How Protestants got sucked into the Rapture

Danoh

The rapture myth came about from a word of prophecy given by a Scottish woman named Margaret MacDonald. It was a spiritual word, to be spiritually understood, but was taken by a man who heard it, into the natural understanding, spread about for him to prosper by and gain materially from....

Boy are you off. I read what remains of her letters.

First off, she was a kid - fifteen years old - not a woman.

And hers was a case of the following, made obvious by her writing:

She appears to have been a simple girl who greatly loved the Lord and His Word in her understanding of that.

Much like, say, GT, here on TOL, through much exposure to unsound Bible teaching in which a lot of verses were taught, she came to know, both, a lot of Bible, but from an unsound perspective.

That, coupled with having gone a bit overboard in the practice of the fasting and self-deprivations that were espoused by her assembly, together also, with what had obviously been her fervent desire to hear from God, and what the mind can do with this kind of thing that even today, many ignorantly refer to as "the Spirit's leading..." resulted in delusions she interpreted as from God.

For a fifteen year old kid, she knew tons of passages, the poor soul.

Through which she interpreted her "vision."

And hers was the Post-Trib view popular in her day. She never did espouse a Pre-Trib Rapture.

Now, here's the thing - Darby was a Cessasionist. MacDonald's rants would not have influenced him in the same way it did her and her group, anymore than it would influence today's A9D aka MAD which is also Cessasionist.

NEXT!!!

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
AMEN. It's the lazy man's doctrine and it started in 1830. Peace

Yep....

Ezekiel 13:10 KJV

10 Because, even because they have seduced my people, saying , Peace; and there was no peace; and one built up a wall, and, lo, others daubed it with untempered morter:

Ezekiel 13:11 KJV

11 Say unto them which daub it with untempered morter, that it shall fall : there shall be an overflowing shower; and ye, O great hailstones , shall fall ; and a stormy wind shall rend it.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic

She appears to have been a simple girl who greatly loved the Lord and His Word in her understanding of that.

Much like, say, GT, here on TOL, through much exposure to unsound Bible teaching in which a lot of verses were taught, she came to know, both, a lot of Bible, but from an unsound perspective.

That, coupled with having gone a bit overboard in the practice of the fasting and self-deprivations that were espoused by her assembly, together also, with what had obviously been her fervent desire to hear from God, and what the mind can do with this kind of thing that even today, many ignorantly refer to as "the Spirit's leading..." resulted in delusions she interpreted as from God.

And hers was the Post-Trib view popular in her day. She never did espouse a Pre-Trib Rapture.

Now, here's the thing - Darby was a Cessasionist. MacDonald's rants would not have influenced him in the same way it did her and her group, anymore than it would influence today's A9D aka MAD which is also Cessasionist.

NEXT!!!

It is post trib, just not how you think.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

NEXT!!!

This! :thumb:

Cruciform

Oops' look at this:
Oops! A non-Catholic source that fails to recognize that individual theologians do not constitute---nor speak for---"the Catholic Church" in any official capacity whatsoever. Try again.

My statements in Post #32 therefore stand exactly as made.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

RBBI

NEXT!!!

In her time period, those "girls" were probably getting married and having children, since the life expectancy was much lower then. Be that as it may, I don't know and don't care what half of those man-made doctrinal labels mean. They are not in the Word and therefore are of no interest.

But let's talk what IS in the Word. For instance, tribulation comes from a Greek word for a threshing instrument called a tribulum, used to take the chaff off the wheat/Seed. Circumcising the heart is the principle being revealed in this word, ie. removing the flesh from off the Spirit within so that He might be seen.

Again, the rapture is a LIE, shown to us clearly in Matt. 13 where the parable of the wheat and the tares is explained AGAIN, after He sent the MULTITUDE away, because they only care about their own needs, ie. fishes and loaves.

