Observations Great and Small

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
no
there is no such thing as a democrat
Do you put butter and salt on your feet before you go off on one of these?

there are only
feminists who want women to be able to kill their baby
Some women believe they should be completely in control of what goes on in their bodies. Mostly they're right, but not entirely and here the tragedy is in the inability of those (men and women) who cannot see any other right or recognize the life and right impacted by that narcissistic blindness.

They aren't necessarily feminists, however. And I'd argue they're poor ones where they lay claim to the title, but it's a long discussion and not fit for twenty ten questions declarations.

unionists who want to protect their jobs
teachers who want to protect their jobs
cops who want to protect their jobs
Who doesn't want to protect their work? The notion that unions are inherently evil is as mistaken as the notion that the market is inherently virtuous. The rest is negotiation...and to manage that you need two sides with enough power to bring the other to the table.

blacks who want some kind of help but not jobs
Well, that's racist...or ignorant, but either way it's not much of a recruiting tool, though it might qualify users.

some who want to protect rats, etc
Well, everyone loves their own congressman.

some who want to protect their rights to your land
:plain:

some who don't want you to shop at walmart
etc. etc. etc.
Small, local businesses are now firmly democratic? :shocked:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
More of an example why some just shouldn't speak. :plain:

just because you choose to distort what chrys has to say in order to ridicule it (and him) doesn't mean his viewpoint lacks value

for example:

chrys said:
blacks who want some kind of help but not jobs
you said:
Well, that's racist...or ignorant, but either way it's not much of a recruiting tool, though you may qualify if you keep it up.

chrys didn't say all blacks

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
just because you choose to distort what chrys has to say in order to ridicule it doesn't mean it doesn't have value
I think chrys mostly distorts chrys enough. I was only highlighting.

chrys didn't say all blacks
I never say he did.

I think it was interesting that the only racial group he profiled negatively was black. And I did say it was either racist or ignorant.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When we made the first move I noted a few threads offline putting together this or that for the numbers thread. Found it in one of my misc. files today and thought I'd keep one of them here. Seems appropriate.

The last recorded time I'd checked the old thread:

Observations Great and Small
Last post: 1/31, 2013 12:40 AM
Total posts: 3,033
Views: 243,091

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So Whoopi Goldberg made one of those not entirely serious "If he wins I'll look for another country" comments about the possibility of a Trump victory and a lot of people began tearing their smoking jackets over it...for my part, I say if we started penalizing public figures for hyperbole Congress would be emptied in a fortnight. I like the crazy, disparate voices you get from America. If we ever lose that, from Limbaugh to Goldberg, the landscape will have lost a good bit of what makes it interesting, and occasionally dangerous.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looked at the wayback machine site and found the first post in the old thread by this name. :) Don't know if any more of it is in there, likely not, but still.

Observations Great and Small - February 5th, 2008, 11:25 PM

I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where the miscellaneous observations of life could be made without worrying about hijacking a thread, since hijacking would be the entire point in the first place. I intend to post every few days or so and encourage anyone with an odd gripe or idea to feel free to throw it into the mix without concern.

Starting things off: A Potential Solution for Old, Slow Drivers.

Anyone who drives more than fifteen miles below the posted speed limit should be required by law to throw candy and wave. That way at least those of us trapped behind them would feel like we were a part of something meaningful...

At least that's my idea.

Next.

After a while the thread found its feet and habits, picked up steam (and a few trolls). Forum life.

musterion

Anyone see how Will Smith complained it's tough to be black in Hollywood?

Look up a photo of his house. House is not nearly the right word.

So tough. *sniff*

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Anyone see how Will Smith complained it's tough to be black in Hollywood?
No. You should post the quote and a link. What did he literally say?

Did a google and I came up with a site that said he and Jada were boycotting the Oscars because it's hard being black in Hollywood. It had a photo of their house, too, but no quote.

I did find this on brainyquotes: "I love being black in America, and especially being black in Hollywood." Will Smith

The only thing that I saw on topic of late was this:

"When I see this list and series of nominations that come out—and everybody is fantastic and that’s the complexity of this issue, everyone is beautiful and deserving and it’s fantastic—but it feels like it’s going the wrong direction.

The nominations reflect the Academy. The Academy reflects the industry [Hollywood] and then the industry reflects America. There is a regressive slide towards separatism, towards racial and religious disharmony and that’s not the Hollywood that I want to leave behind. That’s not the industry, that’s not the America I want to leave behind.”

I'm interested in your quote though. What is it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He said he resents being black and he's mad at God and the world. He said he has tried really hard to be white-like all his life and he deserves the white man's rewards. :shocked:
That would be some quote. Somehow I don't think must is going to produce the quote. But if he does, if it exists instead of the sort of thing I noted when I looked for it, then it's worth talking about.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Haven't been back in here since I went forward with Quixote's again...bu this seems like a good place to try commentary of a more direct sort.

Scalia is dead and the political nonsense is already well under way.

Mitch and now Ted Cruz have declared that the Senate should delay and keep the President from doing his Constitutionally appointed task of nominating a replacement for the empty seat on the Court. Forget the Reagan precedent for not turning this into a partisan political bit of hackery.

Cruz declared, "Let the election decide. If the Democrats want to replace [Scalia], they need to win the election."

Which sounds great, until you realize they already did and the man in the office empowered to make the selection was the end result. As with Reagan, who appointed Justice Kennedy within his last year without people crying for a delay.

Let the people decide, says Cruz.

“The American people‎ should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice," said Mitch McConnell.

The people...he means (sound of dice rolling) his kind of people. Well, maybe he's loading those dice without realizing it.

Should be an interesting pot.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Are they both strict constitutionalists?
Cruz would be a yes (link).

"People are entitled to their own opinions about what the definition ought to be. But the kind of judge Cruz says he admires and would appoint to the Supreme Court is an “originalist,” one who claims to be bound by the narrowly historical meaning of the Constitution’s terms at the time of their adoption."​

I believe McConnell is of a likened mind. I'll have to find the definitive though.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Cruz would be a yes (link).

"People are entitled to their own opinions about what the definition ought to be. But the kind of judge Cruz says he admires and would appoint to the Supreme Court is an “originalist,” one who claims to be bound by the narrowly historical meaning of the Constitution’s terms at the time of their adoption."​

I believe McConnell is of a likened mind. I'll have to find the definitive though.

From the link:

At least he was consistent in those days. Now, he seems to be a fair weather originalist, abandoning that method’s narrow constraints when it suits his ambition.

Would an originalist say something like "let the election decide," in reference to Supreme Court nominees? It seems to me that his spirit of the law and letter of the law are at odds.