ECT For those who believe God requires works to be or stay saved

andyc

Question:

What is their purpose? How do works figure in to you getting or staying justified, to the point that without works you will be lost? What is it exactly that your works do for you, or for God, or both?

Shame you couldn't ask Peter, James, and John.

Cross Reference

No, actually my question was completely legitimate.

Answering a question with a question is for little children.

Support this with scripture. Thanks.

Don't have to, "child". He did the job. You figure out how He could without fulfilling ALL the requirements like, fulfilling ALL the law as He even said He did. Do your own home work.

Cross Reference

"Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation."
John 5:28-29 (KJV)

Right Divider

Body part
Don't have to, "child". He did the job. You figure out how He could without fulfilling ALL the requirements like, fulfilling ALL the law as He even said He did. Do your own home work.
Go ahead, oh wise guru, and show us where the Bible says that Jesus Christ fulfilled the law IN OUR STEAD. That is the question I asked which you neither answered nor, apparently, understood.

Cross Reference

Go ahead, oh wise guru, and show us where the Bible says that Jesus Christ fulfilled the law IN OUR STEAD. That is the question I asked which you neither answered nor, apparently, understood.

"Do not think that I have come to do away with or undo the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to do away with or undo but to complete and fulfill them."
Matthew 5:17 (AMP)

Now go back to bed.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where does the Bible say that Christ "fulfilled all of the law of God IN OUR STEAD"?

Can our justification cannot come through the law? No. See Gal. 2:21; Acts 13:38-39.

Each and every one of us (Rom. 3:10-12, 19-20) has failed to do what God’s law requires of us (Gal. 3:10; 6:13; James 2:10 and forward).

What God requires, Christ provides. God mercifully has provided his Son as a twofold substitute for us. Both aspects of Christ’s substitution are crucial for our becoming right with God (justified).

These aspects are grounded in the twin facts that

(1) we have failed to keep God’s law perfectly, and so we should die; but,
(2) Jesus did not fail—he alone has kept God’s law perfectly (see Heb. 4:15) and so he should not have died.

Yet in his mercy God has provided in Christ a great substitution—a blessed exchange—according to which Jesus can stand in for us with God, offering his perfect righteousness in place of our failure and his own life’s blood in place of ours. Indeed, ours is an alien righteousness, that of another, Our Lord.

When we receive the mercy God offers us in Christ by faith (Acts 16:31; 1 Tim. 1:15-16; 1 Pet. 1:8-9), Christ's perfection is imputed—or credited or reckoned—to us and our sinful failure is imputed—or credited or reckoned—to Christ.

Accordingly, Jesus’ undeserved death pays for our sin (Mark 10:45; 1 Tim. 2:5-6; Rev. 5:9); and God’s demand for us to be perfectly righteous is satisfied by the imputation or crediting of Christ’s perfect righteousness to us.

“If justification were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose” (Gal. 2:21). But “God has done what the law … could not do” (Rom. 8:3).

For those wanting to dig a wee bit deeper:
View attachment 20771

AMR

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Can our justification cannot come through the law? No. See Gal. 2:21; Acts 13:38-39.

Each and every one of us (Rom. 3:10-12, 19-20) has failed to do what God’s law requires of us (Gal. 3:10; 6:13; James 2:10 and forward).

What God requires, Christ provides. God mercifully has provided his Son as a twofold substitute for us. Both aspects of Christ’s substitution are crucial for our becoming right with God (justified).

(2) Jesus did not fail—he alone has kept God’s law perfectly (see Heb. 4:15) and so he should not have died.

Yet in his mercy God has provided in Christ a great substitution—a blessed exchange—according to which Jesus can stand in for us with God, offering his perfect righteousness in place of our failure and his own life’s blood in place of ours. Indeed, ours is an alien righteousness, that of another, Our Lord.

When we receive the mercy God offers us in Christ by faith (Acts 16:31; 1 Tim. 1:15-16; 1 Pet. 1:8-9), Christ's perfection is imputed—or credited or reckoned—to us and our sinful failure is imputed—or credited or reckoned—to Christ.

Accordingly, Jesus’ undeserved death pays for our sin (Mark 10:45; 1 Tim. 2:5-6; Rev. 5:9); and God’s demand for us to be perfectly righteous is satisfied by the imputation or crediting of Christ’s perfect righteousness to us.

“If justification were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose” (Gal. 2:21). But “God has done what the law … could not do” (Rom. 8:3).

View attachment 20771

AMR
For those that put up a big fuss about total depravity, you don't have to dig that deep cause t.u.l.i.p. floats on top of the gospel like butter from milk. You can see it in plain view but hidden from the protesters

turbosixx

Grace is all that it takes. Works are not necessary.

Ephesians 2:8-9 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift—
9 not from works, so that no one can boast.

You are not looking at this properly. It doesn't say without works but not "from works". Then it goes on to say we are created for works and would walk in them.

10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

turbosixx

DEFINE WORKS

IS IT GOOD WORKS OR WORKS OF THE LAW ????????

I would say works "of the law" are just that, works of the law. We are not under "the law" because Christ has nailed it to the tree.

Here is an idea of what works look like, good and bad.

Gal. 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Last edited:

Cross Reference

Where does it say that Jesus Christ kept the law IN OUR STEAD?

It does NOT.

Would it matter to do if it was spelled any better than it has been? Would it change anything IN you or dazed if it was in BIG BOLD letters? "I, Jesus Christ, kept the law in your stead!"
I don't think so.

Cross Reference

View attachment 20771

AMR

Amen! Exactly! Tis a shame this needed to be spelled out to [self proclaimed] Christians. It is the reason I said up front that had Jesus not kept the law, thus fulfilling it, He could not have redeemed man; canceled out Adam's transgression. In Him was the fullness of the Godhead revealed in human flesh; God's representation of normal man as He intended Him, perfect in every way. And for His victory God: ". . . . . has highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth" Philippians 2:9,10 (KJV)

nikolai_42

So as I already said, there's no real difference. Works are determining salvation.

Determining? No. Evidencing? Yes.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10

There is, however, no infallible checklist of what is to be expected from any believer at any specific time (in terms of fruit). Remember why (and when) Jesus cursed the fig tree....

Cross Reference

Determining? No. Evidencing? Yes.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10

There is, however, no infallible checklist of what is to be expected from any believer at any specific time (in terms of fruit). Remember why (and when) Jesus cursed the fig tree....

Only one: Work out your salvation in [Godly] fear and trembling that it results in you [me] being conformed to His image. Commit to that and everything else will be incidental.