If you will notice the good seed (Christ) is planted in a field called the "world". Christ IN YOU, the hope of glory tells us where and what that field is in the world. Then we are told that the tares were planted there while he slept. You can try all you want, but you cannot find where HaShem woke Adam up after putting him to sleep, UNTIL Christ comes as prophesied by Isaiah, Arise and shake off the dust, thy light is come.

Those tares are removed by angels (messages, messengers), thrown into the fire (of the HG) and THAT is the end of the world, let him who have an ear, let him hear, meaning it's a MYSTERY, not obvious to the carnally driven mind that only cares about saving it's own skin. And amazingly enough, if you look up the Hebrew word for ANKLE, it runs into a meaning of, THE END OF THE WORLD. Go figure.

Further; the single verse used to support flying away, needs to be dissected also. Like clouds, for instance. Clouds are the smallest particle of something, DUST and water vapor, Adam was taken from the dust of the earth. Men are called clouds without water (no Spirit guiding them) in Jude. We are told that a prophet like unto Moses would be raised up; well, Moses was told to meet Him in the cloud, the cloud being the cloud of incense which we are told represent the prayers of the saints.

Clouds of incense ASCEND. Prayers ASCEND. Flesh DOES NOT ASCEND, except in one way. Make of yourselves a LIVING SACRIFICE, tied down with cords of love that cannot be broken. Those saints under the altar in Revelation? They got there only one way, and that is through the grate on top of it, consumed by fire, until the offering makes a sweet smelling savor unto the Lord.

You want your rapture? There it is, and it's not for the fearful and unbelieving willing to let their brethren face all the destruction they imagine while they sail away. Peace

Interplanner

Nazaroo,
can you provide a source. My research didn't quite end up that way. There was a deflection of accusation of the Pope, but Ribera's solution was to scheme a set of events in Israel, future, and a Jewish antichrist. I don't think he mentioned the 2 stage 2nd coming at all--the rapture.

In the case of the Brethren and the timing of the renewed interest in the rapture, they were in a climate that was really weary of the friction between Protestant and Catholic. So Ribera's scheme (or rehashing it) seemed just the thing. Enter Miss MacDonald. What more innocent way to try to make 2P2P work? God would just be bouncing back and forth between Israel and the church and each would get the attention it needed, and the Pope would not be the AC. Win-win-win.

daqq

The same as Jesus and the other apostles taught revelations from the OT scriptures so did the apostle Paul. The above verse reference spoken by Paul was another "we speak things in a mystery" and is a NT version of the following OT verse, and from when David took Zion where he set up the tabernacle of David that was a simple tent pitched over the Ark of the Covenant only.

Isaiah 4:5 And the Lord will create upon every dwelling place of mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for upon all the glory shall be a defense.

When David took Zion they went up the water shafts where buckets were lowered the same as in a well to lift water up from the pool below that supplied water to Zion in times of sieges . It makes sense that one agile soldier scaled the passage way and then the rest were "caught up" in the buckets lowered down to them

God has always appeared unto man from clouds and smoke from the time of the cloud by day and fire by night in the wilderness to the time of the clouds and fire upon Mt Sinai to the all important clouds of smoke coming from the golden alter of incense that Revelation teaches us represents the prayers of the saints.

Zion represents a higher level of worship and is where God has promised to return His power to and rule from within His Saints coming from the clouds where the tabernacle of David was serviced by 24 High Priests (two from each tribe) and are the 24 elders before the throne.

Those waiting for the church to be physically removed from the earth are only doing so because they have not learned how to become masters of the scriptures through rightly dividing the Word in accordance to all of the laws for determining the truth.

2 Timothy 2:5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully

One of these laws is no single witness may be used to determine the truth that in NT words says no prophecy may be from "private interpretation". Unfortunately, despite this warning not to do so, is exactly what rapture believers have done with using one verse (2Thess.4:17) to determine a prophecy and then try bend a few more verses in the wrong direction in a pitiful attempt to add support.

