ECT For those who believe God requires works to be or stay saved

musterion

Question:

What is their purpose? How do works figure in to you getting or staying justified, to the point that without works you will be lost? What is it exactly that your works do for you, or for God, or both?

Mr. 5020

Question:

What is their purpose? How do works figure in to you getting or staying justified, to the point that without works you will be lost? What is it exactly that your works do for you, or for God, or both?
Are you talking about what is called 'Lordship Salvation'?

musterion

Well, the 'Lordship Salvation' crowd don't think works are required for salvation, but they believe that works will be a result of salvation.

They believe works are required as verifying proof of salvation, else salvation is disproved or at best dubious; that's what LS is all about. So there's no real difference; LS just puts the work requirement after salvation instead of up front as most do. It's still a false gospel.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus spoke the truth.

Joh 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
Joh 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
Joh 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
Joh 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Joh 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Luk 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

LA

nikolai_42

They believe works are required as verifying proof of salvation, else salvation is disproved or at best dubious; that's what LS is all about. So there's no real difference; LS just puts the work requirement after salvation instead of up front as most do. It's still a false gospel.

Just a point here...there's a huge difference between works as a prerequisite and works as a standard. When you inspect a tree, you don't look for fruit to grow on the roots. If it did, something would be very wrong.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, the 'Lordship Salvation' crowd don't think works are required for salvation, but they believe that works will be a result of salvation.

I just posted this in another thread, "easy grace".

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

When they do not acknowledge that in Christ there is no sin and death, they always watch behavior. Dead to sin means dead to sin.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Jesus spoke the truth.

Joh 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
Joh 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
Joh 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Joh 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Luk 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

LA

NEWSFLASH

LA has forsaken all she has to follow the Lord

DAN P

Jesus spoke the truth.

Joh 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. LA

Hi and since you believe in BRANCHES , just where is a verse tjat says that the Body of Christ is GROWING Branches and VINE'S ??

Does Christ know we are doing this BUSINESS on the side ??

dan p

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I just posted this in another thread, "easy grace".

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

When they do not acknowledge that in Christ there is no sin and death, they always watch behavior. Dead to sin means dead to sin.

Do you sin?

LA

turbosixx

Question:

What is their purpose?

They have a lot of purposes but one is by them we can know where we and others stand with God.
Titus 1:16 They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed.
1 Jn. 2:5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:

How do works figure in to you getting or staying justified, to the point that without works you will be lost?
When we are told of people being sent to hell in scripture, what are they accused of? Sin. If I understand OSAS, shouldn’t belief be the standard and not works? In the parable of the talents, the three men were all servants of the master but why was the one cast into hell and not the others? James 4:17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.
In Matt. 7, they recognized Jesus as Lord and saying Lord, Lord shows sincerity but what is his charge against them? you who practice lawlessness.'
Then he illustrates the point with the parable of the builders.
Wise man - hears these words of Mine and acts on them
Foolish man - hears these words of Mine and does not act on them
Belief is action, not just mental understanding.

What is it exactly that your works do for you, or for God, or both?
They glorify and please God.
Matt. 5:16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
Eph. 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
Phil. 2:13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Last edited:

turbosixx

Question:

Why do you think God put the tree of knowledge in the middle of the garden by the tree of life and why did he allow Satan in the garden to talk to man?

brewmama

Isn't the very act of believing or having faith a work? If not, why not?

Didn't Paul tell us to work out our salvation in fear and trembling?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Isn't the very act of believing or having faith a work? If not, why not?

Didn't Paul tell us to work out our salvation in fear and trembling?

This text is often misused to instill fear into people, warning them that it means that they can lose salvation. What does it mean to work out our salvation with fear and trembling?

Paul can hardly be encouraging believers to live in a continuous condition of nervousness and anxiety. That would contradict his many other exhortations to peace of mind, courage, and confidence in the God who authors our salvation.

The Greek word translated "fear" in this context can equally mean "reverence" or "respect." Paul uses the same phrase in (2 Corinthians 7:15) where he refers to Titus as being encouraged by the Corinthians’ reception of him “with fear and trembling,” that is, with great humility and respect for his position as a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Paul himself came to the Corinthian church in “weakness and fear, and with much trembling” (1 Corinthians 2:3), mindful of the great and awesome nature of the work in which he was engaged.
http://www.gotquestions.org/fear-and-trembling.html