Forgiving others

Forgiving others

• ...only when they acknowledge their sin against you.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TestedandTried

I don't entirely agree with your statement as I understand it for Jesus was forgiving the world and offering them salvation...which requires repentance. Stephen forgave as he exited this world oh so sadly making a public pronouncement for all those standing by...those who repented could find relief in the knowledge of Stephen's forgiveness and turn to Christ with this confidence...Stephen knew of Christ's righteous requirements. Matthew 6:14 is again to my mind a statement of holding out forgiveness where forgiveness is due. God is loving and merciful and He is a righteous, holy Judge as well. He sets up these requirements (including repentance) to hold us accountable before Him...it is not to be ignored.
We could go on, but often an offender is not so much in the wrong with us as with Christ and we always hold out hope and forgiveness in our hearts with eager expectation of repentance.
Thank you sincerely for the welcome; good to be here!

God's Truth

I don't entirely agree with your statement as I understand it for Jesus was forgiving the world and offering them salvation...which requires repentance.

That is grace, but one does not enter that grace unless one does what Jesus says to do. It does sound as if we agree, so I am not sure where any misunderstanding is coming from except that you said a person has to repent and Jesus does say we have to repent but he also warns about forgiving others or God won't forgive you. If a person is saved and yet someone sins against them but that person does not forgive, then they will be punished in the wrath until they do repent.

Stephen forgave as he exited this world oh so sadly making a public pronouncement for all those standing by...those who repented could find relief in the knowledge of Stephen's forgiveness and turn to Christ with this confidence...

It definitely does not mean the person who is forgiven will feel anything for it.

Stephen knew of Christ's righteous requirements. Matthew 6:14 is again to my mind a statement of holding out forgiveness where forgiveness is due. God is loving and merciful and He is a righteous, holy Judge as well. He sets up these requirements (including repentance) to hold us accountable before Him...it is not to be ignored.
We could go on, but often an offender is not so much in the wrong with us as with Christ and we always hold out hope and forgiveness in our hearts with eager expectation of repentance.
Thanks again.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So are you talking about godly sorrow when you say "repentance"?

2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.​
If I understand what you're saying, yes.

TestedandTried

That's a stretch.

What do you mean...that is a Scriptural quote. Don't you try to win souls for Christ? In doing so don't you try to determine what there thinking is so as to pierce the veil of darkness for them (all with the help of Christ who gives us words to speak.)?

glorydaz

What do you mean...that is a Scriptural quote. Don't you try to win souls for Christ? In doing so don't you try to determine what there thinking is so as to pierce the veil of darkness for them (all with the help of Christ who gives us words to speak.)?

The verse you quoted has nothing to do with the subject at hand. It was a "stretch" to use that verse to support your opinion.... conflating preaching the Gospel with our forgiving others who "sin" against us.

glorydaz

More likely, the "offender" only offended the person's pride, and there is no reason to hold out hope or "expectation of repentance".

The easily offended live in their own little world. :alien:

TestedandTried

Not so if you read the paragraph. Dealing with unbelievers who sin against us winds up being a knowing where they are still at...they are veiled to the Truth until they turn to Christ. Therefore we rebuke or bring an offense to their attention in a way they'd understand and hopefully they repent, if not we know where they are coming from and hold onto hope for them. This is the becoming all things to all people Paul speaks of...part of it. I was trying to show the difference there from our dealings with believers.

TestedandTried

Isn't that what being in the wrong with Christ means? An offender may,but not always, be in the wrong with Christ due to pride or any number of things which would hinder their willingness to forgive.

Danoh

Isn't that what being in the wrong with Christ means? An offender may,but not always, be in the wrong with Christ due to pride or any number of things which would hinder their willingness to forgive.

You're absolutely right.

1 Corinthians 9:18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 9:23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you. 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

But you are dealing with a consistent hypocrisy, in her and some of her pals on TOL.

A few days ago, someone on here repeatedly posted to her having forgiven her, or some such. She repeatedly spit on them, and went on with her usual nonsense that they were just tooting their own horn.

She is simply that vain; ever accusing anyone but herself and her pals of being proud, and all her other repeated nonsense.

In contrast, when one of her pals on here posted he forgave me for who knows what, she high-fived him.