It is sad to see so many persons being put at a disadvantage by the enemy through falling for a lie all because of a faulty and unlawful manner of dividing the Word. As God said you will perish because of your lack of knowledge all because you have forgotten the law.......... therefore you will be no priest unto him (one of the 24 elders around the throne)

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Nice post :)

Exodus 33:4-6
4. And when the people heard these evil tidings, they mourned: and no man did put his headgear upon himself.
5. For YHWH said unto Moshe, Say unto the sons of Yisrael, You are a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of you in one wink of an eye and consume you! Now therefore put off your headgear from you; and I know what I will do unto you.
6. And the sons of Yisrael snatched off their headgear from mount Horeb.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Nice post :)

Exodus 33:4-6
4. And when the people heard these evil tidings, they mourned: and no man did put his headgear upon himself.
5. For YHWH said unto Moshe, Say unto the sons of Yisrael, You are a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of you in one wink of an eye and consume you! Now therefore put off your headgear from you; and I know what I will do unto you.
6. And the sons of Yisrael snatched off their headgear from mount Horeb.

:salute:

Those not wearin' any didn't put it on.

Those wearin' some snatched it off like it was ketchin' their head on fire.

No rebels in that wink of an eye. :)

everready

Oops! A non-Catholic source that fails to recognize that individual theologians do not constitute---nor speak for---"the Catholic Church" in any official capacity whatsoever. Try again.

My statements in Post #32 therefore stand exactly as made.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

O.k. I'll try again.

Early Church Fathers on the Timing of the Rise of Antichrist.

http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/fathers-on-antichrist.htm

everready

OCTOBER23

CRUCIFIRM said,

Oops! The Catholic Church has never taught any thing, as anyone educated in Catholic theology knows well. Rather, here is what the Church teaches on that point...........

PEOPLE GO TO PURGATORY AND WAIT AND WAIT AND WAIT ........AND WAIT
----------------------------------------------------

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
The rapture myth came about from a word of prophecy given by a Scottish woman named Margaret MacDonald. It was a spiritual word, to be spiritually understood, but was taken by a man who heard it, into the natural understanding, spread about for him to prosper by and gain materially from.

A close reading of Matt. 13 the parable of the wheat and the tares destroys this myth, as does the understanding of what being born from above (not born again) really is.

Then there is Noah, in whose day only the wicked left the earth; the righteous were raised up above the judgment in the Ark. HE is the Ark of the covenant we are to get into. No one is going to fly away; it's a doctrine whose roots are fear and selfishness. Peace

backfire for Danoh

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The word 'rapture' is a Latin derived word from the Latin Vulgate Bible, which uses the word to translate the Greek word 'harpazo' which is translated in the English, 'caught up' in 1Thess 4:17.

To say the word 'rapture' is not in the Bible is to say it's not in the English Bibles, but the concept is there and communicated by different words, 'caught up'.

Many quibble about the word 'rapture', all the while ignoring or denying what the Scripture says about believers being 'caught up' to meet the Lord in the air.

The Lord Himself will descend from heaven to gather His own unto Himself.

Too bad, professing Christians don't believe what is plainly said about this.

I've said many times before, "I can understand why believers argue about the timing of the rapture, but I can't, for the life of me, understand why they deny the fact of the rapture".

Danoh

The word 'rapture' is a Latin derived word from the Latin Vulgate Bible, which uses the word to translate the Greek word 'harpazo' which is translated in the English, 'caught up' in 1Thess 4:17.

To say the word 'rapture' is not in the Bible is to say it's not in the English Bibles, but the concept is there and communicated by different words, 'caught up'.

Many quibble about the word 'rapture', all the while ignoring or denying what the Scripture says about believers being 'caught up' to meet the Lord in the air.

The Lord Himself will descend from heaven to gather His own unto Himself.

Too bad, professing Christians don't believe what is plainly said about this.

I've said many times before, "I can understand why believers argue about the timing of the rapture, but I can't, for the life of me, understand why they deny the fact of the rapture".

It doesn't fit what they see as they look out at things from where they have learned to look at things from.

All issues basically boil down to that.

Lol - only two kinds of people in the world; those who say there are only two kinds of people in the world, and those who say there are not.