the cedar dividers that come with many cigar boxes is one suggestion I would make.

You can store them in a nice zip-lock bag as well. Get yourself a few of these humidor discs and place one in the bag. While waiting for them to arrive, just soak a cotton ball in distilled water, squeeze the excess out (one quick squeeze only) and place that in the bag with the cigars...keeping the cotton ball from actually touching any cigars.

When I travel I use a zip lock baggie and the humidor disk if I am on the road more than a few days. Easy peezy.

For quick road trips, I have one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/personal-items-cigar-caddy-travel-humidor-2.shtml?

AMR

Great tips, all, thank you. :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you never have more than 15 cigars on hand you will never need to buy anything other than a travel humidor and a humidipak.

(each Humidipak lasts about 2 months)