This is a pattern with her and various of her pals on here that many have repeatedly called them on to no avail.

The following comes to mind about her and some of her pals, despite their ever attempting to ram down other's throats that they alone "follow Paul" - only to not only repeatedly prove otherwise, but to spit on anyone who does not agree with them.

It is crystal clear obvious their actual God is their going by their own emotion based nonsense in the moment; and that their glory is in their shame; and their mind ever that of the pettiness of this world, as per the following, but verse 17.

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 3:18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 3:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Given this about her and her kind consistently, you'd best just view such through the lens of Romanse 5:6-8, and that much, from accross the street somewhere.

There is...no reasoning with such.

The Lord Himself failed miserably with their kind, in Matthew thru John.

Or as He had put that...

John 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

Again, all one can do when dealing with the double-standard of such ever one-sided condition based hypocrites is to allow it to remind us that each of us ourselves was also once not worthy of being forgiven either.

I mean, one might as well turn the would be lemons of the hypocrisy of such towards one into that ever cool, just right each time, hot summer's day sweet lemonade that can be focusing instead on the Cross to the Glory of God in His Son, as we look over at both such and ourselves through the lens that is..

Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

By this, we turn their fraud, their animosity, into His victory in us, over their obvious need to spit on anyone who they look down down their noses at.

Personally, I continue to find this aspect of it all - the victory in Christ that can be ours in the very moment others would rob of us it - I continue to find it an ever fascinating study of the dynamics of the Believer's life right in the very moment that life throws its various curve balls our way.

And you'll know you are experiencing it when the negative in life comes your way, but you find yourself feeling like the warrior in the movie calmly walking away, as all sorts of explosions are going off behind him somewhere.

All the result of a focus on how that...

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 5:4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

All because of what we chose to focus on instead, when some life and or fool attempted to rob us of...the victory that is already ours...in Christ.

Now THAT is one heck of an Inward Man Revival!

Amen! And Amen!

musterion

Ah, Danoh's knife of bitterness and discontent comes out once again, in every conversation , any context, without fail.

Guy: "Think it'll rain?"

Danoh: "Yes, but those hypocrites..."

Danoh

Ah, Danoh's knife of bitterness and discontent comes out once again, in every conversation , any context, without fail.

Guy: "Think it'll rain?"

Danoh: "Yes, but those hypocrites..."

Your pal was wrong...again. Plain and simple, and your twisting my calling her on it is not going to change that.

Which only shows your failure in your own thread...on "forgiveness."

I did say you had not seen where I was coming from.

Feel free to post that you forgive me. Her fake high-five is sure to follow.

Birds of a feather...

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Rom. 5:6-8.

God's Truth

Your pal was wrong...again. Plain and simple, and your twisting my calling her on it is not going to change that.

Which only shows your failure in your own thread...on "forgiveness."

I did say you had not seen where I was coming from.

Feel free to post that you forgive me. Her fake high-five is sure to follow.

Birds of a feather...

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

You are trying to help your brothers and sisters...but they don't respect you because they have seen that you are the same except a little less obvious.

Danoh

You are trying to help your brothers and sisters...but they don't respect you because they have seen that you are the same except a little less obvious.

I can appreciate your intent.

At the same time, even if you were right about me; none of us would still have an excuse for how CONDITIONALLY we carry on towards one another - the OP itself is a poll about UNCONDITIONAL forgiveness.

None of us have an excuse.

In fact, this thread is the perfect place to practice what is being preached on it.

By all concerned.

There is no room in that for picking and choosing who one likes, or not.

And each thread ends up a poll itself about what each person actually believes or holds to, regardless of what each person might claim otherwise.

Just a matter of taking a Third Position.

God's Truth

I can appreciate your intent.

At the same time, even if you were right about me; none of us would still have an excuse for how CONDITIONALLY we carry on towards one another - the OP itself is a poll about UNCONDITIONAL forgiveness.

None of us have an excuse.

In fact, this thread is the perfect place to practice what is being preached on it.

By all concerned.

There is no room in that for picking and choosing who one likes, or not.

And each thread ends up a poll itself about what each person actually believes or holds to, regardless of what each person might claim otherwise.

Just a matter of taking a Third Position.

You are missing the point.