The cigar lounge

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
i wonder if Cuban cigars will be legal and available in the US or if they can be brought back when travel opens up - has anyone heard details about Cuba ?
Quite a ways off before this will happen. Obama's trade plan includes a provision allowing for $100 of tobacco products to be brought back to the US by "licensed" travelers.

Pre-embargo cigars can be had for ridiculous prices. Last pre-embargo I smoked ran me about $125 and was not a good smoke. Bought it at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco about ten years ago. They had a cigar smoke shop in the hotel...a small room with a fancy air filtration system. Don't know if that still exists given all the anti-smoking laws within California.

I have smoked some Cubans legally in other countries when I was a world traveler. None of them, except a Montecristo No. 2 I smoked in Barcelona, met my expectations.

Not all Cuban cigars are better than some of the better cigars available in the US, e.g., Padron's anniversary sticks.

AMR

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Godfather is bourbon and Amaretto cocktail. It is vastly superior with Knob Creek, compared to say....Jim Beam.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Larceny%201875%20Reserve.JPG

I might wait until Friday, just because.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have smoked some Cubans legally in other countries when I was a world traveler. None of them, except a Montecristo No. 2 I smoked in Barcelona, met my expectations.

AMR

I'm too much of a blunt instrument to have an expectation. But I can say that a "red dot" Cohiba sourced in the US is a better smoke than all the ones I had in Mexico and other places. Other places often being dry and the humidors are not kept properly. Same with nearly everything I smoked(tobacco only) away from home. The worst cigar I ever smoked was not stored correctly but I smoked it anyway, ruining my opinion of Davidoff. Even though it isn't likely their fault.

Larceny has a really good aroma. The aroma is kind of sweet. Going down is a mixture and I am not good at identifying mixed things. But it is good. I like it.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm too much of a blunt instrument to have an expectation. But I can say that a "red dot" Cohiba sourced in the US is a better smoke than all the ones I had in Mexico and other places. Other places often being dry and the humidors are not kept properly. Same with nearly everything I smoked(tobacco only) away from home. The worst cigar I ever smoked was not stored correctly but I smoked it anyway, ruining my opinion of Davidoff. Even though it isn't likely their fault.

Larceny has a really good aroma. The aroma is kind of sweet. Going down is a mixture and I am not good at identifying mixed things. But it is good. I like it.
I really like the red dot Cohibas, too. I am just too cheap nowadays to smoke them regularly, so I have to settle for these: JR Cuban Equivalent Montecristo. They are hit and miss. Sometimes I get a package too dried out or with terrible draws. Other times, they are just right.

I am not a special occasion cigar smoker, as I am smoking four to six a day in the cool winter days and summer nights of Arizona. Hence, a sacrifice of quality for quantity. And I do inhale. ;)

That said, I keep some Macanudo Maduros around for rewarding myself.

To enhance the experience, it is sometimes Single Barrel Jack or, most often, Canadian Club/Seagram's 7 mixed with Ocean Spray Cranapple juice.

AMR

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I really like the red dot Cohibas, too. I am just too cheap nowadays to smoke them regularly, so I have to settle for these: JR Cuban Equivalent Montecristo. They are hit and miss. Sometimes I get a package too dried out or with terrible draws. Other times, they are just right.

I appreciate your input on this. I usually put my sticks in the humidor and they stay there for a while, just in case.

I am not a special occasion cigar smoker, as I am smoking four to six a day in the cool winter days and summer nights of Arizona. Hence, a sacrifice of quality for quantity. And I do inhale. ;)

I would smoke every day if that jackwagon was not our President who is going out of his way to wreck this economy.

Last night I introduced Mrs M to another cocktail and tonight I changed the bourbon to Larceny without telling her from her crappy Jim Beam. She noticed right away and approves. But hey, if she wants a bottle that only costs 12.99, fine by me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Godfather is bourbon and Amaretto cocktail. It is vastly superior with Knob Creek, compared to say....Jim Beam.

I read recently it is supposed to be Scotch whiskey. Oh well.

Tonight I picked up Alberta Rye Whiskey. I always drink something straight first. I like it. It is a blended whiskey, as most are. The single barrel stuff pricing is getting out of hand. I will be making a Manhattan with it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Terrible news for cigar smokers.

The FDA has decided to regulate all tobacco products and lumped premium cigars in with everything else.

Some of the regulations are a pain but are survivable such as....

- No free samples
- 20% of all marketing needs to be a warning label

Yet one of the provisions is a death nail to the industry

- All cigars released after 2007 will need full FDA approval. Even individual approval for different sizes of the same cigar will be required. This approval process could cost at least $250,000 and take 4 or more years to complete. As you can imagine this will destroy about 75% of the premium hand-made cigar industry.

We need your help. Please sign this petition. We need 100,000 signatures by June 10th to get the attention of the White House and ask them to exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation.

View attachment 24259

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just remembered I have a bottle of Templeton Rye. Manhattans for me tonight.