Observations Great and Small

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
At the local dollar store, they are selling a string of LED lights with large plastic colored covers on them resembling the old-time Christmas bulbs from when we were kids. And they are really beautiful! And very bright.

I bought a string to put up in the house just for the colors (no tree) and I had to go back and get another (they are a little expensive at $7 a string). Now I might have to go get a small fake tree to put them on. Then you know what will happen, I'll see that the tree needs ornaments … and the insanity begins.

Or perhaps it already has. :)

You'd like mine. I didn't even try to border the windows. I just draped them across the whole pane so that from the outside the windows are a rectangle of colored lights, at night. From the inside I don't really see them because they're behind the blinds and drapes. I just plug them it at five and unplug them at eleven.

I'm sure I'd like yours. They must look really cheerful. :) I like the small lights and the larger old-fashioned bulbs both, they each bring something special. You should open your drapes at night so you can see them too.

And let me know how your tree turns out. Some insanity is good. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm sure I'd like yours. They must look really cheerful. :) I like the small lights and the larger old-fashioned bulbs both, they each bring something special. You should open your drapes at night so you can see them too.

And let me know how your tree turns out. Some insanity is good. :)

I don't know, anna, but I think those old lights are filled with mercury and alcohol. :think: So whatever you do don't drop one or leave them plugged in for long.

Well, that's what I heard. :plain:

bybee

You'd like mine. I didn't even try to border the windows. I just draped them across the whole pane so that from the outside the windows are a rectangle of colored lights, at night. From the inside I don't really see them because they're behind the blinds and drapes. I just plug them it at five and unplug them at eleven.

Merry Christmas Dearie!

musterion

Prince Edward Island, one of Canada's Maritime Provinces, is a leading producer and exporter of potatoes.

The festival is hosted by the community of O'Leary, PEI which also boasts the PEI Potato Museum!

pei-potato-museum.jpg

That's a big tater.

Lon

Is anyone going to do the 12 days of Christmas this year? :idunno:
Not to be overtly confused with the song, or to be constrained by it!

I have never observed it. Is there a simple way to start, perhaps a guide? (Btw, I'd suggest that as probably a great Christmas book for author's among us. We Christians are always looking for ways to keep Jesus as the Reason for the Season, in ways that keep Him fresh on our minds, actions, and hearts).

I'd also like to hear of any past special observance of one or more of those days. (I've celebrated elements without observation of the days).

Good topic, probably even a cool-yule thread of its own. :up:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Taught Jack the 12 Days of Christmas the other day. He's really, really good at "five golden rings". :eek:

We have another tradition at my house on Christmas eve. We open one present, usually in an exchange with family members. I told Jack about that and he's very excited about picking, is wondering if he should go for the biggest one he can see or not.

This is easily the most fun I've had around the holiday. His anticipation of it makes everything better. Reminds me of the scene from Dickens with the milk of human kindness...which reminds me of another tradition we maintain during the final week of Christmas, movies.

Typically, we save The Little Drummer Boy for Christmas eve, just before bedtime. It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, The Bishop's Wife and, of course, A Christmas Carol (1938 version), are right before it. Others we work in, some making one year and not the next, but part of the thing on and off.

Favorite movies to watch during the season include: Rudolph, the cartoon version of The Grinch, the Peanuts Christmas, Scrooged, Die Hard, The Ref, Meet John Doe, The Santa Clause, We're No Angels, Trading Places. :)

Reactions: Lon

bybee

Taught Jack the 12 Days of Christmas the other day. He's really, really good at "five golden rings". :eek:

We have another tradition at my house on Christmas eve. We open one present, usually in an exchange with family members. I told Jack about that and he's very excited about picking, is wondering if he should go for the biggest one he can see or not.

This is easily the most fun I've had around the holiday. His anticipation of it makes everything better. Reminds me of the scene from Dickens with the milk of human kindness...which reminds me of another tradition we maintain during the final week of Christmas, movies.

Typically, we save The Little Drummer Boy for Christmas eve, just before bedtime. It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, The Bishop's Wife and, of course, A Christmas Carol (1938 version), are right before it. Others we work in, some making one year and not the next, but part of the thing on and off.

Favorite movies to watch during the season include: Rudolph, the cartoon version of The Grinch, the Peanuts Christmas, Scrooged, Die Hard, The Ref, Meet John Doe, The Santa Clause, We're No Angels, Trading Places. :)

"We're No Angels"! I love that movie!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I just watched "It happened on 5th Avenue" for the first time this year. Loved it, though not exactly Christmas, but takes place during. Some very funny situation comedy.
That's a good one. I've seen it a couple of times on TCM. TCM is the only thing I miss about cutting Dish/Directv out of our lives. Hopefully they'll offer a stand-alone service at some point.

"We're No Angels"! I love that movie!
:thumb: Saw it as a kid and was really taken with the leads. Especially Bogart and Ustinov. :)
It pops up from time to time. I wouldn't mind owning it.

Lon

That's a good one. I've seen it a couple of times on TCM. TCM is the only thing I miss about cutting Dish/Directv out of our lives. Hopefully they'll offer a stand-alone service at some point.
That, or go over to half.com and buy them. For us, it is cheaper to buy what we really like.

I have a few Jack Benny movies and shows but really enjoy the Christmas one with him buying a watch from Mel Blanc, incredibly funny and Jack Benny in a rare moment cracks up at Mel Blanc's great funny acting.

We also have an I Love Lucy Christmas video (would like to own the colorized version that came out last year because the kids won't watch black and white :( ). We also have The Beverly Hillbillies Christmas DVD as well. My favorite version of Scrooge is the one with George C. Scott.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
My dad goes to the library everyday, reads free national newspapers and checks out old movies. He's 65 and he's been doing this for about 5 years.