Is death just another life?

glorydaz

yes, your dead spirit can respond to the Holy Spirits call and be made alive by the Holy Spirit
Oh wait. I liked your dead but still functioning answer better, except it doesn't really make sense. That is why I say dead in trespasses in sins in NOT talking about being spiritually dead, but being Condemned to death for our sins.

Mat 8:22 And Jesus said to him, “Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead.”
But Jesus was talking about the man's dead (physically) father. So, again, I'm missing the connection.

way 2 go

Oh wait. I liked your dead but still functioning answer better, except it doesn't really make sense. That is why I say dead in trespasses in sins in NOT talking about being spiritually dead, but being Condemned to death for our sins.
we were dead in trespasses in sins , that is spiritually dead , everyone will still physically die.

Eph_2:1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins
Ah, so how do you see that our spirit was dead but still functioning?
But Jesus was talking about the man's dead (physically) father. So, again, I'm missing the connection.
if we use this verse as an analogy
Mat 8:22 And Jesus said to him, “Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead.”

the once spiritually dead but now spiritually alive disciple
is being told to let the still spiritually dead bury the physically dead

way 2 go

Ah, so how do you see that our spirit was dead but still functioning?
just because something is dead doesn't mean it doesn't exist
and people still function even tho the bible refers to them as dead
if they were dead physically they would not be standing before the throne.

Rev_20:12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done.

the physically dead can't bury the physically dead
but the spiritually dead can bury the physically dead

As much as I love you, way 2 go, that seems like sort of a non-answer.
I don't understand how you don't understand your spirit will continue existing after your body dies .
absent from the body means your spirit leaves your body and you will still exist as a spirit until your body is resurrected

2Co 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Derf

just because something is dead doesn't mean it doesn't exist
Then “I am” doesn’t really mean, “the God who lives.” It could be some dead god.

Once more you’ve shown how confused we all get by talking about dead people who still do stuff while being dead.

Yet, there are numerous ways, as offered by several in this thread, to make sense of the term “dead” that applies to a future state, or a state of condemnation, like the movie “Dead Man Walking”.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
...your spirit will continue existing after your body dies .
absent from the body means your spirit leaves your body and you will still exist as a spirit until your body is resurrected

2Co 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
Of course, that's why we can pray to the saints in heaven. It's why " we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses " (Hebrews 12:1)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Of course, that's why we can pray to the saints in heaven. It's why " we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses " (Hebrews 12:1)

Get out of here with your Catholic nonsense.

There is one (I repeat, ONE (1)) mediator between God and man, the Man Christ Jesus.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Then “I am” doesn’t really mean, “the God who lives.”

Who said it did?

If anything, it means "The God who Self-Exists."

Other things given in scripture show God who exists as "the living God."

It could be some dead god.

Not.

Once more you’ve shown how confused we all get by talking about dead people who still do stuff while being dead.

The only one who's confused is you, because when you try to make the rational sound irrational, you're guaranteed to become confused.

Yet, there are numerous ways, as offered by several in this thread, to make sense of the term “dead” that applies to a future state, or a state of condemnation, like the movie “Dead Man Walking”.

Which doesn't change the fact that "dead man walking" is an excellent way to describe an unbeliever prior to their physical death.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Do you still agree with this:

Here’s “day” used in Gen 2:
Genesis 2:4 (KJV) These [are] the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Is that use of “day” 24 hours?
Asked and answered.

One more itteration of this will land you on my ignore list.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
That's the exact opposite of being spiritually dead. For he that is (spiritually) dead is freed from sin?

That only proves what I'm saying. The "spirit of wisdom and revelation" is not the Holy Spirit.

And, yes the souls under the altar. What's the point you're trying to make here?
Where are that actual arguments you make?

All I see here is one bald personal opinion after another.

Derf

Which doesn't change the fact that "dead man walking" is an excellent way to describe an unbeliever prior to their physical death.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say! The death hasn't happened yet, but it is assured. I]m glad we've come to agreement on this!

Derf

Go back and look for it, Derf. Don't be lazy.

And if you can't find the answer where it's supposed to be, point it out.
I already did that. I posted what I thought was his answer, and something that contradicted it. So it needed clarification, which I asked for, here (note that I included the post where I thought he almost, sort of answered it):

Here's a picture of it, which seems different from the snippet the link shows, though the link works to get there (is that a problem a mod needs to look at?):
Back and forth with Clete.jpg
He responded with this:
Asked and answered.
So, despite the fact that I am sometimes lazy, I think I've done due diligence here.
One more itteration of this will land you on my ignore list.
I can't say that I'm disappointed.

way 2 go

And the answer was?

Yes, of course I do. I've never denied the existence of figures of speech.

way 2 go

The Hebraicism shown in what I mistakenly called a footnote when it's a margin note, shows that this is an instance of a figurative day. I am living proof of this.

For in dying I shall die. I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure a few years ago and I asked at that time how long I had to live as congestive heart failure is a death sentence. The doctor that diagnosed my death sentence told me he didn't know. It might be anywhere between 2 years and 20 years from then.

My mom died of it 10 years after her diagnosis. She was given 3 months to live and told to just go home and lie down on the couch and die. She got mad at that and ended up living as long as she did through exercise and dietary changes. But in dying she died.

My time in dying is running out. I now have to take 2 naps morning and afternoon because my heart doesn't work well enough to give me the energy I need. My day of death is rapidly approaching but the day of my death sentence was years ago.

This, in principle, is what happened to both Adam and Eve. They were kicked out of the Garden for their sin and denied further access to the Tree of Life thus ensuring their death. But Adam lived almost a thousand years after his death sentence was given for in dying by being deprived of the Tree of Life he died. Sin is as sure a death sentence as is congestive heart failure but we are given time to repent for our sins for in dying we shall die.
sorry to hear that .

way 2 go

Then “I am” doesn’t really mean, “the God who lives.” It could be some dead god.
to quote JR :If anything, it means "The God who Self-Exists."
our position is in total agreement with the bible , your position has you burying people alive and eating taking 930 years
and unable to deal with Samuel at all and temporary bodily resurrection with God putting them death after.

seems Derf that you are confused, you just don't know it.
we are all going to physically die

but from your position you have to twist this verse , we simply understand it as spiritual death
Rom_7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

way 2 go

yes the Saints still exist ,but praying to them ,no .
why would you when you can and should only pray to God ?

1Ti_2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

glorydaz

we were dead in trespasses in sins , that is spiritually dead , everyone will still physically die.

Eph_2:1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins

But you said, "yes, your dead spirit can respond to the Holy Spirits call and be made alive by the Holy Spirit"

If our "dead spirit" can respond, then it isn't really dead, is it?
This is the point I'm trying to make.
if we use this verse as an analogy

the once spiritually dead but now spiritually alive disciple
is being told to let the still spiritually dead bury the physically dead
I understand the verse, but it does not say anyone is "spiritually dead".

Because someone is under the condemnation of sin and death, it does not mean that their spirit is DEAD.